MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 73.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Impressions of the Debate

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Impressions of the Debate

Postby bdog » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:08 pm

Wow Brian Williams just gave the win to Romney as well.

It is possible...that Obama has had enough.

Maybe he doesn't really want to be Potus anymore.

I would not fault him for that.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:09 pm

gargantua wrote:I predict Obama will do much better in the remaining debates, now that he's faced some adversity.

Maybe. But who is going to bother watching the final debates? It's pretty clear that Obama needs some time off. The job is tough and the man is beat. Four years from now, he should be ready to go again.
Last edited by Meade on Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:12 pm

Meade wrote:Maybe. But who is going to bother watching the final debates? It's pretty clear that Obama needs some time off. Four years from now, he should be ready to go.

Biden v. Obama 2016 will be a real dogfight.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:14 pm

I don't think so. Biden suffers a deficit of cleanness and articulateness. Barack will wipe the floor with Joe B.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:33 pm

snoqueen wrote:Blogger James Rowen (Milwaukee) live-blogged the debate and didn't think it was such a disaster for Obama:

http://www.thepoliticalenvironment.blog ... ll-be.html

I honestly don't know what in the fuck everyone is talking about at this point. Frankly, everyone is just getting sucked in by a media narrative that the race has just been turned upside down! Quick, spend some money on commercials on our station!

The race hasn't changed one iota. Romney is still a douche. Romney still thinks that $250k/year is middle class. Romney still has videos out there of him talking about the poor and immigrants as though they were slaves. The real story behind the debate is that Mitt Romney shook a black man's hand and didn't start wincing for a full 30 seconds.

The result of the debate is that the Romney camp is energized and our resident right-wingers are engaged in an epic circle jerk. But Obama and Romney are the same people they were when they woke up Sunday morning. The debate gave Republicans hope, but it didn't de-douchify Mitt Romney.

Go ahead and lie to me, wince-boy! It won't change my vote.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:45 pm

It wasn't your vote he was after peej, it was mine.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:56 pm

pjbogart wrote:I honestly don't know what in the fuck everyone is talking about at this point. Frankly, everyone is just getting sucked in by a media narrative that the race has just been turned upside down! Quick, spend some money on commercials on our station!

No, there is no media conspiracy.

The first reason why this debate is so damaging to Obama is that Romney was on the ropes. Whispers among the Republican political class was that Romney was going down, his fund raising threatened to dry up. (I am repeating pundit punditry, it sounds credible.) Obama lost an opportunity.

The second reason why this debate was so bad is that there are so few undecided voters. The election will be decided largely by the base turnout. Many of the likely conservative voters were demoralized by Romney's endless summer of decline. You have been focused on theory that the debate won't change many minds. Perhaps true, but the debate has shifted the emotional landscape.

Now, the most disasterous debate in memory was Reagan's first encounter with Mondale. Reagan seemed senile. If Reagan can rebound from that one, Obama is not dead yet.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:08 pm

Elections over. Obama had a bad debate compared to Romney's shitty campaign. I'm impressed how many have realized the pundits now run the campaigns.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:14 pm

bdog wrote:It wasn't your vote he was after peej, it was mine.

Oh yeah, you were a real fence sitter. Up until the debate, I was considering voting for Romney, but I think Obama did a great job and now he can count on the vote of pjbogart.

Seriously. It's all a lot of hype intended to generate more interest in a boring campaign.

And Huck, I agree with you that the debate energized Republicans. That's why I clearly stated that the debate energized Republicans. My point is that all of Mitt Romney's dirty laundry is still blowing in the wind. The debate simply established that he's a good liar, it didn't endear him to people that he shows utter contempt for.

Juxtapose his proclamations for how much he cares for middle class Americans with his private statements (and mannerisms) which display revulsion and people are right back where they started.

Mitt Romney is a douche. The debate didn't change that.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:33 pm

The only thing the debates changed was the direction the talking heads flinged their jiz.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby grimfees » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:46 pm

We all lost. As Stebben stated much more colorfully above.
grimfees

Postby Slick Willy » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:11 am

I don't think that the debate changed most people's minds, but I do think that people will be giving Romney another look, and it definitely has energized the base of right, which could bring in more campaign contributions and independent advertising for Romney. Now conservative people and groups won't feel like they're betting on a loser. This will be definitely be a momentum shift for the home stretch. Romney couldn't have peaked at a better time. The next two presidential debates together won't mean as much as this one did, but if Obama can redeem himself at both of them, I still think he can maintain his tight lead.

I have to say that I don't think the debate was as big of a blowout as people are making it out to be. It was just a surprise to a lot of folks who were expecting Obama to do a lot better than he did. Even though I don't want to make excuses for the President, I can see how he or any incumbent would be at a disadvantage for the debate. Obama couldn't focus on debate preparations the way he did four years ago. He acted tired and burned out. Hopefully he can show some energy and enthusiasm next time, and be quick to jump all over Romney's lies and wishy washy stances on issues, because I think we all know Obama has the potential to do much better.
Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:34 am

Close up of Mitt Romney cheating during the debate on October 3rd 2012.
"No props, notes, charts, diagrams, or other writings or other tangible things may be brought into the debate by any candidate."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQZ5_qdH ... e=youtu.be

Gotta dust off my tinfoil hat.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:21 am

Meade wrote:
gargantua wrote:I predict Obama will do much better in the remaining debates, now that he's faced some adversity.

Maybe. But who is going to bother watching the final debates?

So you think 60 million people who watched this debate, and saw something VERY different from what they expected, won't tune in next time to see what happens?

Geez, you know even less about human nature than you do about politics.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:23 am

Stebben84 wrote:
Close up of Mitt Romney cheating during the debate on October 3rd 2012.
"No props, notes, charts, diagrams, or other writings or other tangible things may be brought into the debate by any candidate."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQZ5_qdH ... e=youtu.be

Gotta dust off my tinfoil hat.

But, but the GoreBot told us it was the altitude!
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government