MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, July 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 63.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Chicago Teachers Strike

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Chicago Teachers Strike

Postby Mean Scenester » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:00 pm

Formerly called "normal schools," a teachers' college is pretty much what it sounds like: a school with a specialized curriculum to teach high school graduates to become teachers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_school

Incidentally, though they don't exist in the numbers they once did, there are a number of such institutions that are well regarded in their ability to turn out highly competent professionals in the field, despite the suggestion by a certain blowhole here that they represent a second-rate educational opportunity. Snobs will be snobs, I guess. But that's what you get from someone like JFH, who graduated from Whereverthefuck U summa cum asshole.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:07 pm

Thanks. I haven't heard of those before. Sounds like a lot of them were swallowed up by the state and turned into the university system.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:07 am

Mean Scenester wrote:Incidentally, though they don't exist in the numbers they once did, there are a number of such institutions that are well regarded in their ability to turn out highly competent professionals in the field,

And your source for this information is?

Teachers Colleges earned such a horrible reputation over the years that they pretty much no longer exist. They have been renamed are now called departments or schools of education within a more reputable university.

You could look it up.

Diane Ravitch, who is pretty widely respected as an educational historian (And who wrote the review of the Finnish schools) would be a good place to start. One of her books is a history of education in the US that it pretty good.

Unless your degree comes from a teachers college or Ed school.

Then it is pretty damning.

Ed schools and departments have been called "the ghetto of academia" I think by Ravitch though perhaps that comes from someone else.

They are mainly for the people who do not have the intellectual ability to succeed in a community college.

Mean Scenester wrote:Whereverthefuck U summa cum asshole.

Stay classy there.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:11 am

Stebben84 wrote:Thanks. I haven't heard of those before. Sounds like a lot of them were swallowed up by the state and turned into the university system.

There were a few private ones but they were mostly state operations from the start.

What seems to have happened is that nobody wanted to admit that they went to a "teachers college". So they got swallowed by the state universities as education departments.

Now people can say they graduated from U <whatever> as if they had a regular college education.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:16 am

johnfajardohenry wrote:Now people can say they graduated from U <whatever> as if they had a regular college education.

Fuck off. I know a number of people who go their degrees through these schools of Education. One of them was me fuck wad. I received a bachelor of fine arts degree through UW Madison. Their art school happens to be in the school of Ed because the program was originally for teaching art. I graduated from the school of education, but I also ended up with a Philosophy emphasis as well as a pretty well rounded education.

You are one of the biggest pompous asses on this forum who thinks you know everything. You don't. You make yourself sound like a fool and nearly everyone has an easy time poking fun at you.

Get a clue asshole(can't be classy someone like you)
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:25 am

Teachers Colleges earned such a horrible reputation over the years that they pretty much no longer exist. They have been renamed are now called departments or schools of education within a more reputable university.

Historically, the teachers' college system in Wisconsin grew not into "departments" but into the UW system. Eau Claire, for instance, was a teachers' college and became UW-Eau Claire. Same with most of the others.

In the generation before mine (preceding WWII, during the great depression) several of my ancestors went to Eau Claire Teachers' College, a 2-year program, and graduated certified to teach. They spent their careers as teachers, upgrading their educations over the years and eventually attaining BA's. The old teachers' college system was an affordable way for immigrant families' children to get some higher education and climb up the economic ladder on their own.

Here it is from their own web page:
UW-Eau Claire was founded in 1916 as the Eau Claire State Normal School, housed in a single building constructed on 12 acres of land. The institution evolved into a State Teachers College in 1927, the Wisconsin State College at Eau Claire in 1951 and attained university status in 1964. In 1971 the university, with other state-supported higher learning institutions, became a full partner in the new UW System...

http://www.uwec.edu/advantage/history.htm

All that was good, but I hope we don't go back to two-year certifications for schoolteachers, which is probably what the privatizers have in mind as they try to cut costs and make a buck off one of the most important social institutions we have.

This forum could spent the whole day correcting stuff JFH posts.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:48 pm

johnfajardohenry wrote:Teachers Colleges earned such a horrible reputation over the years that they pretty much no longer exist. They have been renamed are now called departments or schools of education within a more reputable university.

And your source for information is?

You could look it up.

You could go fuck yourself.

Diane Ravitch, who is pretty widely respected as an educational historian (And who wrote the review of the Finnish schools) would be a good place to start. One of her books is a history of education in the US that it pretty good.

You mean this Diane Ravitch who was an adjunct professor at Teachers College, Columbia University, one of the oldest in the country?

Tell me again why anyone should consider you an authority on any fucking thing ever, you hyper-generalizing dumbshit?
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SlayerDave » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:57 pm

snoqueen wrote:
All that was good, but I hope we don't go back to two-year certifications for schoolteachers, which is probably what the privatizers have in mind as they try to cut costs and make a buck off one of the most important social institutions we have.

This forum could spent the whole day correcting stuff JFH posts.

Depends on what other sorts of experience they have, no?

Albert Einstein couldn't teach high school today, for instance:
http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2012/06/ ... ol-physics
SlayerDave
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:07 pm

Knowing your subject and being able to pass that knowledge on to school age kids, while managing a classroom full learners of different abilities and ambitions (public schools must take all who come through the front door) is much different than teaching a graduate seminar on theoretical physics.

BTW, Einstein was a charter member of the teachers union at Princeton.
"I consider it important, indeed urgently necessary, for intellectual workers to get together, both to protect their own economic status and . . . to secure their influence in the political field."
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SlayerDave » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:14 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Knowing your subject and being able to pass that knowledge on to school age kids, while managing a classroom full learners of different abilities and ambitions (public schools must take all who come through the front door) is much different than teaching a graduate seminar on theoretical physics.

Oh, I'm sure it is.

I'm just not convinced one needs a hard set number of hours getting some sort of license to be able to do so. Especially when people are constantly complaining about the difficulty we're having attracting teachers. Why put up another barrier to entry?
SlayerDave
Forum Addict

Postby HawkHead » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:15 pm

SlayerDave wrote:Oh, I'm sure it is.

I'm just not convinced one needs a hard set number of hours getting some sort of license to be able to do so. Especially when people are constantly complaining about the difficulty we're having attracting teachers. Why put up another barrier to entry?

Like lowering wages and cutting their benefits.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:02 am

This is just sickning. What a bunch of racist [insert your favorite epithet here] in the FL Dept of Education. Where is the NEA on this? Why are teachers not threatening to resign en masse about this?

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2012-1 ... n-students

Race-based student goals prompt controversy in South Florida
October 11, 2012|By Karen Yi, Sun Sentinel

Florida's public school students will be judged in part by race and ethnicity, under new education benchmarks approved this week.

And that has created a firestorm in South Florida.

Opponents say setting higher goals for whites and Asians and lower goals for Latino and black groups is insulting and feeds racial stereotypes.
<Snip>

This sums up so many things that are wrong with our education system that it is hard to know where to begin.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to National Politics & Government