MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, August 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 76.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Your favorite/least favorite places in Madison

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Your favorite/least favorite places in Madison

Postby Detritus » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:30 pm

rabble wrote:
Detritus wrote:Great spot! I saw an otter there one morning, and in the spring the touch-me-nots are fun to play with.

You saw an otter? At the Jenny street footbridge?

Damn. I've been wandering that shoreline for ten years, paddling it for the last three and I've never seen an otter. I got a glimpse of a beaver in Starkweather creek. No otters.

Yup. Also saw one on the banks of the Yahara near Tenney Lagoon. Long ago there were a couple of muskrat lodges just offshore of the bridge the runs behind the Natatorium, near the eagle mound. I wonder if all the muskrats are gone now?
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lolabrat » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:40 pm

Union Corners is an old name for the neighborhood the Malt House is in, and now has been applied to the failed development across Milwaukee Street there. The building (and, I believe, the bar itself) housing the Malt House dates to the Civil War, when it was a haunt for Union soldiers.

Thanks! I've lived in Madison my life but sadly did not know about this one. I guess I'll blame it on being a west sider and not getting my hands on Stu's books (sorry). I need to read his books though because I love the history we have here.
lolabrat

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:51 pm

I also recommend Mollenhoff's Madison: A History of the Formative Years.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:16 pm

The Malt House is the Union House Tavern. Very little has changed inside or out, with the exception of the addition of the "beer garden" where a gas station used to stand.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:46 pm

Detritus wrote:Yup. Also saw one on the banks of the Yahara near Tenney Lagoon. Long ago there were a couple of muskrat lodges just offshore of the bridge the runs behind the Natatorium, near the eagle mound. I wonder if all the muskrats are gone now?

Oh lord no. Last spring they were all up and down the river from Monona to Tenney. If you take a canoe or kayak along the shore at Tenney about sundown, it's like a little muskrat city inside all those rocks.

Although this summer, instead of diving down to enter their burrow they're climbing up to it.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:31 pm

scratch wrote:
Beaver wrote:I wish Whole Foods moved there instead
Speaking of a "chain store that doesn't sell anything I need" ...

You don't need good groceries? Where do you get groceries? Do you shop at Target Hilldale much? Do they sell anything you can't easily buy elsewhere?
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby WestSideYuppie » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:33 pm

I'm satisfied with the current configuration of Hilldale, all things considered. It's a short bike ride or walk from my house. I've commented before, that it may very well be the first bike-friendly Target ever. IIRC one of our forons had a role in making that happen. It's also next to a "hub" of bus routes, so it's a smart location for a shopping center.

The typical WSY routine is to bring home a car load of food every few weeks from Woodman's, then fill in the gaps at Target or Sentry. I can put up with some annoyances regarding product selection, pricing, and hipness, in return for not having to turn the key in my car.

And I'm glad that they didn't put up yet another upscale store there. The neighborhood actually has a lot of young families, grad students, and elderly. A practical store with things like diapers makes sense. Also, I see a lot of college kids getting on and off the bus on University, so they're making good use of the mall.
WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Local Politics & Government