MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 43.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

The gun thread

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: The gun thread

Postby snoqueen » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:58 pm

D'man! You're back.

I was thinking you'd moved to Lubbock.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:56 am

snoqueen wrote:D'man! You're back.

I was thinking you'd moved to Lubbock.

Aww Sno, you missed me? That's sweet.

I never left, there's just been nothing on here that I've been inclined to write on.

Lubbock? I don't need to go there to enjoy and honor Buddy Holly, but it might be worth the trip just to do that.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:52 pm

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:39 pm

WTF indeed. 5 minutes of Photoshop and those stretchmarks would be gone!

I hesitate to ask what you were doing to come across those pics.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:25 pm

Vigil For Young Victims of Old Bridge Pathmark Shooting
This is Holmdel, NJ.
Residents plan to honor the lives of the two young victims of Friday morning's shooting at the Pathmark in Old Bridge.

Christina LoBrutto, 18 and Bryan Breen, 24 were gunned down on Friday after fellow employee Terence Tyler walked into Pathmark around 4 a.m. shooting An Ak47 and a handgun, before turning the gun on himself.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:37 pm

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:41 pm

From fennel's link:
Arming the [British police] force would, say opponents, undermine the principle of policing by consent - the notion that the force owes its primary duty to the public, rather than to the state, as in other countries.

Hmmm.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:27 am

Just because the discussions on this thread have been so calm and scholarly, one more little news item.

Law student Cody Wilson of the Wiki Weapon project is trying to "create a gun that anybody could print at home, without the inconvenience of having to demonstrate they're legally entitled to own one."

And the manufacturers of his rented 3D printer have repossessed it, citing federal licensing laws. Which is kind of a grey area.

Man. When a guy can't use a 20k printer to make a buncha guns that'll disintegrate after one or two shots, what is the world coming to?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:38 am

rabble wrote:Just because the discussions on this thread have been so calm and scholarly, one more little news item.

Law student Cody Wilson of the Wiki Weapon project is trying to "create a gun that anybody could print at home, without the inconvenience of having to demonstrate they're legally entitled to own one."

And the manufacturers of his rented 3D printer have repossessed it, citing federal licensing laws. Which is kind of a grey area.

Man. When a guy can't use a 20k printer to make a buncha guns that'll disintegrate after one or two shots, what is the world coming to?

I don't know which part of this whole affair is the bigger part of the joke. Why would the printer manufacturer care if the user has a federal firearm manufacturer license? The ATF might care, but then, they might not. One doesn't need a license to manufacture a firearm unless selling it to others. A home made firearm doesn't need to be registered with the feds unless it's a certain type of firearm, such as a machine gun or short-barreled shotgun.

As for the "wiki weapon project" people and their goal of making a gun "without the inconvenience of having to demonstrate they're legally entitled to own one" that's a load of crap too. Seems like a lot of expense and inconvenience to demonstrate something that's already easily done and demonstrated? Why spend 20 thousand to make a homemade gun, when you can make one from things found at a hardware store for $20? I doubt you can make much of a gun from ABS plastic alone. Do they understand how hot a gun barrel gets? The melting point of ABS is far below the temperatures involved. Obviously the firing mechanism would have to be unconventional, since the springs involved couldn't be made of ABS plastic, and the "solenoid" firing mechanism they claim to have experimented with would have to be metal or it wouldn't conduct electricity, so it's not something printed from the printer (which I think cost $9900, not 20K. The $20K figure represents the total money they claim to need to get the project completed.)

The next part of the joke is the reference to the "Undetectable Firearms Act." A nice piece of legislation that basically outlawed something that existed only in fiction, e.g., "the Glock 7" from one of the Die Hard movies.

The whole thing is a pointless stunt IMO.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:54 am

Oh today, well now yesterday, was Gandhi's birthday. Yes he was a proponent of non-violence. But he was not entirely opposed to violence which he greatly preferred over cowardice.

"I do believe that, where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence... I would rather have India resort to arms in order to defend her honour than that she should, in a cowardly manner, become or remain a helpless witness to her own dishonor."

"I have been repeating over and over again that he who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honour by non-violently facing death may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden. He has no business to be the head of a family. He must either hide himself, or must rest content to live for ever in helplessness and be prepared to crawl like a worm at the bidding of a bully."

"Though violence is not lawful, when it is offered in self-defence or for the defence of the defenceless, it is an act of bravery far better than cowardly submission. The latter befits neither man nor woman. Under violence, there are many stages and varieties of bravery. Every man must judge this for himself. No other person can or has the right."

In Gandhi's view, as I understand it, he thought non-violence was superior to violence in opposing evil, but violence was superior to cowardice. The main point was to oppose evil, preferably through non-violence, but if you didn't have what it took to willingly give up your life in a non-violent opposition to evil, then make your opposition a violent one. It' an interesting but misguided line of reasoning.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:41 am

Dangerousman wrote:Why would the printer manufacturer care if the user has a federal firearm manufacturer license?

Potential legal liability.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:09 pm

ilikebeans wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:Why would the printer manufacturer care if the user has a federal firearm manufacturer license?

I'm sure that's what the printer manufacturer will claim, but the legal liability lies with who's manufacturing the firearm, not the company that made the tools or materials to manufacture it. If somebody makes a short-barreled 12 ga. shotgun using some 3/4-inch water pipe and a few odds and ends from the hardware section at Farm and Fleet you'd hardly have legal liability for the pipe manufacturer for that shotgun. Presumably one could use this printer to make an undetectable ABS plastic knife (something that makes much more sense in terms of materials than trying to make a working AR rifle, since there already are non-metallic knives all over the market.) Would the printer manufacturer be liable if somebody sneaks such a knife onto a plane and uses it to hijack? The only legal liability I could see-- and it's a far shot-- would be if the fool trying out his plastic printer-made gun got hurt and tried to sue the printer manufacturer for not including a warning label that reads "Don't be an idiot and try to make a working firearm with this printer."
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:17 pm

Dangerousman wrote:
ilikebeans wrote:

I'm sure that's what the printer manufacturer will claim, but the legal liability lies with who's manufacturing the firearm, not the company that made the tools or materials to manufacture it. If somebody makes a short-barreled 12 ga. shotgun using some 3/4-inch water pipe and a few odds and ends from the hardware section at Farm and Fleet you'd hardly have legal liability for the pipe manufacturer for that shotgun.

A gun assembled from hardware store parts is assembled by you. When you press "Print" on a computer, the printer assembles the product.

It may not seem entirely reasonable, but it's an angle. Crazier things have been tried in court.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:26 pm

ilikebeans wrote:

Allow me to add "and bad press," as we're already seeing.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:18 pm

wack wack wrote:A gun assembled from hardware store parts is assembled by you. When you press "Print" on a computer, the printer assembles the product.

It may not seem entirely reasonable, but it's an angle. Crazier things have been tried in court.

The printer fabricates the parts but final assembly still has to be done by hand.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Headlines