MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, September 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 62.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Ace Meadowood going out of Business

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Ace Meadowood going out of Business

Postby Mad Howler » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:47 pm

I received this info yesterday. I happened to be at Dorn on Midvale and the belt line today. I asked a most helpful gent what he thought aboutm being a member of a dwindling group of hardware stores in the area, I pointed to the closure on Raymond Rd. His response was something like that's a bad neighborhood and that shots were fired over there. I suggested that the ace location seems busy and reminded him that his location is no more favorable and that shots have been fired in near his location in the recent past. At that point I think we shared a similar sense of desperation.

I read the following last night and found it annoying, still do. The thing is a part of me finds the kernel of the discussion relevant:
http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/m ... 963f4.html
Last edited by Mad Howler on Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Ace Meadowood going out of Business

Postby bdog » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:50 pm

David Blaska and Vicki McKenna discussed this on her show today.

I do believe the unsavory characters and incidents in the area hastened the store's closing, but Home Depot had a bigger hand in it.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:15 pm

bdog wrote:I do believe the unsavory characters and incidents in the area hastened the store's closing, but Home Depot had a bigger hand in it.

Unlike the post in the Tammy is Meat thread, this post actually made sense. Did you get some fresh air?
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:20 pm

So Garg, have you experienced the unsavory characters near the Ace hardware?

It all makes sense. Tofu...still lmao
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:32 pm

bdog wrote:David Blaska and Vicki McKenna discussed this on her show today.

Both players of problems.

bdog wrote:I do believe the unsavory characters and incidents in the area hastened the store's closing, but Home Depot had a bigger hand in it.

Again, the local of HD is smack up against the Allied locale. You have provided no evidence that you couldn't really give a flying F about the community.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:41 pm

Sorry MH but you really need to elaborate on that last post.

Have you been to Home Depot vs. Ace Hardware lately?

Worlds apart.

And...I will elaborate...Dave and Vicki were implying that shop-lifting was rampant at Ace.

I don't believe it.

I do believe people abandoned the store in favor of home depot. Number one reason was price, number two was the shitheads encountered in the Meadowood shopping center.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:12 pm

bdog wrote:Sorry MH but you really need to elaborate on that last post.

Worlds apart.

What the hell are you talking about? Do you think I would have initiated this if I had not been a regular of either? I assume you mean HD Verona rd and Ace Meadowood. Local anchors, such as a hardware store, fulfill a niche in a way that the the boxes do not choose to. So forgive me for pointing this out as a big loss to a sector of my community. Although, given the tenor of your posts I have an odd feeling that your focus could have some basis in the fact that our mayor has made a big effort in this part of our community. The attention to this issue you pointed out by a certain radio presence only serves to re-enforce my suspicion that you really do not give a flying F.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:19 pm

Potential reasons for Ace closure, and percentage that the reason plays in the decision to close.

A) Shoplifting by unsavory characters. 0.5%. To have shoplifters, you have to have people going through the doors. Who goes to Ace anymore?

B) Unsavory characters scared away customers. 0.5%. We have a library two doors down that is always busy, as is the Walgreens.

C) Neighborhood changing from homeowners to renters. 1%. Not much of a factor because the neighborhood housing mix hasn't appreciably changed.

D) Perception of area by older white shoppers. 8%. There are some crime problems, but it's improved over the last three years. There are more black kids in the neighborhood, and some white folks aren't happy about it.

E) People are taking advantage of better selection and price at Home Depot. 90%. Ace is just not big enough to have broad selection, and prices are usually better a HD.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:07 pm

Donald wrote:Potential reasons for Ace closure, and percentage that the reason plays in the decision to close.

B) Unsavory characters scared away customers. 0.5%. We have a library two doors down that is always busy, as is the Walgreens.

E) People are taking advantage of better selection and price at Home Depot. 90%. Ace is just not big enough to have broad selection, and prices are usually better a HD.

