MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 33.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Your favorite/least favorite places in Madison

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Your favorite/least favorite places in Madison

Postby jjoyce » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:38 am

Paul Soglin is hosting something called a "neighborhood conference" on Oct. 13 at Monona Terrace. One of the workshops will be using data collected from that question, posted to the website.

http://www.cityofmadison.com/neighborho ... ce/places/

The favorites include a lot of the usual suspects. The least favorites number only three. I know that people on this board can do a lot better than that. Consider adding your own in the interest of making sure the neighborhood leaders have a full picture of the cruddy parts of town.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Your favorite/least favorite places in Madison

Postby Galoot » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:32 am

My favorite place by far was always out on Lake Mendota on a summer weekday, fishing or rowing in my Adirondack guide boat.

I can't think of a "least favorite" place. I lived on the corner of Allied Drive for over 12 years and liked it there just fine, so maybe I just have low standards.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:06 am

I find that stretch of Regent between Park and Breese Terrace to be pretty depressing.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:11 am

Union corners sucks. I would go as far to say nearly the whole stretch of E Wash as you enter Madison sucks. For a main artery into the city, this is a crappy way to welcome out of towners.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Adam Powell » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:24 am

Favorite places: the tip of Picnic Point, a perch on Observatory Hill for watching the trees and the boats moving with the wind, pretty much all of the Arboretum but especially the Lost City, the romantic walk downtown on the railroad tracks from Baldwin.

Least favorite places: The depressing stretches of East Washington, that broken-down tunnel of trash between Monroe and Park on Regent, the unfriendly mini-mall sprawl around Mineral Point near the Beltline.
Adam Powell
Forum Addict

Postby Beaver » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:15 pm

My least fav places are most of South Madison, it's not even safe to go there. Most of the East side seems old and run down except the parts near the lakes.

The ATC towers on the beltline.

Downtown: GEF bldngs. The State's DOA tower. It's too tall so ruins the sky line.

-The Lucky apt bldngs on Univ Ave near UW. They are too tall and block the skyline.

These places on the West side:
-The Target store near Hilldale. 702 N. Midvale blvd. It's a crummy chain store that doesn't sell anything I need. I wish Whole Foods moved there instead.

-the abandoned RF Sarko bldng on Univ Ave near Whole foods.

-the Johnson Bank/TDS bldng on Junction rd. It's too tall so ruins the sky line.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:04 am

Gee Beav, isn't the skyline in a city usually comprised of taller buildings? Does the Capitol get in the way too?

I can't think of a better place for the ATC towers than the beltline. Would you all rather have them over your house or through the arboretum?

I like Hoyt Park.

I don't like the zoo.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby seashells » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:56 am

Favorites includes Orton Park, the Arboretum, and the zoo.

Least favorite, lately: Brittingham Park when there are drunk/high/obnoxious people hanging out in the shelter. I used to run through the area but I stopped doing so because inevitably people yelled something or were otherwise obnoxious/invasive.
seashells

Postby Beaver » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:13 pm

narcoleptish wrote:Gee Beav, isn't the skyline in a city usually comprised of taller buildings? Does the Capitol get in the way too?
I can't think of a better place for the ATC towers than the beltline. Would you all rather have them over your house or through the arboretum?
I don't like the zoo.

I like seeing the Capitol which is why I don't like tall bldngs like DOA blocking it. Yes big city skylines usually have tall bldngs but I don't like big cities.

I would rather not have the ATC towers at all. Why don't you like the zoo?

http://www.cityofmadison.com/neighborho ... ce/places/
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:26 pm

Favorites: the lakes, various conservation parks around the city, especially Owen Conservation Park and the prairies along Raymond Road, the Southwest Connector bike path, (in Middleton--Pheasant Branch), the complex of glacial moraines, etc., in the southwest fringe, even with houses built on them.

Least Favorites: West Towne Mall, Westgate Mall, Odana Road, Sundance Theatre, East Washington Ave., Park Street,
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:41 pm

Good lists.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:16 pm

I don't like Westgate Mall, but I hold out some hope that the new Hyvee store will make it a worthwhile stop. I don't like the segment of Odana from Whitney Way to Gammon.

East Wash is improving but clearly has a way to go. I can't say I don't like Union Corners because the Malt House is there.

I like the parts of the isthmus that are NOT E. Wash.

I like Metcalfe's, and East Washington and the neighborhoods would benefit from having one, hint, hint Mr. Mayor.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:26 am

[quote="Beaver"]I wish Whole Foods moved there instead[quote]

Speaking of a "chain store that doesn't sell anything I need" ...

Favorites:
Mad City Music X-Change, B-Side, Frugal Muse, the Harmony, the zoo
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:18 am

My least favorites include huge barnlike condos on lake frontage, blocking the lake from public view and butt-ugly to boot.

I'm right now sitting in Crema Cafe on Monona Drive looking at a beautiful lake view and city skyline -- looking across a vulnerable piece of vacant property that's just waiting for some opportunistic developer to build a bookend for the newish lakeshore monstrosity at the corner of Buckeye Rd. just a block away.

I'm not against development -- not at all -- but we ought to protect for everybody the opportunity to enjoy of a beautiful view like the one I'm seeing. Build the condos on the other side of the street.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:49 pm

Beaver wrote:
I would rather not have the ATC towers at all.

Then you're willing to go off the grid I assume.

Why don't you like the zoo?

Bored animals with no muscle tone pacing back and forth unable to understand why all their natural instincts are being stifled. I haven't been there in years, are the giraffes still "living" in a treeless gravel lot? One of my earliest Vilas zoo memories was of seeing a black bear throwing up pure liquid marshmallow. Folks kept throwing more.

People love the zoo and that's fine. I'm not an anti-zoo activist, I just get depressed by them.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government