MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, August 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 79.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

"Bully" is the new "Racist"

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

"Bully" is the new "Racist"

Postby bdog » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:22 am

La Crosse anchor says viewer bullied her

The email does not rise to the level of bullying imho. If it does then this woman's doctor must be a bully too.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Re: "Bully" is the new "Racist"

Postby Crockett » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:23 am

The truth may hurt, but it will set you free.

She could have used a lesson from this woman. This is the way to react:

"When I die, no one is going to remember what I looked like, heck, my kids will forget my voice, and slowly, all physical memory will fade away," she writes. "However, my impact and legacy will remain: and, by not focusing on the physical beauty, I have time to cultivate those inner virtues and hopefully, focus my life on creating change and progress for this world in any way I can."

Well done, well done indeed. No 'victim' here.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:51 am

bdog wrote:La Crosse anchor says viewer bullied her

The email does not rise to the level of bullying imho. If it does then this woman's doctor must be a bully too.

The woman's doctor is the woman's doctor. Kenneth Krause (the loser who wrote the email) is an arrogant nobody who felt he had a right to criticize someone he doesn't know, without having the balls to do it in person. All noise, no boys. That's a bully.

No surprise that you'd disagree.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:01 am

For those who haven't watched:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoobdRNNOMo

It's this line from this dudes email that makes him a dick:

Surely you don't consider yourself a suitable example for this community's young people, especially girls

I wonder if he wrote this same letter to every overweight person on TV.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:07 am

Bully is still bully and racist is still racist. You have every right to be both but don't going trying to convince anyone that it's some sort of virtue. The guy who wrote that email could best be described as "asshole".
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:25 am

fisticuffs wrote:The guy who wrote that email could best be described as "asshole".

And she legitimized him by reacting and giving him attention. Let's roll back to 2nd grade on lessons on how to react to assholes: IGNORE THEM.

But I know the allure of the 'victim card' is too hard to fight. After all, this is about self-control, right? (that was a joke) See? Assholes can be funny if you lighten the fuck up.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:29 am

Crockett wrote:
fisticuffs wrote:The guy who wrote that email could best be described as "asshole".

And she legitimized him by reacting and giving him attention. Let's roll back to 2nd grade on lessons on how to react to assholes: IGNORE THEM.

This doesn't work, plain and simple.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:33 am

wack wack wrote:
Crockett wrote:

This doesn't work, plain and simple.

Your life must be a difficult one if you react to every a-hole in the world.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:41 am

Crockett wrote:Your life must be a difficult one if you react to every a-hole in the world.

And you are comically oblivious if you believe ignoring assholes will somehow silence them or make them go away.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:56 am

wack wack wrote:
Crockett wrote:Your life must be a difficult one if you react to every a-hole in the world.

And you are comically oblivious if you believe ignoring assholes will somehow silence them or make them go away.

If I ignore them I don't require their disappearance. See how that works?
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:02 am

i thought this woman did a fine job bringing the story to the attention of her viewers and modeling a mature response to rudeness. She was right about the damage these mean comments do to young children and, especially, to adolescents. To realize someone else has been in the same shoes and is providing a helpful frame of reference can be very supportive to a young person at a vulnerable time of life.

I don't agree with the term bullying, which is so overused it's verging on irrelevance. Just about everything is bullying these days. Rudeness would be more to the point.

While we do need a national dialogue on health (Michelle Obama is doing a fine job), calling out individuals in this way is counterproductive and focusing on appearance instead of behavior is worse than useless.

---

Ignoring something negative does nothing to improve a situation. It's a passive acceptance of the status quo. If that's what you want, fine. I think we can do better.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:15 am

snoqueen wrote:Ignoring something negative does nothing to improve a situation. It's a passive acceptance of the status quo. If that's what you want, fine. I think we can do better.

It would be interesting to hear the stories of the bullies that Crocket has nullified by ignoring. All the bullies I remember enjoyed it. They just got more in the faces of their victims, taking the opportunity to be even bigger bullies, which means more disruption.

It also feeds the "if we don't talk about it, it doesn't exist" mentality.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:25 am

Know who's fat? Chris Christie. Dude's a blimp!

He also talks about bullies all the time.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:27 am

Crockett wrote: Let's roll back to 2nd grade on lessons on how to react to assholes: IGNORE THEM.

The problem is that is how is USED to be done. It never worked that well and now, with the interwebs, text, email, etc... things are very different. There has been a lot of dialogue on the situation recently because it's becoming worse. Most people are now accepting the fact that you must confront these situations and try to change the attitudes. It's not like these are trolls you can just ignore.

Crockett wrote:If I ignore them I don't require their disappearance. See how that works?

If they're an asshole to you, then they're an asshole to others as well. Some people choose not to be selfish and do what they can to help those others that are being affected.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:02 am

Stebben84 wrote:If they're an asshole to you, then they're an asshole to others as well. Some people choose not to be selfish and do what they can to help those others that are being affected.

If your goal is to rid the world of assholes, godspeed. I'll focus my attention on something easier, like curing cancer.

My point is, I'd have rather heard that anchor say, "I'm fat but it doesn't define who I am and I could care less what you think of my physical appearance. I'm more than that and you have no say in my life."

Instead she became a victim to this a-hole and empowered him. Which is more effective?
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Headlines