MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, September 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 47.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Lose the Helmet: Enjoy the Bike Ride

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Re: Lose the Helmet: Enjoy the Bike Ride

Postby wallrock » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:40 am

I lost my bike helmet years ago and because I'm lazy and don't really like helmets I've not replaced it. I'll either borrow a helmet if I'm biking with friends (usually because they'll insist upon it) or I'll go without. It's dumb and I have no excuse for it. A month or so back I jumped on my bike to make a quick run to the store and coming back I took a different route that took me down a decent-sized hill. I'm normally a slow poke but gravity did its work and I found myself going much faster than I felt comfortable going sans helmet, especially given the rough pavement. But after that "holy shit" moment passed I basically forgot about it.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby markkay » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:59 am

I ride with a helmet. Sometimes I see bikers with helmets on their heads, but they haven't connected the straps. And sometimes I see bikers with helmets hanging from their handlebars. Like they're taking the helmet out for a ride or something. Kids these days....
markkay
Forum Addict

Postby bleurose » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:07 am

Or, wearing the helmet pushed way back on the head so that the entire forehead is exposed as well as the hairline. I see this most often on young folk and some of the older types. Helmet will be pretty much decorative if you take a header off the front because the forehead will smash into whatever well before the front of the helmet. I just keeping thinking of egg shells.....

I wear one most of the time, but there are occasions on a bike trail that I don't. Was hit from behind one time by a lumber truck and fortunately for me, my trajectory was onto the adjacent sidewalk rather than into the adjacent traffic on the other side. I was not wearing a helmet that day and luckily, the first soft tissue contact was a leg instead of my noggin - it could have easily been the aforementioned cranial egg shell. And I was incredibly lucky that the driver had already been slowing for an upcoming traffic light. It was simply an unfortunate geographic arrangement that day as I had just cleared a little rise and he came up over same, didn't see me in time and clipped the milk crate on the back of my bike. When I was able to struggle up a bit, the driver looked worse than I felt I think. Anyway, his company paid for my radiographs and to fix my bike and all was well.
bleurose
Forum Addict

Postby kurt_w » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:24 am

Michael Patrick wrote:I spent my 18th birthday in intensive care after getting T-boned by a car the day before. They had the "DOA" box checked on both pages of the police report, and then they scratched it out apparently when they were able to revive me. I had severe head injuries and was bleeding out both ears. I was not wearing a helmet.

My daughter was trying to argue against wearing a helmet. I pulled out my copy of the police report and showed it to her. The look on her face as she realized how close she came to not coming into this world was priceless... and now she wears a helmet every time.

Yikes. What a close call. On your 18th birthday, no less. Thanks for sharing that story.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mifflander » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:57 pm

markkay wrote:And sometimes I see bikers with helmets hanging from their handlebars.

When I see this it's usually a high schooler who obviously only kept the helmet on until the were out of sight of the house. It's usually girls with nice looking hair.

And I agree if you use wearing a helmet as a reason not to bike you are just looking for an excuse to not excercise.
mifflander
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:48 pm

I took a header off my bike about ten years ago. Broke off my two front teeth (great repair job by Scott Sanderson, DDS). My helmet saved the rest of my noggin.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:28 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:My helmet saved the rest of my noggin.

I know you think it did. But really, thanks for sharing that with us. It explains nearly everything.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:53 pm

Meade wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:My helmet saved the rest of my noggin.

I know you think it did. But really, thanks for sharing that with us. It explains nearly everything.
(chorus of groans)
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Catch All