MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, August 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 77.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Peanut Butter Perturbs Principled Progressive Principal

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Peanut Butter Perturbs Principled Progressive Principal

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:10 pm

It's really way past time to blow up the government/public school/union troika...

Portland school sees racism in peanut butter and jelly sandwiches

In an effort to combat perceived discrimination, one Portland school seems to have gone off the deep end by suggesting peanut butter and jelly sandwiches carry racist connotations, Twitchy reported Monday.

According to the Portland Tribune, Verenice Gutierrez, principal of Harvey Scott K-8 School, "picks up on the subtle language of racism" on a daily basis.

"Take the peanut butter sandwich, a seemingly innocent example a teacher used in a lesson last school year," the Tribune said.

“What about Somali or Hispanic students, who might not eat sandwiches?” Gutierrez asked. “Another way would be to say: ‘Americans eat peanut butter and jelly, do you have anything like that?’ Let them tell you. Maybe they eat torta. Or pita.”

http://www.examiner.com/article/portlan ... sandwiches
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 13256
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 2:48 pm

Re: Peanut Butter Perturbs Principled Progressive Principal

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:21 pm

Why does it mater? You can't send your kid to school with a PB&J anyway.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2318
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:11 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Peanut Butter Perturbs Principled Progressive Principal

Postby wack wack » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:02 pm

Think that's crazy?! At a lot of private schools teach that there is a benevolent man in the sky who loves every single one of us and has an afterlife home waiting for us. And they don't just teach it, they believe this shit, too.

The racism of peanut butter and jelly doesn't approach the crazy we allow in private schools.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3122
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2003 5:32 pm

Re: Peanut Butter Perturbs Principled Progressive Principal

Postby Dangerousman » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:06 pm

wack wack wrote:Think that's crazy?! At a lot of private schools teach that there is a benevolent man in the sky who loves every single one of us and has an afterlife home waiting for us. And they don't just teach it, they believe this shit, too.

The racism of peanut butter and jelly doesn't approach the crazy we allow in private schools.


Crazy perhaps, but do you believe it ought not to be allowed?
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2292
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:28 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Peanut Butter Perturbs Principled Progressive Principal

Postby Mean Scenester » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:13 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:Why does it mater? You can't send your kid to school with a PB&J anyway.

Before Flanders freaks out about some hyper-vigilant nanny state action in light of your post ... the only time your statement is true is when there is a kid with a peanut allergy in the classroom. I send my son off to school with PB&J regularly.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1301
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:56 pm

Re: Peanut Butter Perturbs Principled Progressive Principal

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:19 pm

Mean Scenester wrote:
Francis Di Domizio wrote:Why does it mater? You can't send your kid to school with a PB&J anyway.

Before Flanders freaks out about some hyper-vigilant nanny state action in light of your post ... the only time your statement is true is when there is a kid with a peanut allergy in the classroom. I send my son off to school with PB&J regularly.


Seems like a funnier freak out than, what's the appropriate snack for a math problem.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2318
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:11 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Peanut Butter Perturbs Principled Progressive Principal

Postby wack wack » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:21 pm

Dangerousman wrote:
wack wack wrote:Think that's crazy?! At a lot of private schools teach that there is a benevolent man in the sky who loves every single one of us and has an afterlife home waiting for us. And they don't just teach it, they believe this shit, too.

The racism of peanut butter and jelly doesn't approach the crazy we allow in private schools.


Crazy perhaps, but do you believe it ought not to be allowed?


I believe PB&J should be allowed, and private school crazy should not.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3122
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2003 5:32 pm

Re: Peanut Butter Perturbs Principled Progressive Principal

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:39 pm

wack wack wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:
wack wack wrote:Think that's crazy?! At a lot of private schools teach that there is a benevolent man in the sky who loves every single one of us and has an afterlife home waiting for us. And they don't just teach it, they believe this shit, too.

The racism of peanut butter and jelly doesn't approach the crazy we allow in private schools.


Crazy perhaps, but do you believe it ought not to be allowed?


I believe PB&J should be allowed, and private school crazy should not.


