MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 44.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Baked eggs

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Baked eggs

Postby Lily » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:16 pm

Don't know if what I made tonight qualifies as a crustless quiche, but it was still mighty good. Start off with a 400 degree oven for the first 1/2 hour and lower to 350 for the remainder. Dish is done when fork or toothpick in the middle comes out dry. Time depends on your oven and mine is a rascal. Ingredients are extremely flexible--most likely whatever vegetables you have on hand will work.

Saute the following: 1/4 cup finely diced green pepper, 1/4 finely diced white onion, 1 diced roma tomato, 1 clove crushed garlic in canola oil. After about 2 minutes add 1/4 block firm tofu, drained, and cut into 1/2 inch cubes. Sautee until tofu is lightly browned. Add 8 oz sliced mushrooms of your choice and sautee until most liquid has evaporated.

Drain liquid from vegetables and place in an oiled pie pan. Put 6 eggs in a bowl with 2 T half and half with 1 T Penzey's Bold spice blend. Whip up until creamy. Carefully pour the egg mixture over the vegetables. Put in oven. Let cool and serve.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Baked eggs

Postby Shorty » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:17 pm

I wish I was a good cook.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:32 pm

That's a frittata, and Shorty, they're super easy. Dump n bake.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:41 am

When I see "baked egg", I think of this, which is also super easy and damn tasty, to boot.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Petro » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:30 pm

I tend to consume a hard-boiled egg each day as a part of my breakfast. I've taken to baking them in their shells.

There's more complex directions involving water baths and whatnot, but I tend to just preheat the oven to 325 and place the eggs on the rack with a nice amount of space between them.

Large eggs get pulled out at 15 minutes, jumbos at 20. I throw 'em back into the cardboard container and put the entire works straight into the fridge.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby Ducatista » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:51 pm

I LOVE crustless quiche. Here's a simple ham & cheese version:

5 eggs
1.5 cups heavy cream
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup chopped scallions
1 cup ham (less is OK), cubed fine
1/2 cup freshly grated sharp-ish cheddar cheese
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter or oil a 9-inch pie plate or quiche dish. In a large mixing bowl, beat together eggs, cream, and pepper. Stir in scallions, ham, & cheddar.

2. Pour mixture into dish, sprinkle with Parmesan. Bake 30 to 40 minutes, until egg is set and top is lightly browned. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.

Super easy, super yum, and super adaptable. The givens are the egg/cream ratio and the grated parm on top, and I add a little salt if there's no ham involved. Everything else is up for grabs. I've made a crab version, replacing the ham, scallions, and cheddar with:

1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup finely chopped roasted red bell pepper
6 ounces cooked crab meat (refrigerated Blue Star Blue Swimming lump is pretty good)
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:48 pm

Quick and easy crust: use a tortilla. The flour ones work the best. Heat it in the microwave until it's soft and easy to form to the pan. Spray pan with cooking spray first. Works well for quiche or a quick apple (or whatever other fruit) pie.
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:34 pm

Shorty wrote:I wish I was a good cook.

It is time for me to admit that, unpacking the food bag from my last kayak camping trip, I looked at the leftovers while this thread was still fresh in my mind and decided to experiment.

Half a bag of Ova Easy Egg Crystals. (roughly six very small eggs)
One Spam Classic Single.
One medium size shallot.
Four half n half singles
1 Tablespoon olive oil
Salt, pepper, Penzy's Sunny Paris spice mix.

Rehydrate eggs, dice spam and shallot, combine all ingredients, oil the pan, bake.

Not bad. Not fantastic but better than the basic scrambled eggs and spam breakfast I usually have. I've got one stainless steel pot with a cover that I think would serve as a dutch oven if I'm careful.

Good way to use up that stuff.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AndyMatts » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:31 pm

Cook's Illustrated tackles baked eggs this month (in addition to an outstanding veggie chili). I've never had them, but it looked good enough that I'm going to try it.
AndyMatts

Return to Cooking & Food issues