Donald, I agree with all of your points. Here's the thing; HD is also generally off my list, unless I can't find there offerings elsewhere, as Menards is on average cheaper. But the big savings come at Harbor Freight for tools that you need to use infrequently, it's mostly of sino origin anyway now a days. The sweet thing about shops such as Ace is that they generally have in house knowledge that helps you swiftly get through your weekend tasks. So in the day and age of celebrating service (i.e. effective face time) why is the collapse of this business such a piece of red meat to "right wing" agitators?
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:21 pm

Donald wrote:Potential reasons for Ace closure, and percentage that the reason plays in the decision to close.

A) Shoplifting by unsavory characters. 0.5%. To have shoplifters, you have to have people going through the doors. Who goes to Ace anymore?

C) Neighborhood changing from homeowners to renters. 1%. Not much of a factor because the neighborhood housing mix hasn't appreciably changed.

D) Perception of area by older white shoppers. 8%. There are some crime problems, but it's improved over the last three years. There are more black kids in the neighborhood, and some white folks aren't happy about it.

It's cool how everybody here, on all sides, knows more than the owners. Personally, I think that Home Depot has stolen my business more from Menards. My business at Ace is probably the same.

Changing over to renters DOES have an impact. Chances are that the landlord does not live nearby. They are either bringing materials from Menards, or are hiring a contractor who does. I'm sure Walgreens is vulturing some sales for batteries, light bulbs, and whatnot as well.

That mall is the only place in Madison that I have been panhandled other than State Street. A co-worker's son was mugged walking home from his job there. I'm sure there are other areas of town that have more issues, but that doesn't discount the issues that are here.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:34 am

Igor wrote:
It's cool how everybody here, on all sides, knows more than the owners. Personally, I think that Home Depot has stolen my business more from Menards. My business at Ace is probably the same.

Changing over to renters DOES have an impact. Chances are that the landlord does not live nearby. They are either bringing materials from Menards, or are hiring a contractor who does. I'm sure Walgreens is vulturing some sales for batteries, light bulbs, and whatnot as well.

That mall is the only place in Madison that I have been panhandled other than State Street. A co-worker's son was mugged walking home from his job there. I'm sure there are other areas of town that have more issues, but that doesn't discount the issues that are here.

Well put, but I don't think I have second guessed the owners decision to cut loose. Although, my experience over the last 5 years suggests that this was not a rash decision. It always sucks when places like these exit a community. It really does, and the lingering effects keep burrowing deeper.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:18 am

Mad Howler wrote:
bdog wrote:Sorry MH but you really need to elaborate on that last post.

Worlds apart.

What the hell are you talking about? Do you think I would have initiated this if I had not been a regular of either? I assume you mean HD Verona rd and Ace Meadowood. Local anchors, such as a hardware store, fulfill a niche in a way that the the boxes do not choose to. So forgive me for pointing this out as a big loss to a sector of my community. Although, given the tenor of your posts I have an odd feeling that your focus could have some basis in the fact that our mayor has made a big effort in this part of our community. The attention to this issue you pointed out by a certain radio presence only serves to re-enforce my suspicion that you really do not give a flying F.

MH please connect the dots for me. How did I get from bringing up Dave and Vicki (to disagree with them!) to not giving a fuck? Did I just get in the middle of you being angry at the world? Thanks.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:00 am

It always sucks when places like these exit a community. It really does, and the lingering effects keep burrowing deeper.

This is so true. I live near Ace's sister store on Cottage Grove, and it's one of the most popular and useful businesses in the walkable area. We'd miss it a lot if it disappeared, and I hope we're giving it plenty of reason to stay.

We have a Walgreens nearby as well, and I don't think there's a lot of overlap. It's about owner-occupied properties, mostly, and sufficient prosperity to do more than the minimum on your house.

