MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
sweet corn sign
Thursday, July 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 54.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton at Andrews Air Force Base

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Secretary of State Hillary Clinton at Andrews Air Force

Postby doppel » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:40 pm

pjbogart wrote:
doppel wrote:
Endo Rockstar wrote: They didn't die to be disrespected by a rich white guy with more money than brains.

-Dan Motor

Very good. You've managed to inject class warfare, racism and sexism in just three words.

I don't hate Mitt Romney for being white, I hate him for acting white.

Douche.

This couldn't possibly be considered racist, now could it? Douche? Not a whiff of sexism. Taint to be found here. Why you must have a heart o'gold and morals as pure as the driven snow.
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:36 am

pjbogart wrote:
amused2death wrote:Speaking of funny, I am constantly amused by PJ's selective outrage and consistent spin. Is it just spin or is it lies? Wonder if pj is asking that he be punished or if only those that he disagrees with should be?

Nice try, but you can't really call a photo shopped picture a "disagreement". Either it's real or it isn't. Fact or fiction. In this case, fiction. Ned Flanders is welcome to his opinion that Obama is somehow responsible for lax security at an embassy in Libya, ludicrous as I may find that opinion, but he is not entitled to the opinion that a fake photo is actually real. It's not.

And Jason's assertion that the picture is obviously photo shopped is pretty questionable. Wags didn't realize it. I would guess a few lurkers didn't realize it. I think that using the Daily Page as a vehicle to spread disinformation is shameful and shouldn't be allowed. I understand that sometimes it's difficult to separate facts and opinions, but in the case of a doctored photo, the case is pretty clear.

Despite fairly strong disagreements with Arturo, John Henry and Dangerousman, I don't believe I ever suggested that any of them be punished for their posts. But Dangerousman doesn't come on here claiming that Obama introduced legislation banning all guns, he simply drones on and on about his love of guns. I think that's strange, possibly unhealthy, but Dangerousman is welcome to his opinion.

And my outrage isn't nearly as selective as you think. As for spin, I think you use that term to describe anything you disagree with.

First, clearly that picture is a product of a little Photoshop work. I don't think Palin would be hamming it up with an airgun, although perhaps an airgun is more suitable for her. I had the misfortune of seeing the episode mentioned here:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 53973.html

... and I also concluded that Palin's attempt to portray herself as a hunter or recreational shooter was deceptive PR and not much different than John Kerry's inept handling of a shotgun or Hillary Clinton's nostalgic recollection that her dad let her shot his .22 when she was a kid. At least when George Bush went hunting for the cameras he looked like he'd been there before. And to his credit, I don't ever recall Barrack Obama trying to falsely portray himself as a hunter or shooting sports enthusiast, or even claiming that he knew shit about guns.

Next, I don't recall ever stating that I love guns, much less "droning" on about it. I love our rights and freedoms, which includes rights and freedoms related to guns. I also love that there is freedom to practice one's religion, but as an atheist I certainly do not love any religion.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:30 am

You forgot to mention Cheney's face shot.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:30 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:You forgot to mention Cheney's face shot.

Didn't forget it. It's simply not relevant. It was a hunting accident, not a self-serving PR ploy for the cameras à la Palin, Kerry and Clinton.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:59 am

pjbogart wrote:And Jason's assertion that the picture is obviously photo shopped is pretty questionable. Wags didn't realize it.
Embarrassingly true, but in Jason's defense, I'm a particularly unobservant rube, at least among Forons.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:06 am

Dangerousman wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:You forgot to mention Cheney's face shot.

Didn't forget it. It's simply not relevant. It was a hunting accident, not a self-serving PR ploy for the cameras à la Palin, Kerry and Clinton.

I guess, but it seems like the whole macho VP on a hunting trip was a PR ploy, not unlike what GB Trudeau was getting at when he labelled one of George HW Bush's strategies "Operation Frequent Manhood."
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to National Politics & Government