MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 48.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Matthew Sweet @ HNS

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Matthew Sweet @ HNS

Postby john_titor » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:26 am

Eventually I will admit you can't go home again. I look up from my smart phone to see a lot of guys here alone, my age, looking at their smart phones. Maybe 21 years is too long to go back to an album and a time.

A few questions coming in, a lot more after the unexpected plot twist in the opening scene.

After hearing a few songs, I remembered I usually changed the disc after the first side, about five songs in. Oh well.

Sound was poopy.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Matthew Sweet @ HNS

Postby Kyle Motor » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:12 am

john_titor wrote:I look up from my smart phone to see a lot of guys here alone, my age, looking at their smart phones.

That tells me more about a bad audience than a bad show. Why pay $20 to see a show when you're going to stare at your phone? If you're not there to enjoy yourself, and why should the performer give a shit at that point?

Not trying to get personal, john_titor. Just a pet peeve. You're paying for entertainment, let yourself be entertained. You pay attention to a performer and be engaged, and that performer is gonna feed off it and give it back.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:29 pm

Fair enough. Truth be told the audience was engaged and the actual looking at phones happened between bands, but I get your drift. My comment was more of a rare observation of being at a show where the majority of attendees were:

1. My age
2. My sex
3. My fatness
4. Flying solo
5. Hiding social awkwardness behind the curtain of a phone.

For the sake of conversation and an interesting proposition in its own right, I would however argue if the majority of the audience is looking at their phones during the set, then the entertainer is not actually doing their job. ADHD aside, it is not the audience's fault they are bored, unless they had no real desire to see the entertainer in the first place. I believe perhaps that is your point, but to mine, if the band rocks, people will be paying attention. If they suck, not so much.

Regardless, I thank you for your reply and am surprised no one here seemingly went to the show.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:48 pm

john_titor wrote:Fair enough. Truth be told the audience was engaged and the actual looking at phones happened between bands, but I get your drift. My comment was more of a rare observation of being at a show where the majority of attendees were:

1. My age
2. My sex
3. My fatness
4. Flying solo
5. Hiding social awkwardness behind the curtain of a phone.

For the sake of conversation and an interesting proposition in its own right, I would however argue if the majority of the audience is looking at their phones during the set, then the entertainer is not actually doing their job. ADHD aside, it is not the audience's fault they are bored, unless they had no real desire to see the entertainer in the first place. I believe perhaps that is your point, but to mine, if the band rocks, people will be paying attention. If they suck, not so much.

Regardless, I thank you for your reply and am surprised no one here seemingly went to the show.

I've seen Matthew Sweet twice now at the High Noon. 1st time was when Velvet Crush (? I think) opened for him and was his backup band. They were the highlight that night. Sweet played everything way too fast. I went home and listened to the albums to assure myself that Sweet did, in fact, rock. He does. Him playing it live just didn't do it for me.

My younger brother -- now 27 still listens to Matthew Sweet on occasion. My little sister who's 19, however, has no idea who he is even though some of the stuff she listens to is in the same wheelhouse. Sweet didn't make the leap to the younglings.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:14 pm

john_titor wrote:For the sake of conversation and an interesting proposition in its own right, I would however argue if the majority of the audience is looking at their phones during the set, then the entertainer is not actually doing their job. ADHD aside, it is not the audience's fault they are bored, unless they had no real desire to see the entertainer in the first place. I believe perhaps that is your point, but to mine, if the band rocks, people will be paying attention. If they suck, not so much.

True. It goes both ways. The scenario I presented seems more rampant when there's a good band opening for a flavor-of-the-week headliner. Either way it happens. If the folks on stage aren't doing their best, you lose people. But it can be disheartening if you're on stage and you see glowing faces not looking at you.

john_titor wrote:Regardless, I thank you for your reply and am surprised no one here seemingly went to the show.

