MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 77.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Ann Althouse: Romney video no big deal

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Ann Althouse: Romney video no big deal

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:38 pm

It's up to the states, who control elections for the most part. Rank-order voting would give third and four party candidates a chance.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:35 pm

Actually, one casualty of my drunk posting was the assertion that there would be three independents in the US Senate next year. Joe Lieberman is retiring, so only two will be present.

But the point still remains. Senators are elected in Statewide elections. If these three candidates can pull it off, why can't others? Maybe Maine, Vermont and Connecticut aren't typical of US States but there's no reason to believe that they can't start a trend. If Russ Feingold were to run as an independent would you vote for him? I would. If Russ Feingold said, "I want to run as a new party candidate, the Labor Party, because I think too many Americans become empassioned by issues that have little to do with government such as gay marriage and abortion," would you assume that he's rejecting those issues or simply that he's reaching out to voters who would like to see a different emphasis from Washington?

Personally, I think social issues have corrupted our political system. We bicker over issues that politicians never actually act upon, but instead use as wedges to divide us every few years. Does anyone here actually believe that Ned or Meade care about abortion? Ned would poison his own mother for the paper in her purse. Abortion is just a tool he uses to further that greed.

Meade, as best I can tell, has no actual political agenda. He's simply a caricature. His identity is tied to conservativism because he lacks anything else meaningful to tie it to. It's really simply nothing more than chance that makes him a Republican.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:48 am

Feingold running as a rogue independent would do nothing but split the Democratic vote. I don't think he'd pull in enough new voters to his Independent ticket that he'd upset the basic math of "don't split your constituency."

Look what happened in Tommy Thompson's Senate primary: Thompson received a meager plurality while the more conservative candidates (Neumann and Hovde mostly) split the considerably-larger more conservative vote. They did it to themselves through sheer egotism and now they'll have to live with the result.

No, you made more sense drunk.

Does anyone here actually believe that Ned or Meade care about abortion? Ned would poison his own mother for the paper in her purse. Abortion is just a tool he uses to further that greed.

Meade, as best I can tell, has no actual political agenda. He's simply a caricature. His identity is tied to conservativism because he lacks anything else meaningful to tie it to. It's really simply nothing more than chance that makes him a Republican.

All agreed, and of course Ned and Meade are only local examples of the same thing that happens all the time nationally. The idea is to get power, and you say whatever works to get it.

I do think Meade isn't after political power so much as attention. Look at that video someone linked in another thread -- he just wanted all the people at the little park rally to stop and look at him. That was it. No point at all. He's mooning without getting arrested for exposure.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:56 am

I do think Sno just likes to hate on Meade.

No point to it, just hate.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:02 am

Who, besides you, doesn't?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:04 am

Good point Henry!

Btw, WAS that you and the Mrs. in the Vilas park video?
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:08 am

snoqueen wrote:I do think Meade isn't after political power so much as attention. Look at that video someone linked in another thread -- he just wanted all the people at the little park rally to stop and look at him. That was it. No point at all. He's mooning without getting arrested for exposure.

I must have missed the park rally video, but I looked for it and ran across this one.

What a fucking douche. And the Meadehouse actually posted that video as though he was proud of it. Hey, look at me! I can irritate the shit out of people sticking my nose where it doesn't belong!

The word "smarmy" comes to mind.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:14 am

Whose house?

Not Meade's house!

Peej are you upset that Meade did not have a permit to ask questions?
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:22 pm

Meade: "Who gives you the authority to tell me to go away?!"

Getting in the way of workers trying to do their job.
Trying to provoke a confrontation.
Seriously, what a douche.

And Altmouse actually posted this to her account. Twisted.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:05 pm

That folks, is what $403,900 to $623,000 envy looks like.

What an embarassment to Terese Berceau.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:41 pm

Mostly I am overwhelmed by the stellar production values of Meade's presentation. The experimental feel--deliberately shaky camerawork, camera angles calculated to render the familiar strange, dialog obviously improvised to retain that banality so crucial to undermining the illusion of the theater...a masterful homage to mid-career Godard.

Bravo!
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:05 pm

All great points, Detritus, but it was the amazing acting that really impressed me. I tried to recreate the scene by reciting a few lines in my best Meade impersonation, but ended up reflexively punching myself in the face three times and giving myself a black eye.

I guess only Meade can be Meade. Don't try this at home.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:21 pm

Attention Whoredom: The World's SECOND Oldest Profession.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:57 am

A part of the video the mainstream media hasn't reported on:
Romney said, "I have a very good team of extraordinary experienced, highly successful consultants, a couple of people in particular who have done races around the world. I didn't realize it. These guys in the U.S.--the Karl Rove equivalents--they do races all over the world, in Armenia, in Africa, in Israel. I mean, they work for BiBi Netanyahu in his race. So they do these races and they see which ads work, and which processes work best, and we have ideas about what we do over the course of the campaign. I'd tell them to you, but I'd have to shoot you."
http://motherjones.com/politics/2012/09/secret-video-romney-private-fundraiser

Netanyahu appears in ad airing in Florida. Florida, hmmmmm.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/09/20/netanyahu-star-new-election-ad-airing-in-florida/
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:11 am

bdog wrote:I do think Sno just likes to hate on Meade.
No point to it, just hate.

Tell us more, bLapdog.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government