MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 25.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Dedering for Assembly: Ask Me (Almost) Anything

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Dedering for Assembly: Ask Me (Almost) Anything

Postby Dedering » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:59 pm

Friends & Neighbors,

I am running against Brett Hulsey in the November 6th election to represent the 78th Assembly District in our state legislature. Honest representation is a cornerstone of our democracy and a concept that I do not take lightly. For this reason, I have decided to give The Daily Page’s readers a chance to find out more about me.

I will be refraining from commenting on the recent investigation into Brett’s conduct at Spring Harbor Beach on July 4th but I will comment on almost anything else. If there are any questions about my platform or my background that you would like answered please ask them.

Honest representation is the only thing that can bring the people of this state back together so let's start the healing process today and get to work solving these problems together. I look forward to representing you in the state legislature and will serve as a beacon of hope for honest and good representation everywhere.

Please visit my website http://www.dederingforwi.org, there you’ll find my platform, biography, and you can even sign up for a free yard sign.

Thank you for giving me the chance to make a difference in our community and this Great State of Wisconsin!

Yours truly,

Jonathan Dedering
Dedering

Re: Dedering for Assembly: Ask Me (Almost) Anything

Postby TimScheff » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:07 pm

One of the concerns of switching from a Dem to a Green is a risk of a Green rep not being enthusiastically welcomed by the Dem caucus or being put last in the pecking order.
Facing this institutional challenge, do you think you can be more effective than Rep. Hulsey has been in his first term in navigating the internal "party" process to effectively represent Dane County's perspective and interests?
Are there specific things that he's done in his first term in this regard that you would do differently?
TimScheff

Postby Meade » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:25 pm

I'm willing to vote for you. What's your position on abortion?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:29 pm

Dedering wrote:.I will be refraining from commenting on the recent investigation into Brett’s conduct at Spring Harbor Beach on July 4th...

Ah, but you just did. Snuck it in, didn't you?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:33 pm

Oh Henry, it was an honest mistake from someone who wants us to give him a chance to bring us a bacon of hope. And who doesn't like bacon?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dedering » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:07 pm

Meade wrote:I'm willing to vote for you. What's your position on abortion?

I support reproductive rights and access to protection. I think abortion is one of the most ugly and unnatural aspects of our society but I generally don't think that it is a criminal act. I think that the best way to combat abortion is to educate young people on how to prevent an unexpected pregnancy.

Prior to Roe vs Wade, what we saw was abortions being conducted in back alleys and by black market providers, what we did not see was a society absent of abortions. I do not believe that access to abortion clinics is the root of the problem nor the issue that we should be focusing on legislatively.

I think that if we want to see a reduction of the rate of abortions in our society we should focus on educating young people on both the emotional implications of sexual activities and the proven methods to avoid pregnancy. We need to stop telling young people that abstinence is the only way to avoid pregnancy because they already know that and naturally disregard that concept. The root of this problem is the lack of real discussion about sex and pregnancy within the family and friends of sexually active people.

We certainly should aim to reduce the rate of abortions. In my opinion, that happens through clear and articulate communication with young people on how to fully understand the impact of sexual activity on their lives and the life of their partner. Unfortunately, in this debate there is no clear solution that would outright end abortion. On the other hand, I certainly do believe that we should work to reduce the rates at which they occur.
Dedering

Postby Dedering » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:10 pm

Meade wrote:Do you ride a bike? If yes, have you ever ridden it like "a bat out of hell"?

Yes and yes, I ride a speedy little fixed-gear that I built from scratch. It is the definition of a bat out of hell.
Dedering

Postby Dedering » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:13 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Dedering wrote:.I will be refraining from commenting on the recent investigation into Brett’s conduct at Spring Harbor Beach on July 4th...

Ah, but you just did. Snuck it in, didn't you?

The clarification seemed necessary. It's been a topic that is very hard to avoid.
Dedering

Postby Dedering » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:48 pm

Meade wrote:
I will be refraining from commenting on the recent investigation into Brett’s conduct at Spring Harbor Beach on July 4th

Why are you "refraining" now? You weren't refraining before. Why now?

Meade, your an admin right? What is happening to all of my responses? Every time I submit a response it says that I should await the approval of a moderator. Will I need to wait until business hours tomorrow?
Dedering

Postby Meade » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:57 pm

Honestly, why should we give you political power?

I'm not kidding.

Why should we, Jonathan?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby admin » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:46 am

We're going to tightly administer this particular topic because it seems like an interesting experiment and we'd like to encourage other people and political candidates in the community to try things like this. Based on complaints and emails we've received in the last day, it's clear that many members of the board agree.

