MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
kayaks
Tuesday, July 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 87.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Marry Gigi Sze-tung for $65 million

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Marry Gigi Sze-tung for $65 million

Postby Shorty » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:32 pm

I could use this money. Anyone know her email?

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/ty ... ories.html

"Rather than accepting his daughter's decision, Chao has announced a dowry-bounty of sorts: HK$500 million ($65 million US Dollars) to the man who can woo his lesbian daughter away from her wife. "I don't mind whether he is rich or poor. The important thing is that he is generous and kind-hearted," Chao told the South China Morning Post while dismissing reports of his daughter's same-sex marriage as being "false."
"Gigi is a very good woman with both talents and looks. She is devoted to her parents, is generous and does volunteer work," he said.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1528
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2003 12:53 pm

Re: Marry Gigi Sze-tung for $65 million

Postby kurt_w » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:34 pm

Just in case any of the forons are considering proposing to Gigi, let me just fix one minor error there.

Her father's name is "Chao Sze-tung", with "Chao" being the family name and "Sze-tung" his given name. The daughter's name would be "Chao Gigi", not "Gigi Sze-Tung".

Clearly, Mr Chao is quite the character. I was initially dubious about his claim to have slept with over 10,000 women; but I suppose it's mathematically possible -- if he started his amorous career at age 16, that would work out to 167 women per year (call it one every two days, with two weeks off for vacation) for the past 60 years.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4963
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Marry Gigi Sze-tung for $65 million

Postby rabble » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:35 am

kurt_w wrote:I was initially dubious about his claim to have slept with over 10,000 women; but I suppose it's mathematically possible -- if he started his amorous career at age 16, that would work out to 167 women per year (call it one every two days, with two weeks off for vacation) for the past 60 years.

Are you assuming one partner per session?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 5994
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: Marry Gigi Sze-tung for $65 million

Postby Michael Patrick » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:23 am

If I had $65 million burning a hole in my pocket I bet I could find 10,000 women to sleep with me too. That's $6,500 per woman. That'll buy you the top of the line, even better than Eliot Spitzer-quality hookers... :mrgreen:
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3937
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:56 am
Location: Around here somewhere

Re: Marry Gigi Sze-tung for $65 million

Postby kurt_w » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:27 am

rabble wrote:Are you assuming one partner per session?

Er, yes, I was. No comment.

Michael Patrick wrote:If I had $65 million burning a hole in my pocket I bet I could find 10,000 women to sleep with me too. That's $6,500 per woman. That'll buy you the top of the line, even better than Eliot Spitzer-quality hookers... :mrgreen:

Um, I think you're confusing two different parts of that story. Mr Chao is offering you $65 million to marry his daughter, and to be "generous and kind-hearted". He's not offering you $65 million to adopt his own lifestyle...
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4963
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Marry Gigi Sze-tung for $65 million

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:59 am

Mr Chao is offering you $65 million to marry his daughter, and to be "generous and kind-hearted". He's not offering you $65 million to adopt his own lifestyle...


Yeah but considering his daughter is a lesbian, and you'd be flush with cash you could probably get away with adopting his lifestyle.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 7785
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:49 pm
Location: Slightly outside of Madison

Re: Marry Gigi Sze-tung for $65 million

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:04 am

Image
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 13247
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 2:48 pm

Re: Marry Gigi Sze-tung for $65 million

Postby Michael Patrick » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:33 am

kurt_w wrote:
rabble wrote:Are you assuming one partner per session?

Er, yes, I was. No comment.

Michael Patrick wrote:If I had $65 million burning a hole in my pocket I bet I could find 10,000 women to sleep with me too. That's $6,500 per woman. That'll buy you the top of the line, even better than Eliot Spitzer-quality hookers... :mrgreen:

Um, I think you're confusing two different parts of that story. Mr Chao is offering you $65 million to marry his daughter, and to be "generous and kind-hearted". He's not offering you $65 million to adopt his own lifestyle...


My point was the dude obviously has a lot of money if he can plunk down $65 million on trying to find a husband for his lesbian daughter. And dudes with a lot of money can get a lot of chicks. And the quickest route to lots of chicks if you have lots of money (and especially if you look like me...) is to buy 'em!

So I'm not surprised by a dude with lots of money bragging on sleeping with lots of chicks.

And yes, two chicks at the same time, man...
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3937
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:56 am
Location: Around here somewhere

Re: Marry Gigi Sze-tung for $65 million

Postby doppel » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:56 pm

kurt_w wrote:
Her father's name is "Chao Sze-tung", with "Chao" being the family name and "Sze-tung" his given name.


