MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
jamesmadisonpark
Thursday, July 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 75.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Why does WI arrest twice as many ppl for marijuana than MN?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Why does WI arrest twice as many ppl for marijuana than MN?

Postby eriedasch » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:05 pm

What if Wisconsin Arrested Half as Many People for Marijuana Possession?

http://www.aclu.org/blog/criminal-law-r ... possession

This is just insane. Why is WI wasting so much money arresting non-violent pot smokers? I'm sure no one has any good answers, but sure is in interesting topic for discussion, IMO. Especially if WI is serious about cutting unneccesary expenses.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Why does WI arrest twice as many ppl for marijuana than

Postby Walter » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:41 pm

I'd like to know where in WI the arrests are made. Is there any one place that far outstrips others in terms of custodial arrests (going to jail) for possession of MJ and for what reason?

In the City of Madison, possession of 113g or less of marijuana in a public place is a non-mandatory court city ordinance forfeiture violation with a citation and fine of $109.00. It is not a criminal charge. Same with possession of drug paraphernalia for the pot pipe. A person without photo ID will go to jail only to be photographed and fingerprinted to verify ID but they can pay the $109 afterward and walk out the door and be done with it.

As long as someone is not dealing, for all intents and purposes, "simple" possession of MJ has been decriminalized in the City of Madison for many years.
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:44 pm

I wonder if any Minnesotans are convinced that their state is only catching half the pot heads they should be?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:28 pm

There's a lot of online reading to be done about the disparity between Minnesota's and Wisconsin's prison populations in general, not just related to marijuana convictions. I googled the term "percentage of incarcerated Wisconsin and Minnesota" and got more than I could read in an hour:

http://www.tapowwi.org/mass-incarcerati ... onsin.html

That's a link with a number of short magazine articles about prisons and western Wisconsin. They touch on politics, race and civil rights, and recent state history. There's a whole different corrections philosophy at work in Minnesota than here, and it's not just about marijuana.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rich Schultz » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:30 am

Isn't it obvious? Minnesota pot heads run away when they see the police, Wisconsin pot heads don't want to spill the beer.
Rich Schultz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:14 pm

Minnesotans don't need pot to alter their reality. They have Michele Bachmann.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:39 pm

Walter wrote:I'd like to know where in WI the arrests are made.

So would I, and I agree with you Walter, Madison is NOT the problem.

Madison NORML has been keeping track of small time busts when we see articles or reports and they happen all over the state. Unlike Madison, people are arrested, locked up, and charged with felonies for very small amounts. A good friend was looking at 3 years in prison for 1/2 joint in Brown CO (2nd offense) a few short years back. Without a good lawyer he would have been doing time like so many others are who cannot afford it and are stuck with public defenders.

We are looking for interested writers or journalists to put a story together on this topic.

Contact us if you or anyone you know is interested in helping:
http://www.madisonnorml.org
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby amused2death » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:31 pm

Could receive and did receive can be a big difference. What did your good friend get? A friend of a friend was recently sentenced to probation and community service for 7 POUNDS so unless your friend's first offense was pretty bad I highly doubt he was ever in serious jeopardy of going to jail.

I would love to know how all these people get busted for simple possession. My guess is mostly stupidity on their part. As a twenty year smoker that has smoked in pretty much every type of public place imaginable all over the state and 1000's of times in vehicles and having dozens of friends doing the same and none of us have ever been busted. So i have to wonder what type of stupid shit all these other smokers are doing to get caught, especially more than once.
amused2death

Postby eriedasch » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:52 pm

amused2death wrote:A friend of a friend was recently sentenced to probation and community service for 7 POUNDS so unless your friend's first offense was pretty bad I highly doubt he was ever in serious jeopardy of going to jail.

I would love to know how all these people get busted for simple possession. My guess is mostly stupidity on their part. As a twenty year smoker that has smoked in pretty much every type of public place imaginable all over the state and 1000's of times in vehicles and having dozens of friends doing the same and none of us have ever been busted. So i have to wonder what type of stupid shit all these other smokers are doing to get caught, especially more than once.

So you are OK with stupid people getting busted for pot?

What about black people? How about poor people who cannot afford good attorneys to get them off with probation for 7 lbs?

Dana Beal was released from Dodge CO. prison after being caught, charged, and sentenced for just under 200 lbs. with practically no time due to poor health. But this is not likely an option for others. Most cases are different and have more to do with the location you are busted than how much. Someone busted in Brown county with half a joint could face a tougher time than someone caught with a pound in Madison.

I think that is great you and none of your friends have never been busted and are very careful.

I still do not think any of this justifies busting twice as many people in WI compared to MN or MI for ANY non-violent offense, especially for being in possession of something considered medicine in 17 states.

Hope to see you at Harvest Fest this weekend!
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mifflander » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:39 pm

Because the Tavern League doesn't like the competition.
mifflander
Forum Addict

Return to Local Politics & Government