I'd liked to have gone, but the combo of being somewhat broke and getting over being sick kept me on the couch. I know a couple of DPFers were there. If he were playing 100% Fun, there's no way I'd miss it.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:25 pm

Endo Rockstar wrote:I went home and listened to the albums to assure myself that Sweet did, in fact, rock. He does. Him playing it live just didn't do it for me.

That was exactly one of my pre-concert questions. I wanted to hear what the sound was like live versus my home setup. The harmonies sometimes seemed off (them), but he had me with the first I of his "I don't know where I'm gonna live". I thought he did a great job. I sat behind the sound guy for a while and he seemed lost. There was a tall guy in uniform that would check in on him from time to time. There was a woman dancing for her life.

Kyle Motor wrote:"But it can be disheartening if you're on stage and you see glowing faces not looking at you."

I agree. That would suck. I mean no disrespect, but isn't that all part of the head-cutting deal when you are "opening for a flavor-of-the-week headliner?"
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:34 am

john_titor wrote:
Kyle Motor wrote:"But it can be disheartening if you're on stage and you see glowing faces not looking at you."

I agree. That would suck. I mean no disrespect, but isn't that all part of the head-cutting deal when you are "opening for a flavor-of-the-week headliner?"

Pretty much, yeah. If you're real good, Tag might give you $50.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:41 am

Allow me to chime in - in my experience, Matthew Sweet is pretty boring live. I like a few of those records (particularly "100% Fun" and "In Reverse") but he's always seemed like a studio guy to me and on the really good earlier records, he had a very specific set of awesome guitarists who aren't with him now.

I guess basically, my point is that he has become lame; two "covers" records of recent vintage, "album tours", etc. LAME!

If I had shown up, I'd probably be drawn to my cell phone as well.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:06 am

Kyle Motor wrote:Pretty much, yeah. If you're real good, Tag might give you $50.

oh snap. Kyle be nice.....or don't....that's fine too. Threadjack that Kyle can attest to, its super frustrating with you have a kickass band call you looking for a hookup for tour schedule filler show through Madison and after you call around to all the venues you find out Tag has "holds" on most dates for the next 6 months.

I do respect Tag a lot more than I used to because of him sticking it out at the Capital when they locked it down, but from a selfish local musician point of view, I've been quietly grumbling about him for years. Goes with the territory I guess, I don't feel any real ill will towards him.

-Danimal H. Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:07 am

rrnate wrote:Allow me to chime in

No.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:21 am

rrnate wrote:I guess basically, my point is that he has become lame; two "covers" records of recent vintage, "album tours", etc. LAME!

Disagree. Both those things can be done very well.

rrnate wrote:....he had a very specific set of awesome guitarists who aren't with him now.

Agree. No slight to whoever's touring with him now, but Richard Lloyd, Robert Quine (rip) and Ivan Julian are all excellent and unique guitarists that gave a lot of spark to the Sweet albums they played on.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:24 am

I had to miss the Bob Mould plays "Copper Blue" show in Chicago, but a friend said he seemed to rush through it so he could get to playing some of the new stuff and some Husker Du songs. I think the concept was introduced back at SXSW, so he's probably over it by now and uninspired by the premise, as much as fans might insist they love it.

But it seems like these album shows are proliferating.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:54 am

Kyle Motor wrote:
rrnate wrote:I guess basically, my point is that he has become lame; two "covers" records of recent vintage, "album tours", etc. LAME!

Disagree. Both those things can be done very well.

I should clarify - I am all about covers albums if they're done well, but the Matthew Sweet/Susanna Hoffs albums are of the most boring possible variety. They bring nothing new to the table arrangement wise other than treating all of the songs (admittedly some good picks) as duets and c'mon, it's not like Matthew Sweet is revered for his amazing vocal stylings.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:03 pm

Endo Rockstar wrote: its super frustrating with you have a kickass band call you looking for a hookup for tour schedule filler show through Madison and after you call around to all the venues you find out Tag has "holds" on most dates for the next 6 months.

So he has some sort of agreement where he can get first dibs? Or is the day marked sold as his? Seems like a hard way to make money. Could a group of people put up that kind of dough?
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Madison Music