While your willingness to throw the first amendment under the bus does not shock me, the fact that you would do it to defend a PB&J is a little disconcerting.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2318
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:11 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Peanut Butter Perturbs Principled Progressive Principal

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:48 pm

Dangerousman wrote:Crazy perhaps, but do you believe it ought not to be allowed?


Where in that article did they say it was not to be allowed.

That was one of the most poorly written articles I've seen in a long time. There was one quote from a principal that turned into a rant about something by these folks.

Here is the original article.

http://portlandtribune.com/pt-rss/9-new ... for-equity

It was picked up by Twitchy.com and turned into them banning the word. I never read that. The Examiner then goes on to add two more quotes from Twitchy and a quote from someones tweet.

Jeebus Christ is that what reporting has come to.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4813
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:59 pm

Re: Peanut Butter Perturbs Principled Progressive Principal

Postby wack wack » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:56 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:
wack wack wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:Crazy perhaps, but do you believe it ought not to be allowed?


I believe PB&J should be allowed, and private school crazy should not.


While your willingness to throw the first amendment under the bus does not shock me, the fact that you would do it to defend a PB&J is a little disconcerting.


I'm not pushing for policy, merely stating my opinion. Throwing the First Amendment under the bus? Yeah, that's what I did.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3122
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2003 5:32 pm

Re: Peanut Butter Perturbs Principled Progressive Principal

Postby TAsunder » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:26 pm

Seems accurate to me. If 50% of your students are hispanic and almost 75% minority in general, there's a good chance that many students don't have PB&J deeply embedded in their culture and wouldn't understand it well as an example. If your school year is full of such small misunderstandings then, yeah, your students might perform poorly. I'm no rocket scientist but this seems like intuitively obvious stuff to me -- unless you are Ned.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4781
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2001 1:21 pm
Location: Near East Side, Madison

Re: Peanut Butter Perturbs Principled Progressive Principal

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:33 pm

TAsunder wrote:Seems accurate to me. If 50% of your students are hispanic and almost 75% minority in general, there's a good chance that many students don't have PB&J deeply embedded in their culture and wouldn't understand it well as an example. If your school year is full of such small misunderstandings then, yeah, your students might perform poorly. I'm no rocket scientist but this seems like intuitively obvious stuff to me -- unless you are Ned.



but couldn't you make a learning experience out of it, and teach the students what sandwiches are first?

wack wack wrote:I'm not pushing for policy, merely stating my opinion. Throwing the First Amendment under the bus? Yeah, that's what I did.

Your denial's are meaningless, clearly you object to a private schools first amendment right to believe and teach it's students about the Great Green Arkleseizure.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2318
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:11 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Peanut Butter Perturbs Principled Progressive Principal

Postby jman111 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:36 pm

I wouldn't call it "racism" or "discrimination", but it seems that it could definitely be viewed as culturally insensitive- the kind of insensitivity that could affect students' performance and their ability to grasp certain concepts. But I don't consider myself an educator, so I could be wrong.

I seem to recall hearing about studies that examined this problem with "word problems" on standardized tests. When the questions utilized terms and concepts that weren't "culturally neutral", some kids were left at a disadvantage.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2974
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:43 pm
Location: Dane County

Re: Peanut Butter Perturbs Principled Progressive Principal

Postby TAsunder » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:44 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:but couldn't you make a learning experience out of it, and teach the students what sandwiches are first?


Yes, as long as you recognize the potential issue (which the principal did, and the teacher did not, apparently).
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4781
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2001 1:21 pm
Location: Near East Side, Madison

Re: Peanut Butter Perturbs Principled Progressive Principal

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:00 pm

TAsunder wrote:
Francis Di Domizio wrote:but couldn't you make a learning experience out of it, and teach the students what sandwiches are first?


Yes, as long as you recognize the potential issue (which the principal did, and the teacher did not, apparently).


It seems to me though that the Portland school district is more interested in making sure that the language is inclusive rather than making sure that the students are included. If culturally sensitive words are avoided then how will students from other cultures learn what they mean? On the other hand it's also reasonable to expect the students learn about Iskudhexkaris and other food from different cultures.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2318
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:11 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Next

Return to Headlines

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR

cron
Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar