MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, November 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 10.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Impressions of the Debate

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Impressions of the Debate

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:48 am

Major shaking of the Etch-a-Sketch. Romney threw the base, and everything he's said in this campaign so far, under the bus. When your opponent is standing there lieing for 90 minutes at some point you have to call him on it. I'm sure the fact checkers will flush it all out but it's too late. No one follows up on this stuff. Missed opportunity. I do think though that minds of the voters were pretty much made up before anyone took the stage last night so the big win for Romney probably won't amount to much.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:49 am

Last night is what you will get when two moderate Republicans debate. Romney was sharper, crisper, more decisive and came off as believing in what he was saying. President Obama has triangulated and obfuscated his positions so much so that he cannot convincingly distinguish himself from Romney. Obama is not a Progressive/Liberal, and it showed.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:50 am

Obie?

Chris Matthews is right. You do need to prepare better.

Using John Kerry (who, BTW, served in Vietnam and has the hat to this day to prove it!) as your debate prep partner is probably not the smartest thing you've ever done.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:56 am

pjbogart wrote:I did notice that his complexion was significantly lighter than Obama's.

Are those what Stu Levitan calls "kind words"?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:02 am

Everything else aside, it's plain that the Romney camp tactic of lowering expectations and then putting long hours into coaching and prepping was a good one.

Everyone, including Obama, was expecting Romney to fall on his face and he didn't. That threw Barrack off stride.

But I also agree with Stella. We were watching two moderate Republicans up there.

I'm still going to Bascom Hill though.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:05 am

johnfajardohenry wrote: How in the Hell could he have been so ill prepared and incompetent up there? It wasn't that Romney was so good. he wasn't. It was that Obama was so horrible. It reminded me of some ways of Admiral James Stockdale in the 1992 VP debates.

Hah! Funny comparison to the Admiral. But I think Lehrer played the role of doddering fool last night.

Anybody who watched the 2008 primary debates should not be too shocked. Obama is non-confrontational, a poor debator, although he did get better that year.

I strongly disagree with you about Romney, he was succinct, crisp and organized. His hyper-aggression was perfect for a staggering moderator. It was a perfect storm.

It's telling that Obama actually had more time overall than Romney, Romney was speaking so much more quickly and pointedly, his word count must have been double.

If Romney was sometimes slippery, the president was simply empty: He seemed exhausted, tetchy, and out of sorts, with no positive case for why his second-term agenda (whatever that is) would solve the country's problems. Nor, to my shock, did he even have much a negative case either, against a Republican his campaign has been successfully caricaturing for months. Time and again, he failed to make obvious comebacks and exploit gaping openings, wasting time on throat-clearing and losing himself in a wilderness of ‘ums’ and ‘ahs’ instead.” Ross Douthat
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:42 am

rabble wrote:But I also agree with Stella. We were watching two moderate Republicans up there. I'm still going to Bascom Hill though.

Ha ha ha ha ha. rabble is going to Bascom Hill to wait around doing nothing so he can be a prop with thousands of other tools... all for the campaign rally of a MODERATE REPUBLICAN!
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:45 am

Debate? Here is a recap:

MR: Blah, blah, blah, weak statistic
BO: No you're wrong, blah, blah blah, commercial talking point.
JL: Derf, uh, wait, no, ok, roll my eyes
MR: Blah, blah, wait, one more point (insert commercial talking point)
BO: Jim, one more thing, blah, blah, blah, middle class
MR: Middle class.
JL: Tell me your differences
BO: I'm gonna tell you what you want to here.
MR: Me too.
JL: Thanks everyone, I don't think I'll ever do this again.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:50 am

I knew Meade was mean, petty, spiteful, angry, and small minded. I just didn't realize the extent of it.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:53 am

Huckleby wrote: Obama is non-confrontational, a poor debator, although he did get better that year.

Obama away from his teleprompter is pretty inarticulate. He does not think at all well on his feet. (Or sitting down, for that matter)

Interesting point about non-confrontational. Obama is plenty confrontational when he will not be challenged. Look at his speeches.

He folds like a cheap suitcase when there is a possibility that someone will confront him back.

This is pretty classic bully behavior.

Is Obama a bully?

As for the 2008 debates, c'mon. Obama was facing McCain. My granddaughter, 3rd grade, could do well against him.
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:55 am

I'm giving the president the benefit of the doubt by assuming that he was preoccupied with thoughts of the impending post-debate wedding anniversary "celebration".
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:56 am

rabble wrote:I knew Meade was mean, petty, spiteful, angry, and small minded. I just didn't realize the extent of it.

So just why are you going to Bascom Hill to support a man you claim is a Republican? Hardly seems small minded to point that out.

I am glad you are going, of course. We need to do everything we can to rally round Obama. Thanks for taking the time to help.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:59 am

jman111 wrote:impending post-debate wedding anniversary "celebration".

I doubt there was any of that last night. I think he should count himself lucky if he got inside the house to sleep on the couch.

Michelle does not look romantically inclined at all.

And the expression on Obama's face let's us know he realizes that.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:01 am

Hmmm...

The software seems to be mad at Obie too. It completely cropped him out of the picture, although he was there in preview.

Anyway, here is the link http://ace.mu.nu/archives/sowhodoyouthinkwonhoney.jpg

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:14 am

johnfajardohenry wrote:
rabble wrote:I knew Meade was mean, petty, spiteful, angry, and small minded. I just didn't realize the extent of it.

So just why are you going to Bascom Hill to support a man you claim is a Republican? Hardly seems small minded to point that out.

I am glad you are going, of course. We need to do everything we can to rally round Obama. Thanks for taking the time to help.

John Henry

He's pandering a lot more than I'd like, but good lord.

Doesn't ANYBODY understand that you can disagree with a candidate and still think he's the better choice? When did most of us become "all or nothing" voters?

And anyway, it's beginning to look like work is going to get in the way.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government