MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 43.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Dedering for Assembly: Ask Me (Almost) Anything

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Dedering for Assembly: Ask Me (Almost) Anything

Postby bdog » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:03 pm

Meade wrote:If bdog, who might be a vegan for all I know, doesn't want it, please give it to Stu Levitan because Stu hates me and if I ever run for political office, I want Stu to vote for me. Thanks.

Oh I definitely want your bacon.

Please don't take that the wrong way.

Just give me all of the bacon and eggs you have. Wait, wait, I worry what you just heard was, “Give me a lot of bacon and eggs.” What I said was, “Give me ALL the bacon and eggs you have.” Do you understand?

- Ron Swanson
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:17 pm

bdog wrote:For honestly answering my inane questions, you have my vote.

Same here.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:02 pm

Stu Levitan wrote:So that's why you offer me treyf?

And no, I don't hate you. You flatter yourself to think I care enough about you to muster such an intense emotion. It's more of a calm and quiet contempt.

BTW - you were pretty roundly rebuked for already trashing this thread once. Yet you come back, just to make a stupid, condescending joke. Why?

Stu, I listen to your radio show pretty much every Sunday morning, especially now that they killed my Charlie, but if you continue feeding the Meade I'm going to have to consider listening to long-winded descriptions of lesser known classical music on public radio.

The debate is on.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dedering » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:44 pm

Steve Vokers wrote:
Dedering wrote:
Steve Vokers wrote:Small businesses don't create a lot of jobs. NEW businesses create jobs, regardless of size.

Rail isn't cheap, and the cost per job is sure to be high. Just buying the right-of-way is going to get real pricey real quick.

Small businesses are a crucial component of our economy. We need to facilitate the means for entrepreneurs to turn an idea into a business. That is how a small operation in a garage turns into a large operation in a warehouse.

Your right that rail isn't cheap but you'll see that this plan leaves us tangible results. We'll see both permanent rail jobs as well as temporary construction jobs and an infrastructure to facilitate manufacturing growth for decades.

Compare this to the methods that the WEDC has been using to stimulate growth. The WEDC is giving handouts to companies to create jobs. Handouts do not influence markets but infrastructure will.

How is government building rail lines to serve private businesses not a handout?

Trust me, I'm no fan of how WEDC does business, but let's call a spade a spade.

Your right, it is a spade.

In this case, there are strong economic indicators that the impact of a plan to expand rail access would create jobs and put whole communities back to work. Rail is a channel by which revenue travels, jobs are created, and communities are financed.
Dedering

Postby Stu Levitan » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:58 am

pj,
thanks for listening, and thanks for your kind words.
i hear you about the Meade-feed. i'm trying to avoid punching down, but that bacon thing really pissed me off - both for what it did yet again to the thread, and because he should respect my religion. but i'll try not to bite the bait next time. thanks,
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:08 am

$403,900 you got any questions for Mr. Dedering?
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:36 am

What would your first three legislative proposals be?

As an unaligned member in a highly partisan legislature, how would you have any influence?

What legislation has Rep. Hulsey introduced or supported that you would have opposed?
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:52 am

Stu Levitan wrote:pj,
thanks for listening, and thanks for your kind words.

Specifically, which of pj's words were kind?
You flatter yourself, Stu. (I say, punching up at my superior, Der Kommissar).
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dedering » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:43 pm

Stu Levitan wrote:What would your first three legislative proposals be?

As an unaligned member in a highly partisan legislature, how would you have any influence?

What legislation has Rep. Hulsey introduced or supported that you would have opposed?

What would your first three legislative proposals be?

My number one priority is to refund public education. My plan would ask that the sales and use tax be raised by a single percent and a refundable income tax credit be created to alleviate the incurred costs on low income families. On average, this plan would cost the average person about $11 per month, which amounts to about $140 per year. This measure would initially generate a $800,000,000 annual increase in state revenue minus the tax credit. It is essential that we do not turn our backs on our future generations. Any lapse in education funding could have a devastating result. My plan is an emergency measure that prioritizes education as a grand Wisconsin tradition. It is a small price to pay for a safer and smarter future.

Second, I would seek to legalize hemp for the purpose of creating a foundation for a massive expansion of manufacturing in the state. Hemp is a raw material that can be locally sourced, can provide manufacturing jobs in rural areas, and it can be sold anywhere because it is only illegal in its raw form. Hemp should not have been made illegal in the first place. As a matter of fact, hemp and marijuana are cultivated using such varied techniques that marijuana fields in the vicinity of hemp would be ruined once pollinated by the hemp. It’s time to end the reefer madness and make the right choice for our economy. Hemp is used in clothing, paint, cement, stucco, furniture, cosmetics, and composite building materials, just to name a few of the plants common uses. It’s time to take advantage this highly sustainable, enormously useful, and low cost raw material.

Third, I would propose the formation of a non-partisan redistricting commission. The entity would operate similarly to the Government Accountability Board and would be based on the Iowa model. We cannot allow the citizens of this state to be manipulated along partisan lines. A non-partisan redistricting commission is an essential step to repairing the legislature’s credibility as a representative body. The legislature should act immediately to make sure that the redistricting process is never gerrymandered again in the future.

I would certainly be a wild card. The way I aim to use my status is to seek to increase transparency within the legislature. What I plan to do is offer open communication with the public on what is transpiring and how and why our legislature is functioning poorly. I will seek to offer discussion on the issues directly with myself and other legislators in the light of day using communication channels such as this open forum through which we are holding this conversation right now. Essentially, I will aim to make the concerned citizens of this state into the caucus that I am most aligned to and in effect I believe our people will come together to help form the solutions and influence the Republican and Democratic caucuses as a movement of concerned citizens. What qualifies me to make this assertion is that I have a background in web development and marketing. I possess the knowledge that is necessary to rapidly create these communication channels. I aim to bring concerned citizens into the legislative process and bring a wider array of nonpartisan solutions to the table.

I strongly disagree with Rep. Hulsey’s plan to create jobs. He asserts that by renovating our state buildings to be more energy efficient we will create new jobs. While I agree that these buildings should, in a timely manner, be made to be more energy efficient I completely disagree that this plan would result in any significant number of new jobs. His plan does not address any factors that would stimulate permanent job growth in the private sector. While I fully agree with Rep Hulsey that we should aim to stimulate growth in businesses that are of this particular segment of builders, Rep. Hulsey has been much too vague on the specifics of his plan. The plan appears to result in only temporary employment for a small segment of builders and construction companies. We need to create new permanent jobs, I believe the best way to do this is to revitalize manufacturing in the state by expanding market access to entrepreneurs through cooperative distribution channels and also by embracing hemp as a cheap locally sourced raw material in which we can produce thousands of products. To be frank, I believe Rep. Hulsey’s plan holds very little, if any, economic merit in regards to revitalizing our stagnant economy.
Dedering

Postby pjbogart » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:47 pm

I wish you the best, Mr. Dedering. I have to admit that it seems as though you've put a lot of thought into your candidacy but my point about hemp still stands. Encouraging you to abandon an issue that's dear to you seems unfair, but perhaps bumping it a few rungs down the ladder to avoid being dismissed as a stoner might be in your best interests.

And thanks also to the admin for the tight moderation of this thread. I think that ridicule of Stu Levitan's Jewish heritage should be encouraged, especially references to innocuous things like bacon and Nazi propaganda ministers. Kudos to Laurence Meade for pushing the envelope when I didn't think it could possibly be pushed any further. You make us all proud to call ourselves forons.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:33 pm

pjbogart wrote:I think that ridicule of Stu Levitan's Jewish heritage should be encouraged, especially references to innocuous things like bacon and Nazi propaganda ministers.

pj, are you drunk again?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:36 pm

Meade wrote:
pjbogart wrote:I think that ridicule of Stu Levitan's Jewish heritage should be encouraged, especially references to innocuous things like bacon and Nazi propaganda ministers.

pj, are you drunk again?

pj ALWAYS gives us a drunk post alert.

Fwiw, i'm getting there. Where the hell is 'enry?
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:43 pm

bdog, drinking is an enhancement for some. It frees them up to be even more funny, affable, creative, and entertaining.

That describes you.

Others just seem to lose all sense of reality.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SlayerDave » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:21 am

So, to be clear, given a chance to introduce three proposals, one of them (non-partisan redistricting) would be for something that wouldn't come into effect until 2022?

I suppose I admire your forward thinking.

Or would your proposal direct the new redistricting board to draw new lines for the 2014 cycle? If so, is that the best way to spend the legislature's time? Because as you know, in the Iowa model which you mention, while the non-partisan panel draws the lines, the legislature still must give them an up or down vote.

For the record, if I lived in the district, you would 100% have my vote over Hulsey, but all of the things to focus on...
SlayerDave
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:15 am

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government