MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, October 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 54.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Impressions of the Debate

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Impressions of the Debate

Postby pjbogart » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:40 pm

I think Romney did a great job, perhaps not the home run that he needed, but overall I think he was very effective. If you're a Republican, you probably feel as though he won and I wouldn't argue with the assessment, at least from your perspective.

Overall, I thought Obama seemed like a cooler cookie. Romney seemed pained, pretty much in perpetual grimace. He's used to being the boss, not used to being forced to keep his yap closed. The debate format doesn't benefit him, at least when you're watching personal behavior.

Overall I think the most effective challenge from either candidate was Obama's insistence that for all of the criticism that Romney levels at him, Romney offers no details on how he'd do things differently. People understand that, and even if you support Romney you can't deny that he's long on promises but short on specifics.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Impressions of the Debate

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:52 pm

I think this helped Romney's character, but in terms of substance it was a mishmash of commercial talking points. I really don't like how these debates are set up and haven't for many presidential elections. I feel like I get much more out of local and state debates than I do these. These are political theater and with that I'll give an edge to Romney. Granted his campaign set the bar so low that not shitting on stage was a win.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:54 pm

pjbogart wrote:I think Romney did a great job, perhaps not the home run that he needed, but overall I think he was very effective. If you're a Republican, you probably feel as though he won and I wouldn't argue with the assessment, at least from your perspective.

Overall, I thought Obama seemed like a cooler cookie. Romney seemed pained, pretty much in perpetual grimace. He's used to being the boss, not used to being forced to keep his yap closed. The debate format doesn't benefit him, at least when you're watching personal behavior.

Overall I think the most effective challenge from either candidate was Obama's insistence that for all of the criticism that Romney levels at him, Romney offers no details on how he'd do things differently. People understand that, and even if you support Romney you can't deny that he's long on promises but short on specifics.

I think Jim Lehrer has helped us come to grips with the not so much separation of coke and pepsi. I bothered to watch the entire endevour with an open mind toward Romney, I came away with a bad taste in my mouth. Fortunately I had Brooks and Shields from National Petroleum Television to set me straight with their immediate assessment.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:10 pm

Obama won big. Romney looked like he had a big shit up his ass, and was clenching his sphincter hard. It's like he was trying to sell us on a takeover. Romney basically Etch-A-Sketched his way through the debate, denying past positions.

I listened to the pathetic panel on MSNBC. What a fucking joke those guys. These are true believers who wanted Obama to punch that grimace off his face. Thank God these guys didn't have anything to do with debate prep.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:33 pm

Donald wrote:Obama won big. Romney looked like he had a big shit up his ass, and was clenching his sphincter hard. It's like he was trying to sell us on a takeover.

On substance, I think Romney did fine, preaching to the people he needed to preach to. Moderate and independent voters might be swayed by his insistence that politics needs to be more local, it's a fundamental difference between the parties that often gets lost in the fray.

But if you're focusing on behavior, you're right that Romney was constantly wincing, almost as though he was in pain. I'm not sure if that's idiosyncratic or it was something particular about this debate. If it's unusual for him, no doubt we'll hear conspiracy theories about union stagehands shining bright lights in his eyes. I did notice that his complexion was significantly lighter than Obama's.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:54 pm

Romney proved to be a superb moderator.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:29 pm

Romney was more of a fast talking high school policy debater, trying to spread, rather than truthfully address issues. Anyone who thinks he won is nuts.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby manoletters » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:30 pm

Barack's performance? A HUGE Disgrace! It seems he's out to THROW the RACE! He coulda kicked Mitt in the Face And hardly even missed a pace. Here's OCTOBER's big surprise - He didn't even challenge LIES! He mentioned not 4-7 percent - Obammy should go out, get BENT! Is Romney keeping details quiet Because he must avoid a riot? Obie SUCKED - He's hardly forcing - a DEbate over Mitt's OUTSOURCING! Hot blood is through my veins a'COURSING - Will Michelle soon be him DIVORCING? This contest was Barack's to LOSE Barack - has he been drinking BOOZE? The Pres was really so pathetic - Someone, go out and fetch a MEDIC!
manoletters
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:32 pm

pjbogart wrote: I did notice that his complexion was significantly lighter than Obama's.

Wait, what?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:49 pm

pjbogart wrote: I think Romney did fine... insistence that politics needs to be more local, it's a fundamental difference between the parties that often gets lost in the fray.

Sure, I think folks in "wuscons" are getting the "local" feel. Although, I don't get the feeling we are liking it as a majority.

pjbogart wrote:But if you're focusing on behavior, you're right that Romney was constantly wincing, almost as though he was in pain.

There seemed to be some insecurity issues.

pjbogart wrote: I did notice that his complexion was significantly lighter than Obama's.

Now ya just done gone a bit too far.

To bad, as the Republican party has had a much richer and respectable history anchored in this state than our current "local" class of clowns would lead you to think.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:29 am

Donald wrote:Anyone who thinks he won is nuts.

I understand you think Obama came-off well. But you have to try and guess how most people are going to react to determine who "won". The fact that you think anyone who disagrees with your impression is "nuts" suggests picking debate winners is not your very best talent. (No doubt you are a fine dancer and excellent at jeopardy, don't take it too hard.)
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:35 am

Obama played to not lose, Romney played too win, as so many commentators said in so many words.

Obama got smoked in this debate, no doubt about it. Romney scored too many points that Obama didn't punch back on. Obama spent far too much time gazing down and away from the camera, like he was a professor somewhat lost in his own thoughts.

But maybe a lot of people will think Obama came off as a nicer guy.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:38 am

Jim Lehrer was the replacement ref. By being aggressive, Romney managed to get the last word on each and every topic segment. Am I the only one who noticed this?
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donna Kay » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:48 am

The PATHETIC liberals in Madison don't have a clue. The under 30 crowd, the Clueless Generation is still CLUELESS. They are still fighting the recall election, and spending the state's money on their foolishness. Madison, the only liberalm pathetic city in Wisconsin. ALL of you need to grow up.
Donna Kay

Postby johnfajardohenry » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:46 am

I know I keep saying that "worse is better" but sometimes worse is just worse. Obama made me do something I've not done before. He made me feel sorry for him.

How in the Hell could he have been so ill prepared and incompetent up there? It wasn't that Romney was so good. he wasn't. It was that Obama was so horrible. It reminded me of some ways of Admiral James Stockdale in the 1992 VP debates. Stockdale at least had the saving grace of being a highly intelligent man who had accomplished something in his life without reliance on affirmative action.

I am really starting to fear that Obama is going to lose this thing and that scares the bejabbers out of me. I may have different reasons for wanting Obama to win (or, really, for Romney to lose) than many here but we do agree that he does need to win.

How can we drag this pathetic excuse for a pol over the finish line? We've got 2 more debates to go. I doubt that Obama will do any better in them, either. Then we have Bumbles O'Biden. Perhaps the plan is to make Obama look good by comparison.

This election is not looking good at all.

I'm pissed off, Obie. You HAVE to do better than this.

And lay off the Mussolini sneer, Obie. I think it turns a lot of people off. It does me.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to National Politics & Government