In English, it sounds like "Chao's da dong". I know a married woman who says she has always dreamed about having two men at the same time; one cooking and one cleaning.
doppel
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 576
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:30 pm
Location: varies

Re: Marry Gigi Sze-tung for $65 million

Postby kurt_w » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:38 am

doppel wrote:
kurt_w wrote:
Her father's name is "Chao Sze-tung", with "Chao" being the family name and "Sze-tung" his given name.


In English, it sounds like "Chao's da dong".


The official mainland China romanization (Hanyu Pinyin) for his name would be either "Chao Sidong" or "Chao Sitong"...
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4963
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Marry Gigi Sze-tung for $65 million

Postby Detritus » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:27 am

kurt_w wrote:
doppel wrote:
kurt_w wrote:
Her father's name is "Chao Sze-tung", with "Chao" being the family name and "Sze-tung" his given name.


In English, it sounds like "Chao's da dong".


The official mainland China romanization (Hanyu Pinyin) for his name would be either "Chao Sidong" or "Chao Sitong"...

Actually, it would be Zhao Siceng. But it's a moot point--his name is Cantonese, not Mandarin, and moving to Pinyin is also moving from Cantonese to Mandarin. Non-Cantonese speakers might call him Zhao Siceng, but he wouldn't call himself that.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2352
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: Marry Gigi Sze-tung for $65 million

Postby kurt_w » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:26 pm

I'll defer to you on that... I don't really do Cantonese at all.

But ... are you sure about that mingzi? Siceng, really? In what romanization is "ceng" written "tung"?

... and the title of this thread is still totally screwed up. It's as if we were talking about Jane Smith, daughter of Brian Smith, and we kept referring to her as "Brian Jane".
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4963
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Marry Gigi Chao for $65 million

Postby Detritus » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:57 pm

kurt_w wrote:I'll defer to you on that... I don't really do Cantonese at all.

But ... are you sure about that mingzi? Siceng, really? In what romanization is "ceng" written "tung"?

... and the title of this thread is still totally screwed up. It's as if we were talking about Jane Smith, daughter of Brian Smith, and we kept referring to her as "Brian Jane".

It's written that way when "tung" in Postal is the same as "tseng" in Wade-Giles, and the "ts" is represented with a c in Pinyin. Romanization of personal and place names in former colonial parts of China is a total clusterfuck. Between the different flavors of Chinese, the different languages of the romanizers, the peculiar linguistic theories behind some of the romanizations, we have received a welter of bizarrely unpronounceable names. Wade-Giles and Postal romanizations, which gave us such beauties as Peking (Beijing) and Hsuan Tsang (Xuanzang), are by no means the weirdest--consider the southern Chinese family name Ng. The Yale romanization is particularly fun, dropping vowels with abandon, and inserting consonants to indicate tone. I understand academic specialists in Chinese linguistics like it, and it does show up from time to time in personal names (eg. "Turng," which is pronounced like the Pinyin "Deng").

It occurs to me that ol' Cecil Chao is taking the wrong tack. If he wants his daughter to marry a man, he should offer HER the $65 million.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2352
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: Marry Chao Gigi for $65 million

Postby kurt_w » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:24 am

Detritus wrote:
kurt_w wrote:I'll defer to you on that... I don't really do Cantonese at all.

But ... are you sure about that mingzi? Siceng, really? In what romanization is "ceng" written "tung"?

... and the title of this thread is still totally screwed up. It's as if we were talking about Jane Smith, daughter of Brian Smith, and we kept referring to her as "Brian Jane".

It's written that way when "tung" in Postal is the same as "tseng" in Wade-Giles, and the "ts" is represented with a c in Pinyin.


Wait, wait ... Are you serious? Is Postal actually used for romanizing personal names in HK?

I just lazily assumed that "Sze-tung" was Wade-Giles and thus you'd render it as "Sidong" or "Sitong" in Pinyin. Then after your comment I started reading about romanization systems used for Cantonese and quickly got lost. It's just too f#cking confusing. Wikipedia seems to list eight romanization systems for Cantonese:

    Guangdong Romanization
    Hong Kong Government
    Jyutping
    Meyer-Wempe
    Sidney Lau
    S. L. Wong (phonetic symbols)
    S. L. Wong (romanisation)
    Cantonese Pinyin
    Standard Romanization
    Yale
    Barnett–Chao
and that doesn't even include the Postal Map one.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4963
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Marry Gigi Sze-tung for $65 million

Postby Detritus » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:17 am

kurt_w wrote:Wait, wait ... Are you serious? Is Postal actually used for romanizing personal names in HK?

Hong Kongers can romanize however they like. If their name is pronounced "Dong Fanghong" but they want to romanize it "Xpiano Q. Mapcase," well, it's a free country. That may change as romanization becomes more and more important to the bureaucratic system, but at the moment, at least in Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Macao, things are still open.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2352
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 9:42 pm


Return to Headlines

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar