MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 74.0° F  Light Rain
Collapse Photo Bar

Impressions of the Debate

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Impressions of the Debate

Postby Meade » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:31 am

rabble wrote:And anyway, it's beginning to look like work is going to get in the way.

Pesky work - always seems to... get in the way.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:40 am

Sez the guy with nothing better to do but sit on his wrinkled ass taking cheap shots at users on a web forum to let them know what losers THEY are.

Watch out for that reflection, Alt-houseboy.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:50 am

Obama was a giant layer cake to Romney's Rosie O'Donnell with a fork. He was eaten whole, it wasn't pretty and when it was over there wasn't much left.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:56 am

Cheap shot? Quoting rabble calling Barack a "moderate Republican" is a cheap shot?

Okay, sorry if I hurt your feelings by showing you what a foolish tool you are, rabble. And a wuss.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:57 am

Anyone who can piss off the Right and the Left has my vote.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:57 am

I think all of the hand wringing by Democrats and chest pounding by Republicans is nothing more than a "monkey see/monkey do" routine. Media pundits are crowing about Romney's slam dunk but I didn't get that impression at all while watching the debate. Is it any secret that the media wants/needs a horse race? I mean, there are a lot of advertising dollars at stake here and Romney has been thoroughly scorched over the past few weeks. He needed a good debate to stay competitite, but they needed a Romney win to pay the bills.

Anyone here actually change their mind after watching the debate? I didn't think so.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:11 am

Anyone see Chrissy Matthew's meltdown? Good lord:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AzmXeZgGS0

All fun aside, I warned you kids earlier this week that this would happen. Obama has been unvetted and unchallenged during the last few year and probably for most of his adult life and he came off as a petulant child.

Romney, on the other hand, as a Mormon and a Republican has faced a trial by fire every day. He is battle-hardened and able to face the music.

He is not a good match-up for Barry.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:32 am

Meade wrote:
rabble wrote:And anyway, it's beginning to look like work is going to get in the way.

Pesky work - always seems to... get in the way.

What, you don't need to attend to the dusting and washing out Mommy's delicates? We know you're a working man, Larry.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:05 pm

If you were to read only the transcripts and ignore the media-induced demand for 'theater' you'd likely side with Obama. Romney was vague.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:07 pm

Huckleby wrote:Obama played to not lose, Romney played too win, as so many commentators said in so many words.

Obama got smoked in this debate, no doubt about it. Romney scored too many points that Obama didn't punch back on. Obama spent far too much time gazing down and away from the camera, like he was a professor somewhat lost in his own thoughts.

But maybe a lot of people will think Obama came off as a nicer guy.

Listening to lots and lots of talk radio today, one thing comes up over and over: those who listened to the debate rather than watching it have a very different opinion from this morning's CSM-driven assessment. Obama was calm and in control while Romney was a fast-talking bully.

Another comment that has come up a lot: last night's Romney has very little to do with the Romney of the last 14 months... so once again, how valuable was it?
Last edited by wack wack on Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:23 pm

pjbogart wrote:Anyone here actually change their mind after watching the debate? I didn't think so.

The problem is that OBama didn't address the questions that undecided voters are asking:
http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/undecided-voter/1418227
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:26 pm

wack wack wrote:Obama was calm and in control while Romney was a fast-talking bully.

Ya, I think there is a chance that Obama won on the likability aspect.

But it sure doesn't hurt to win the arguments. Fair or not, unanswered arguments count as wins.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:35 pm

Huckleby wrote:
wack wack wrote:Obama was calm and in control while Romney was a fast-talking bully.

Ya, I think there is a chance that Obama won on the likability aspect.

But it sure doesn't hurt to win the arguments. Fair or not, unanswered arguments count as wins.

The whole point is that Obama won on substance, not just likability, to those who listened rather than watched the debate.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:43 pm

Huckleby wrote: Fair or not, unanswered arguments count as wins.

Romney had no problem telling the 47% where he will cut. Obama can't because it would have required him to be truthful about his "economic plan". Romney embraces Simpson-Bowles, and so does Obama, but shut up, don't notice. Romney deserves thanks for his brilliant strategy of outing Obama as a Rethug-Lite adopting their values and positions.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:44 pm

wack wack wrote:The whole point is that Obama won on substance, not just likability, to those who listened rather than watched the debate.

Not really. As I said, unanswered points count as wins, and Romney had plenty of them. And Romney made his arguments far more clearly and forcefully. That counts as "substance."

What you are saying is you agree with Obama, and he was more honest. That doesn't mean he was persuasive.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government