MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Sunday, September 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Warring - the new normal

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Warring - the new normal

Postby Mad Howler » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:42 pm

I have pointed out this "howler" before. Again I can not look away. The weird thing is how unavailable this substance is.

http://english.pravda.ru/opinion/column ... _dollar-0/

The other thing that strikes me is this piece that should be relevant to regular readers of this publication.

http://www.paulcraigroberts.org/2012/09 ... merican-2/
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Warring - the new normal

Postby rabble » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:35 pm

There's something in your psych profile that won't let you say anything about what the stuff you post is actually about, isn't there?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:06 am

rabble wrote:There's something in your psych profile that won't let you say anything about what the stuff you post is actually about, isn't there?

That is a disgusting assertion. I think that I have left many more crumbs than are needed. I am sorry if the substance of things I choose to post is bothersome.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:02 am

You're right, and I apologize for the snark.

It still bugs me but I shouldn't have let it get to that point.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:29 am

So Howler, what is your opinion of the first article? It strikes me as a mishmash of alarmist foreign policy and antiquated economic theory. Praising Ronald Reagan and Milton Friedman while using a 98% tax on capital gains as evidence for the wonders of supply side economics seems, well, strawman-y.

Paul Craig Roberts has some good points about wealth and influence, but he clings desperately to the notion that high taxes discourage labor, even going so far as to make the head-scratching insinuation that doctors close up their clinics on Saturdays because of high taxes.

The economy didn't implode in 2007-2008 due to high taxes. Our taxes were down, precipitously if you consider historical rates. Americans lost an incredible amount of wealth when the housing bubble burst and the derivatives market was exposed as a fraud. That lack of wealth and liquidity, particularly the suddenness of it, shocked demand across the entire economy. That lack of demand caused massive layoffs while unemployment was already high from decades of outsourcing.

Roberts dismisses Keynesian economics as inefficient, perhaps even counter-productive, yet the entire economic downturn seemed to confirm that demand, not supply, drives the economy.

And the bizarre assertion that the US government finances malcontents like "Pussy Riot" in Russia to distract people from our imperialistic Middle Eastern policy is practically laughable.

And yeah, the thread title sucks. Again.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:43 pm

pjbogart wrote:So Howler, what is your opinion of the first article?

I agree with most of your assessment. It seemed to be an odd form of advocation for Uncle Milton. I suppose that PCR comes at this from a very different frame than our current situation. I happen to come from a more Keynesian frame. What struck me mainly about this piece was the defense of MF and the sense of desperation. I do not nessessary agree with all in this interview, but like I have said - I have a hard time looking away from this. Our elders may seem lite up at times but I suspect, as usual, the truth sits somewhere in the middle of where we find our current discourse. This is why I am thankful for this hard to find narrative.

p.s.- I really appreciate your take. Although, I do not believe I will ever entitle at thread to your satisfaction.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Return to National Politics & Government