MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 34.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Ann Althouse: Romney video no big deal

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Ann Althouse: Romney video no big deal

Postby pjbogart » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:48 am

SlayerDave wrote:Romney's comments are dumb, and it's really important to note that the reason 47% of Americans pay no income tax is largely a result of Republican policies, so it's pretty silly to moan about it.

Who doesn't pay any taxes? For decades now we've lowered income taxes and replaced them with sales taxes, sin taxes, property taxes, etc. Were you under the impression that people who rent an apartment don't pay any property taxes? Do you suppose the landlord factors their taxes into the monthly rent? Don't you pay taxes on gasoline when you fill your tank? Consumer goods other than food? Cigarettes? Alcohol? A sticker in your windshield to visit State Parks? Vehicle registration? Internet, cable and phone bill?

Who are these people who pay no taxes? I've never met one.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:55 am

SlayerDave wrote:Romney's comments are dumb, and it's really important to note that the reason 47% of Americans pay no income tax is largely a result of Republican policies, so it's pretty silly to moan about it.

That said, I do take issue with the notion that this is real harmful politically. It seems likely to me that people in the 47% Romney talks about are less likely to think "He's insulting me" than "Yeah! F--- those guys!"

"Is you is, or is you ain't, my constituents?"

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/arc ... o.facebook
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:09 am

From Brooks:
"The people who receive the disproportionate share of government spending are not big-government lovers. They are Republicans. They are senior citizens. They are white men with high school degrees. As Bill Galston of the Brookings Institution has noted, the people who have benefited from the entitlements explosion are middle-class workers, more so than the dependent poor"

bdog wrote:"Altmouse"? "idiot"?
That is some great "commentary" Stu, mockable all on it's own.
What does Mommy Terese think of commentary like that?

Hey DawgBoy! Wake me when your boy Meade stops calling people names and mocking them in service of his incisive "commentary."

Maybe you could change your moniker to AltDog.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:11 am

The best thing about Mitt is this: when he steps in shit, instead of running away, he jumps as high as he can in order to land hard with BOTH feet in the shit.

Mitt Romney said Monday evening that his comments about voters who don't pay income taxes were "not elegantly stated," but did not distance himself from the substance of his surreptitiously recorded remarks at a closed-door fundraiser in May.

http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2012 ... tated?lite
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:15 am

Also: if Romney was Latino, he'd have this thing in the bag.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:19 am

rrnate wrote:Also: if Romney was Latino, he'd have this thing in the bag.

Mitt Romneyo - Es En El Bago
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:43 am

No big deal?

I agree with the last paragraph of this opinion, which is quoted below.

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2012/09/re ... ocrat.html

The revelations in this video come to me as a genuine shock. I have never hated Romney. I presumed his ideological makeover since he set out to run for president was largely phony, even if he was now committed to carry through with it, and to whatever extent he’d come to believe his own lines, he was oblivious or naïve about the damage he would inflict upon the poor, sick, and vulnerable. It seems unavoidable now to conclude that Romney’s embrace of Paul Ryanism is born of actual contempt for the looters and moochers, a class war on behalf of his own class.

I can do without the "class war' phrase, but the rest of the paragraph speaks my mind. And anyone not shocked places herself squarely in Romney's camp, which is revealed to be without any social conscience whatever.

Might as well be proud of it, because you can't hide it any longer.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:29 am

scratch wrote: Maybe you could change your moniker to AltDog.

I prefer Meadehead.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SlayerDave » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:03 pm

pjbogart wrote:

Who doesn't pay any taxes? For decades now we've lowered income taxes and replaced them with sales taxes, sin taxes, property taxes, etc. Were you under the impression that people who rent an apartment don't pay any property taxes? Do you suppose the landlord factors their taxes into the monthly rent? Don't you pay taxes on gasoline when you fill your tank? Consumer goods other than food? Cigarettes? Alcohol? A sticker in your windshield to visit State Parks? Vehicle registration? Internet, cable and phone bill?

Who are these people who pay no taxes? I've never met one.

.????

Utterly at a loss trying to figure out where I suggested otherwise.
SlayerDave
Forum Addict

Postby SlayerDave » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:14 pm

snoqueen wrote:No big deal?

I agree with the last paragraph of this opinion, which is quoted below.

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2012/09/re ... ocrat.html

The revelations in this video come to me as a genuine shock. I have never hated Romney. I presumed his ideological makeover since he set out to run for president was largely phony, even if he was now committed to carry through with it, and to whatever extent he’d come to believe his own lines, he was oblivious or naïve about the damage he would inflict upon the poor, sick, and vulnerable. It seems unavoidable now to conclude that Romney’s embrace of Paul Ryanism is born of actual contempt for the looters and moochers, a class war on behalf of his own class.

I can do without the "class war' phrase, but the rest of the paragraph speaks my mind. And anyone not shocked places herself squarely in Romney's camp, which is revealed to be without any social conscience whatever.

Might as well be proud of it, because you can't hide it any longer.

I don't quite understand the "window to his soul" argument.

If the (entirely warranted!) criticism of Romney to date was "He just tells people what they want to hear", this seems to fit quite nicely into that narrative too. I mean, don't you think wealthy donors want to hear how worthless non wealthy people are?
SlayerDave
Forum Addict

Postby Abdul » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:07 pm

Things are looking up under Romeny. Just a few months ago I was a member of the 1%. Now he has promoted me to the 47%. Feces, I should be in the majority in no time. Thanks Mr. Howell.
Abdul

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:20 pm

Mitt Romney will probably get 95 electoral votes from ‘moocher’ states. Obama will probably get 5.

Actually, yes. The Tax Foundation put out this helpful map of the states with the highest and lowest percentage of people who don’t file income tax returns. The biggest non-filing states are — except Florida and New Mexico — solid red states...

...in terms of the electoral college, many of the states Romney is taking for granted, and some of the states he’s working hardest to win, have the highest populations of “takers” he derided as part of the Democrats’ base.

I also wonder if one of the reasons Romney hasn't released more of his tax returns is because he is one of those non-taxpaying moochers.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:39 pm

Huh?

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swimmingupstream » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:50 pm

Bunch of Hillbillies live in those states.

Right Meade. :wink:
swimmingupstream
Forum Addict

Postby Detritus » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:23 pm

Mean Scenester wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:As a bitter clinger, I agree with Althouse.

At long last! Flanderseses's true identity revealed!

Hmm, I assumed that, in Ned's case, "bitter clinger" was a euphemism for "dingleberry."
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government