MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 81.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Ace Meadowood going out of Business

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: Ace Meadowood going out of Business

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:19 am

Hardware stores are supposed to be for the smaller things. Nobody goes to a hardware store for lumber, flooring, cabinets, major appliances, or a $500 table saw and anybody who lives in that neighborhood and is going to HD for a box of screws or an extension cord, because it's a buck cheaper, is an idiot and deserves fewer choices.

Isn't your time worth anything? Would you really rather drive on Verona rd and through that little maze of a frontage road, park your car and walk no less than a city block, probably 2, just to save a couple bucks on a hose nozzle? I don't get it.

I don't know why they closed and I'm not very familiar with the area but if the parking lot atmosphere is anything like the East Side Shopping Center, I'm guessing it had more than 0.5% to do with it.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:38 am

Narco, I agree with you. But I don't think it has as much to do with price as hours of operation and big box convenience. HD is open later and has more. If you go into Ace and they're out of something, you go to HD instead of special ordering it. And if you're going to HD to rent an auger or roto-tiller, then you're likely to also pick up some Weed 'n Feed, some light bulbs, batteries, carbon monoxide detector and propane canister while you're in there, not to mention all the stuff you get when you return the tiller.

I don't think Ace likes the direction that mall is headed, but that's not a secret to anyone in our neighborhood who watched Jacobson Bros. leave. So when asked by a reporter about the neighborhood, he shares personal opinions. That gets quoted, not the much larger and more nuanced issue of the economics of running a neighborhood hardware store when there's a Home Depot, a Super Target and an auto parts store within a mile.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:58 am

My only experience with the mall in question involves Mrs Scratch being assigned to park there during some UW Hospital parking lot upheaval (there was a shuttle bus pick up involved) and being warned by UWH that the parking lot milieu might be somewhere between scary and dangerous. Nothing untoward happened and she was moved back to a closer lot, but if UWH warned people about the place, the perception of danger was at least known a few years ago, whether justified or not. Sometimes the mere perception that a neighborhood is going downhill contributes to any downward slide.

I sympathize with the neighbors who will miss Ace. I'll do almost anything to avoid big box stores like Home Depot.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:06 pm

bdog wrote:Sorry MH but you really need to elaborate on that last post.

...the shitheads encountered in the Meadowood shopping center.

I do not think I need to. I believe I understand where you are coming from.

Jason,
Although I didn't know it until now, thanks for being a great neighbor.

MH
Last edited by Mad Howler on Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:23 pm

Mad Howler wrote:

MH

Ah...head up your ass it is then.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:36 pm

bdog wrote:So Garg, have you experienced the unsavory characters near the Ace hardware?

It all makes sense. Tofu...still lmao

I personally haven't had any bad experiences there. I lived in that neighborhood back when a Sentry store occupied the space that Walgreens currently resides in. Losing that Sentry was a big blow at the time.

Our former neighbors fit the profile of the very elderly whites. We moved away 15 years ago, and those folks are all still there.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:47 pm

bdog wrote:
Mad Howler wrote:

MH

Ah...head up your ass it is then.

I bid you peace.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:52 pm

Mad Howler wrote:I bid you peace.

Ditto. Have you tried meditation?
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:16 pm

bdog wrote:
Mad Howler wrote:I bid you peace.

Ditto. Have you tried meditation?

Look, I'm not trying to be a thorn in your craw. So let me suggest that I perceive you, in this context, to be contributing to a hostile atmosphere on this thread. Sorry to get all corporate speak on you.

Although if you need some cooling, I think I provided you a recipe for some popsicles a few months back. Perhaps you might have a couple in the back of your freezer.

Best regards,
MH
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:22 pm

Oh shit...you're the orange dog guy.

Apologies.

You're a good guy to have around.

But seriously...meditation if you haven't tried it already. You will find that assholes like me are much easier to digest. And if you plan to spend any time on TDPF, that is a good thing.

Happy trails.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:37 pm

Ya that be me. BTW, meditation has only worked half way for me.
MH
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:39 pm

I made a stop at the Meadowood library today to pick up a book. I got that done any walked over to Ace. Some kids were being kids and did not help my spitting headache, whatever that's my problem. I browsed around Ace and headed out and on my way to the door I was impressed with one of the employee's skill with calming some kids who were appearently upset with went down when I was on my way in. When I got outside I heard a kid lambasting the others about how he didn't "care if it was a fake fight that's not what the white people will think". This gave me great pause as it seems there are some PEOPLE who are probably pissed to be the target of outrage and feel powerless. I admit that I have overlooked this element.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:24 pm

I want to share this.
I figured this is the best spot.

http://m.motherjones.com/mixed-media/20 ... bson-scott

"Know what I mean?"
I hope we do,
Cause these stories matter.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:47 am

I do not think I would have been motivated to explore and start this thead if I had not been influenced in some way by people like - Nelson Mandela.

RIP - Mr. Mandela
& with your passing,
Let us understand that 'activist' is not a dirty word.

I do not know of a society that failed owing to active care.

Active hate and fear, is something to struggle against.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:50 pm

Mad Howler wrote:
Igor wrote:
It's cool how everybody here, on all sides, knows more than the owners. Personally, I think that Home Depot has stolen my business more from Menards. My business at Ace is probably the same.

Changing over to renters DOES have an impact. Chances are that the landlord does not live nearby. They are either bringing materials from Menards, or are hiring a contractor who does. I'm sure Walgreens is vulturing some sales for batteries, light bulbs, and whatnot as well.

That mall is the only place in Madison that I have been panhandled other than State Street. A co-worker's son was mugged walking home from his job there. I'm sure there are other areas of town that have more issues, but that doesn't discount the issues that are here.

Well put, but I don't think I have second guessed the owners decision to cut loose. Although, my experience over the last 5 years suggests that this was not a rash decision. It always sucks when places like these exit a community. It really does, and the lingering effects keep burrowing deeper.

it started 25 years ago with the sentry grocery store pulling up stakes -- chicken & the egg
gozer
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Town Vibe