MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, December 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 36.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

The Kerry-fication of Romney is almost complete

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

The Kerry-fication of Romney is almost complete

Postby brentron909 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:00 pm

An excellent piece of critique by John Cook on the slanted media coverage of Romney during the 2012 campaign.

http://gawker.com/5947910/yes-mitt-romn ... -the-press

A few choice quotes, to summarize:
Many of the reporters, producers, and editors managing coverage of the political campaign may be culturally or politically liberal, but their first allegiance isn't to the Revolution. It's to the Story. And the Story So Far of this campaign is that Romney is a hapless, robotic, buffoon who insists on repeatedly detonating his campaign in an escalating series of Inspector Clouseau disasters.

The press is doing to Romney the same thing it did to John Kerry, and to Al Gore before him: Covering him as a loser.

Kerry and Gore were never able to shake it off, and while those races went up and down in the polls, their portrayals were frustratingly constant. Can you imagine Romney—the one you see in political coverage—being portrayed as an emerging hero after the last two weeks? I can't.

I can't say that I disagree with the analysis. And like the author of this piece, I hate Romney- the sneering rich asshole who sees us as either "job creators" or "the other 47%".

Still, I would like to see some substance to his media coverage instead of a tireless Cool Guy vs Loser narrative. What do the media think of his platform? His political experience?

So, to all the "moderates" on this fair board, what aspects of Romney vs. Obama would you like to see highlighted?

Or, to everybody else, what aspects of Obama's candidacy do you think are lacking in the media coverage?

I think the myopic range of stories we've gotten so far runs both ways and we all lose in the long run.
brentron909
Forum Addict

Re: The Kerry-fication of Romney is almost complete

Postby snoqueen » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:48 pm

It's too late now, but I think the media failed to lean HARD on Romney regarding his disavowal (or at least disregard) of his moderate and productive record as Massachusetts governor. That he signed health care legislation that was the model for the legislation Obama signed is a matter of historic fact. That Massachusetts' healthcare program is successful by many or most measures is a matter of fact:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/2 ... re-reform/

That link has some good background on the Massachusetts bill, along with how it's been received by various sectors of the public and how the numbers look.

He's trying to hide this from the American public? He should have been falling all over himself bragging about it, and the media should have been throwing it in his face until he did. Where did this come from, this absurd idea it's perfectly OK to totally reinvent yourself and no one should call you on it?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:37 pm

Etch-a-Sketch!

Nobody knows who he is, because he is whatever he thinks people want him to be at any given moment.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:26 am

brentron909 wrote:Or, to everybody else, what aspects of Obama's candidacy do you think are lacking in the media coverage?

I would like to see some coverage about what happens when the money soaked rituals of electoral politics are mistaken for a people's movement, and how the mass movement politics of 40 years ago has been abandoned in favor of the candidate's own money kissing ambitions.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Return to National Politics & Government