Mr. Dedering: It doesn't seem like we have any responses waiting for approval. If you're having issues with posting, please email webmaster@isthmus.com.

Thanks!
admin
Forum Addict

Postby pjbogart » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:21 am

Mr. Dedering, looking at your biography and platform it seems clear to me that your experience in politics is very thin. Organizing sit-ins and protests doesn't really give you to the tools that you need to be a representative. Don't you think your time would be better spent working as a legislative aide and spending a few years learning the intricacies of government?

Wisconsin has a great deal of work to do to attract manufacturing jobs back to the State. I don't think there's any magic bullet which will solve this problem, much less a magic bullet made of hemp. If farmers export cotton for textile manufacturing, what makes you think they wouldn't export hemp as well? I think most Americans, even crazy liberals from Madison, suffer a collective, reflexive eye-roll whenever someone claims that hemp will revive our economy. I don't doubt that you're sincere, but I think voters are less likely to take you seriously with hemp as a major part of your platform.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:53 am

Do you have any plans for a debate?
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:57 am

Yep, the hemp thing is what did it for me as well. While I agree that our drug laws are screwed up and that hemp should be legal to grow and use in manufacturing, it's hardly a solution to what ails Wisconsin's jobs picture.

I'd be willing to consider alternatives to Rep. Hulsey, but I'm not convinced Mr. Dedering is it.
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dedering » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:52 pm

pjbogart wrote:Mr. Dedering, looking at your biography and platform it seems clear to me that your experience in politics is very thin. Organizing sit-ins and protests doesn't really give you to the tools that you need to be a representative. Don't you think your time would be better spent working as a legislative aide and spending a few years learning the intricacies of government?

Wisconsin has a great deal of work to do to attract manufacturing jobs back to the State. I don't think there's any magic bullet which will solve this problem, much less a magic bullet made of hemp. If farmers export cotton for textile manufacturing, what makes you think they wouldn't export hemp as well? I think most Americans, even crazy liberals from Madison, suffer a collective, reflexive eye-roll whenever someone claims that hemp will revive our economy. I don't doubt that you're sincere, but I think voters are less likely to take you seriously with hemp as a major part of your platform.

I am more than ready to take office today. I have an extensive knowledge of the issues that face our state and I offer innovative solutions to those problems. When I was organizing sit-ins and protests I was positioning the members of my community to engage themselves in politics in an effort to solve the problems that face this state and the nation. At the time, it was the best that I could do and I truly believe that the time that I spent organizing demonstrations was far more productive than the time I would have spent as a legislative aide. My network of advocates and activists spans the entire country and I would never trade the gains that I made as an activist for a position as a legislative aide. I do agree that working as a legislative aide would work in my favor in the sense that the position is a typical prerequisite for office but I do not regret the path that I have chosen.

I am not a typical candidate. Unlike many other 26 year olds in this state I do posses the ability to draft bills and fully appreciate the services offered by the Legislative Reference Bureau. While I agree that the typical disposition of young people in this country would lead you to believe that I am some rich kid with a big mouth, but that is simply not the case with me. I have a very balanced approach to governance which I believe is a skill that I gained from my upbringing as the child of two Wisconsin public school teachers. My focus has always been and will always be on solving the problems that face this state.

The reason that we would not export hemp as a raw material is the same reason that we do not import it from Canada. It is not widely known that in this state producing hemp is illegal while importing the material for manufacturing is legal but the freight cost is simply too great that it cuts into the end product’s profit margin on such a scale that makes it is necessary for manufacturing to occur near the source. Additionally, exporting our hemp to surrounding states would be a clear sign that this initiative is working. The crop can be harvested 2-3 times per year and we will be able to develop a surplus of the material. The raw material can be dried and stored safely for long periods of time. Hemp should be a source of state pride. With the innovations that have been made in composite building materials over the past half-century we can make an make nearly any type of furniture that is commercially available out of hemp. We could even manufacture the interior and exterior of vehicles. I’ll list a few other uses: cosmetics, food for humans and animals, stucco, paper, fuel, oil, fiberglass alternatives, and textiles. The uses for hemp is nearly endless and it does not even ruin the soil like corn does.

The point is that if we want to start to fix this economy we must first focus on creating manufacturing jobs. We need to stop dragging our feet. Hemp, as old school as it may sound, is a proven product that without a doubt will begin to create the jobs that we desperately need.

I should also add that the legislators in Washington need to get their ducks in a row and start standing up for American workers. Our manufacturing jobs should not be replaced by cheap foreign labor.
Dedering

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government