If our Ace left I'd wonder if the whole neighborhood's well-being was in question. I am guessing the Meadowood situation is similar, only they're on the downside. Have they got lots of properties moving to rental status from owner-occupied? This is not good for so many reasons.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:20 am

Wow, that sucks. That was the hardware store I went to first when I needed something. They happily ordered a new pressure thingy for my pressure cooker too, when they didn't have one in stock.

They provided good jobs for some high school students too, from what I saw.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:11 am

I live in Meadowood, a few blocks from the Ace (I walk there often and only drive when I'm making a big haul; it's that close). I have deliberately shopped there, special ordering items I could easily pick up at Home Depot, because I personally feel that having them in the neighborhood has been very valuable. I'm at that mall all the time.

Meadowood is mostly ranch houses full of either aging senior citizens (like in their late 70s and 80s) or young families, overwhelmingly white. The young families are very young, as in my 13-year old son has no peers in our immediate vicinity. There are two pockets of multi-unit housing that are overwhelmingly black. There is a small Latino presence in the neighborhood.

A recent issue involving housing values in the neighborhood has almost nothing to do with violence. When I moved in, one of our neighbors jokingly pointed out how five houses were occupied by widows and we'd better be careful, because they were very observant about what happened on the street. Six years later, those widows have either died or moved out. Most of these moves happened quickly, with families looking to sell properties inexpensively. Some might say that decreasing housing values are a bad sign, but I think that the influx of youth is a great sign and hope it will lead to a rejuvenated neighborhood.

But something has to be done about the rental properties for the neighborhood to improve. Many them are occupied by very poor families. But I've also encountered these families paying large amounts of money ($80+) for junk food at Walgreens. I have spent a decent amount of time throwing the football in Meadowood Park and the kids we run into there are often desperately bored and looking for something to do. They spend a lot of time at the library on the computers playing games or otherwise messing around. A flag football team that showed some promise last year dissolved for some reason. Programs exist, but a parent has to seek them out and enroll their children. A lot of us do that for our kids and I wonder how much of that is due to our parents doing it for us. You sign your kids up for a bunch of activities and then you go watch them and encourage them and socialize with the other parents. Kids on the football team I coach are so used to being literally cheered for and slapped on the back that they instinctively shrug it off. I think there are kids hanging in Meadowood Park that have never been applauded for anything. It's not uncommon to see kids creating "drama" just for something to do.

When you hear cops talking about the causes of violence these days, it often has nothing to do with drugs or traditional "turf," but with "beefs." As in, this person is beefing with this other person, things escalate until there's violence. Have you seen some of these fights on YouTube that were scheduled in advance and well attended? We're told a troubling development is violence among girls and sometimes a boyfriend gets involved in a beef and it ends up escalating quickly. I've overheard enough discussions at the park, library or elsewhere to conclude that who's beefing with whom is a popular subject.

But just last week, a group of black tweens was wheeling a lawn mower down the street, looking to make some money. I was walking the dog and they cheerfully greeted me, calling me "sir" from across the street and wishing me a good night. Kids like them make some of my elderly white neighbors uneasy, as they usually walk down the middle of the street and can be boisterous. Not long ago, a group of kids stopped to pet our dog on the street. A few minutes later, we crossed to chat with an elderly neighbor who wanted to know "what those black kids wanted from you." I wonder if there would be as much unease if they were white kids riding skateboards or getting into the kind of trouble my suburban posse did (fireworks, ding-dong ditch, etc.). My son has friends who run around their neighborhood literally shooting each other with air guns. I can't imagine what kind of uproar that would cause in Meadowood.

So I think the disconnect in our neighborhood is a problem. The two populations don't trust each other much and the bridge builders have few resources. But I don't know if any of that has anything to do with the shootings, which are terrifying and horrible to think about. They make me angry, but I don't think those whose first instinct is to foment more anger and fear on the radio have the solutions. I think the cops and case workers who are closer to the problem than I am would agree.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Town Vibe