MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 69.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

"Romney boasts about Bain's slave labor profits"

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: "Romney boasts about Bain's slave labor profits"

Postby ArturoBandini » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:12 pm

rabble wrote:Feeling bad about shirking your responsibilities is really goddamned low.
That's not what I feel bad about.

I posed some other, less snarky questions in my last post. I'm curious to know your response, especially to the last one, which was not rhetorical.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:05 pm

ArturoBandini wrote:
Bland wrote:Empathy is a qualification for being a decent human being. People who lack it are called psychopaths. Shouldn't not being a psychopath be on your short-list of what to look for in a candidate?
Maybe so. But by your definition, I'm not sure there are any non-psychopaths running.

I think it's reasonable to look at past Presidents, especially those that, outside the context of this discussion, many people would hold in high esteem. I think there is a reasonable argument that many or most of them would qualify as psychopaths. It might even be a (regrettably) necessary condition to execute the job as it is currently defined.

Well, some may consider them psychopaths, but not because of lack of empathy.

How timely

The study, which was based on presidential performance ratings and personality assessments by hundreds of historians and biographers in several different surveys, found that one psychopathic characteristic in particular was linked to success in presidency: fearless dominance.

It's not to say that American presidents are full-blown psychopaths — they didn't rate high in all categories of psychopathic traits.

Overall, the study found, presidents tended to be more like psychopaths than the general population in their level of fearless dominance, but they didn't show a psychopathic excess of impulsive antisocial behavior.

Moreover, bold leadership isn't just a quality found in psychopaths — or presidents. Everyone falls somewhere along the scale, from timid to bold, from follower to leader. And psychopathic traits like fearless dominance — or others like impulsivity, callousness and dishonesty — also appear in varying degrees in the general population.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:42 pm

The series of videos are going a bit mainstream. No word from team Romney yet:

Mitt Romney Video: Barack Obama Voters 'Dependent On Government'

Appears this is a new one and they're being slowly rolled out.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:16 pm

From Rolling Stone - Greed and Debt: The True Story of Mitt Romney and Bain Capital

Subtitled: "How the GOP presidential candidate and his private equity firm staged an epic wealth grab, destroyed jobs – and stuck others with the bill"
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:22 pm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ele ... d/?hpid=z1

Looks like the Washington Post acknowledges the existence and significance of the videos.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:11 pm

Stebben84 wrote:The series of videos are going a bit mainstream. No word from team Romney yet:

Mitt Romney Video: Barack Obama Voters 'Dependent On Government'

Appears this is a new one and they're being slowly rolled out.

Romney thinks half the citizens in this country, including most retirees, are worthless parasites:
There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:44 pm

There seems to be enough chatter about Romney's "entitlement" speech that perhaps the media will trot out the Chinese factory story too. It follows a theme that has dogged Romney since he managed to force himself into the public spotlight. Not only does Mitt Romney have troubles relating to average Americans, it seems as though he positively detests them.

President Obama also spoke up about filing a complaint against the Chinese for protectionism and currency manipulation and I wouldn't be surprised if that was a rope-a-dope intending to goad Romney into a conversation about outsourcing. Romney took the bait, had some head-scratchingly tough words for how he would deal with China, but of course he'll look like a fool when voters get his attitudes about outsourcing from his own speech.

I'd be curious to see if some of the Super PAC money gets shifted to House and Senate races as the Romney campaign self-destructs.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:03 pm

Not only does Mitt Romney have troubles relating to average Americans, it seems as though he positively detests them.

Another well-put and insightful pj-ism.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:13 pm

pjbogart wrote:I'd be curious to see if some of the Super PAC money gets shifted to House and Senate races as the Romney campaign self-destructs.

Errh, do you think? I think that's happening, but I suspect the rain narrative needs some work before the piss starts hitting our collective backside.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:09 am

"You go into these small towns in Pennsylvania and, like a lot of small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing's replaced them. And they fell through the Clinton administration, and the Bush administration, and each successive administration has said that somehow these communities are gonna regenerate and they have not.
And it's not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy toward people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."

BHO
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:33 am

Sorry, Ned, but that statement is more true today than it was four years ago. What Obama was lamenting became an entire political movement. People become angry and resentful when they're financially down. They look for a scapegoat or a sacred cow. What might have sounded like a bitter statement four years ago now seems like prescient analysis.

What Romney complained about is that poor people are lazy and greedy. Romney complained that people have unrealistic expectations, like being able to eat. Romney bragged about moving people's jobs to China, then turned around and criticized them for not having a job.

And it's all cued up on tape, ready for a TV or radio commercial near you.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:50 am

Sure pj. Whatever you say. Don't worry, Obama's media lapdogs will run with this until they collapse into a sweaty, quivering, thrill-up-their-legs pool of goo.

In the meatime, we've just had an ambassador kidnapped, sodomized, murdered and dragged through the streets by the 7th century throwbacks that Obama so loves to bow to. Oh, and he a Hillary were given ample warning about this days before it happened. But who cares, right?
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bleurose » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:03 am

And I can't help remembering - disgustedly - Ann Romney's reference to "you people" and "it's our turn". Says the entitled lady of the manor who never had a moment's worry about where the $$ would come from to pay the servants who would make sure that she didn't have to spend all of her time 'raising' those kids. After all, she had a very expensive horse she had to pay attention to as well.

I also was particularly repulsed by her throwing a hissy fit when it was a distinct possibility that her convention speech would be cancelled. However, it was good that she got the publicity - between her & Stepford Wife Ryan the country has a much better idea of what we'd get with their spouses. A big irony is that Paul Ryan has never been a productive member of society by Mitt's own definition - he's never held a real job, he's been a politician all his life.
bleurose
Forum Addict

Postby wack wack » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:07 am

Ned Flanders wrote:Sure pj. Whatever you say. Don't worry, Obama's media lapdogs will run with this until they collapse into a sweaty, quivering, thrill-up-their-legs pool of goo.

In the meatime, we've just had an ambassador kidnapped, sodomized, murdered and dragged through the streets by the 7th century throwbacks that Obama so loves to bow to. Oh, and he a Hillary were given ample warning about this days before it happened. But who cares, right?

it is really sad, the things you don't understand. But your bitter anger brings me great peace.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:09 am

Romney's words get a scathing review by David Brooks, moderate-conservative voice at the NYT. He thinks Romney's campaign is blowing it badly, in substance and not just in style. His opinion may signify a shift by others who share his political leanings.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/18/opini ... dv7Ld7OFeA
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government