MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, October 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 57.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Obama Coming to Town

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Obama Coming to Town

Postby bdog » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:36 pm

The motorcade went past on the empty eastbound beltline as I was in the far left lane on the westbound, right around Yahara bridge.

Jeez I knew the POTUS had an entourage but this was pretty amazing.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:39 pm

I apologize if someone has posted a link to this already, but as it turns out, political rallies like this are covered in the manual.

amid the many documents and manuals that provide guidance in the administration of a campus of 42,000 students and 21,000 faculty and staff members, someone uncovered a written policy called “The Use of University Facilities for Political Purposes.” Among other things, it said that each major political party can hold one event on campus during an election period.

More here:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/29/us/29land.html
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:47 pm

jjoyce wrote:I apologize if someone has posted a link to this already, but as it turns out, political rallies like this are covered in the manual.

amid the many documents and manuals that provide guidance in the administration of a campus of 42,000 students and 21,000 faculty and staff members, someone uncovered a written policy called “The Use of University Facilities for Political Purposes.” Among other things, it said that each major political party can hold one event on campus during an election period.

More here:

There you go again, trying to confuse us with facts.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:59 pm

narcoleptish wrote:
narcoleptish wrote:Agreed, I don't care who it is.

For today I'd like to rescind this.

You're telling me that the secret service cannot somehow safely take the potus down Packers Ave and Gorham? That they must bring the whole fucking central and eastern city to a standstill, twice, once in the middle of rush hour.

I generally like your posts, narco, but that's awfully pussy.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:42 pm

jjoyce wrote:More here:http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/29/us/29land.html

Makes me wonder whether UW will ever be able to attract a new leader. Who would want to work in this forlorn environment, where any potential candidate has to pass muster with wingnut legislators who can't even manage to pass academic muster themselves?

FSM, help us!
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:52 pm

You're telling me that the secret service cannot somehow safely take the potus down Packers Ave and Gorham?

The President of the United States does not go to and from the airport on back streets, ya know.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:03 pm

snoqueen wrote:
You're telling me that the secret service cannot somehow safely take the potus down Packers Ave and Gorham?

The President of the United States does not go to and from the airport on back streets, ya know.

I would think his secret service sets it up to be unpredictable.

As his limo went by me today I was thinking if I was a terrorist with a grenade launcher I would have a clear shot. I was also thinking if the guy in the truck in front of me got out with a rifle I would run him over.

I was also thinking macaroni and cheese would be good for dinner.

I think too much sometimes.

Anyways...I don't think it's good for Potus to always take the main routes.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Petro » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:55 pm

bdog wrote:Anyways...I don't think it's good for Potus to always take the main routes.

I'd imagine he's got people on his staff with a pretty solid handle on best practices. I hear the president travels a bit and the secret service has been doing their thing for a few years now.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby bdog » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:12 am

Let's hear it for the UW! You've come a long way baby!

(original, unaltered photo)
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:43 am

jjoyce wrote:I apologize if someone has posted a link to this already, but as it turns out, political rallies like this are covered in the manual.

More here:

Huh. Seems like the sort of thing campus lawyer types and self-proclaimed politicos might be aware of.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:21 pm

Allow me to post without the anger of yesterday.

I'm sure there are teams of very well paid people responsible for the planning of these events and I'm sure they have access to maps of the city. Seems reasonable. When looking at a map of Madison, one would think that a reasonably intelligent person would notice that Madison isn't built like most cities and offers very little in the way of alternate routes for the populace in the event of a major traffic disruption. Madison is not like Milwaukee or other larger cities with big grid layouts offering dozens upon dozens of choices in every direction.

So here you are with a sizable city on an isthmus with basically 3 streets in either direction through the middle and one major rd (51 & M) around each lake. You have to bring the potus in and out of the middle of the city in a short time frame with the "out" falling right in the middle of a mid-week rush hour. These planners decide it's okay to basically put up a wall (Park St.) completely through the isthmus, and close off one of the 2 alternative routes around the lakes. For a half hour. In the middle of rush hour. With almost no advance warning.

I'm sure it was very cool to see the President for 30 thousand people, but there were probably 100 thousand other people just trying to get home from work, pick up their kids, get to doctors appointments, get to other appointments, get to their next job (that was me), etc etc etc.

If Madison's "back streets" are unacceptable, then I guess maybe the event shouldn't be anywhere beyond the Capitol. Bring him straight up E. Wash and straight back and leave the rest of the city with at least a slower moving alternative to sitting in a 30 sq. mile parking lot.

What they did was just ridiculous. If you were in it and thought it wasn't that bad you weren't where I was. You didn't see angry aggressive driving all up and down Fish hatchery including one very bad looking accident at Wingra Dr, caused no doubt by some hothead desperately trying to find a way across Park St.

It was 90 minutes of my life, not a big deal. I just think the people who planned this showed the kind of obliviousness to the day-to-day lives of the common people that gets talked about so much these days.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:35 pm

narcoleptish wrote:In the middle of rush hour.

Huh? He arrived at 2:30 and left at 3:30. One can argue 3:30 is just the very beginning of rush hour. What time does your definition of rush hour begin. I generally go by the parking restrictions.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:51 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
narcoleptish wrote:In the middle of rush hour.

Huh? He arrived at 2:30 and left at 3:30. One can argue 3:30 is just the very beginning of rush hour. What time does your definition of rush hour begin. I generally go by the parking restrictions.

I hopped a bus at 4:20 and we stayed at that stop waiting for Johnson St traffic to move, till 4 fucking 30! Maybe even 4:32! It was absolutely horrible. People muttered and talked to each other and made phone calls and read books and even looked out the windows.

Man.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:58 pm

rabble wrote:I hopped a bus at 4:20 and we stayed at that stop waiting for Johnson St traffic to move, till 4 fucking 30! Maybe even 4:32! It was absolutely horrible.

I sure as shit hope someone loses their job over that.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:19 pm

Stebben84 wrote:I sure as shit hope someone loses their job over that.

Interesting that you say that. Yesterday's rally was a blatant example of a political campaign being conducted on the taxpayers' dime. Government employees working, on government time, to elect a politician.

Where are the cries for a John Doe investigation?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government