MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, August 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 79.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton at Andrews Air Force Base

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton at Andrews Air Force Base

Postby Endo Rockstar » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:40 am

The Video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjHzEHGzHYA

A few things come to mind:

1. Secretary of State is a hard job. People who work for you, whom you've come to rely on, and whom you respect and care about, die. Not just on a battlefield, but in diplomatic service to other countries as well as their own. That's some heavy stuff.

2. I'm proud as hell that Hillary has the job. She's tough as hell and smarter than most. And.... she cares, her words focused on the people that make our country go 'round and the resolve that those dedicated few must have in order to deal with adversity that can cost them their lives.

3. Fuck Romney for using the deceased as political poker chips. These people had lives and families and friends and amazing careers. They didn't die to be disrespected by a rich white guy with more money than brains.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Secretary of State Hillary Clinton at Andrews Air Force

Postby fennel » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:13 pm

"If he's so rich, why ain't he smart?"
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:36 pm

I think Hillary Clinton will go down as one of the greatest secretaries of state ever. She's managed to combine professionalism and a high energy level with empathy, and I believe the worldwide public, generally, understands that. I am proud that she has represented us for the last four years.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:08 pm

Endo Rockstar wrote: They didn't die to be disrespected by a rich white guy with more money than brains.

-Dan Motor

Very good. You've managed to inject class warfare, racism and sexism in just three words.
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:50 pm

doppel wrote:
Endo Rockstar wrote: They didn't die to be disrespected by a rich white guy with more money than brains.

-Dan Motor

Very good. You've managed to inject class warfare, racism and sexism in just three words.

I don't hate Mitt Romney for being white, I hate him for acting white.

Douche.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:55 am

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:08 am

doppel wrote:Very good. You've managed to inject class warfare, racism and sexism in just three words.

"There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right -- there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent on government, who believe that, that they are victims, who believe that government has the responsibility to care for them. Who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing." -- Mitt Romney

Yeah, Dan. How dare you inject a tone of class warfare into this whole debate?! Ain't that just like a Democrat?
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:27 am

OK, I give up. I know I shouldn't engage this but...
Ned, what was the point of your picture?

I know you must think there's something hilarious or embarrassing about it, but I'll be damned if I can figure it out. Looks to me like a group of co-workers who (and I'm just guessing, since of course you posted it devoid of any context) recently received some good news and are celebrating. What do you think is going on?
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:51 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:OK, I give up. I know I shouldn't engage this but...
Ned, what was the point of your picture?

I know you must think there's something hilarious or embarrassing about it, but I'll be damned if I can figure it out. Looks to me like a group of co-workers who (and I'm just guessing, since of course you posted it devoid of any context) recently received some good news and are celebrating. What do you think is going on?

Except it's a photoshop anyway. Ned can't even tell the truth when he's trying.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:05 am

Too hilarious.

When you got nothin', just photoshop some... uh... more nothing?
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:56 am

Off topic, I've often wondered what interest TDPF feels it's serving by allowing nonsense like Ned's. The Isthmus is a news organization, right? If I were to post doctored photos of politicos on CNN's news site, do you think they'd tolerate that? If they were feeling generous, perhaps they'd delete the photo and warn me not to do it again, but more likely they'd simply deactivate my account. As a news organization, they have an interest in preserving their integrity. Allowing their website to be a playground for liars does not preserve their integrity.

And yes, I recognize that there's a difference between Ned's photo and obviously photo shopped material, such as an elephant standing on top of Mitt Romney. But in this case the photo is meant to be taken seriously. It's intended to give the impression that the President and Hillary Clinton are not serious, drinking on the job, perhaps engaged in an extra-marital relationship and just generally unprofessional. And those black men are always after our white women! There are layers of propaganda in that one simple photo.

In Ned's defense, perhaps he didn't realize it was a photo shop. Or perhaps there's more value in debunking the altered photo than any damage that could have been done by posting it.

Regardless, I don't think it's appropriate, and it's especially inappropriate for a news organization to allow such blatant propaganda on their website. We aren't talking about spinning a story to further a political narrative, we're talking about a flat out lie. The Isthmus has no interest in preserving people's right to lie.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:50 am

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:17 pm

Now what does THAT mean, Ned?
You are an enigma today. So besides still needing to explain what you thought was so awful about the first pic, you also need to apologize for the fakery, and then explain what the hell the second pic is supposed to mean. Get crackin'.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:21 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Now what does THAT mean, Ned?
You are an enigma today. So besides still needing to explain what you thought was so awful about the first pic, you also need to apologize for the fakery, and then explain what the hell the second pic is supposed to mean. Get crackin'.

Sorry Prof. I'm kinda busy today. You can use this:
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:56 pm

I think we need to cut Flanders some slack. Given that his candidate's campaign is in total disarray and full-throttle panic mode, it's likely his handlers haven't gotten around to sending him his weekly talking points yet.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to National Politics & Government