MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 52.0° F  Light Rain
Collapse Photo Bar

Obama Coming to Town

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Obama Coming to Town

Postby Mean Scenester » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:27 pm

In fairness, Obama was not yet addressing the crowd at 3:30, Stebben. Anyone who hopped a bus between 3:30 and 4:00 hit the perfect window of opportunity.

But Narco, give it a fucking rest already. Here's a hint: When the Prez comes to town, expect traffic delays. Period. You knew no later than Tuesday that this was happening, and unless you're a heart surgeon making house calls, I have a hard time grappling with the idea that you couldn't hatch your own contingency plan on this one. You know what? I'd be willing to bet there is a decoy motorcade in addition to the actual one and that, as a result, they wind up closing twice as many streets as might be absolutely necessary. But you know what? Only a shitty American burdened by first-world problems would have a problem with that. I don't care if I voted for the guy or not, he's the President of the United Fucking States, man.

I'm going to guess you don't have much project management experience. I watched this thing develop from high atop the hill and I'm here to tell you it was a goddamn well oiled machine, start to finish. UW crews worked their asses off to make this thing work like a charm. I can imagine the security details the advance team has to implement on the ground in two days time. I can tell you that security was everywhere and seemingly nowhere all at once. Frankly, I was awestruck and I wasn't even in attendance for the actual event. Oh, ya think they have maps of the city in advance? You have no fucking idea, man. This thing was the Bolshoi Ballet of high-stakes event logistics. You ought to be proud your city pulled it off and (I'm assuming) left our guests with a very favorable impression.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:33 pm

Mean Scenester wrote:UW crews worked their asses off to make this thing work like a charm.

I'll say it again: Where is the John Doe investigation?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:39 pm

In fairness, and I hate to say it, but many of you forons indulge yourselves in blatant hypocrisy.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Meade, try to keep up. For the fourth time:

Mean Scenester wrote:
jjoyce wrote:I apologize if someone has posted a link to this already, but as it turns out, political rallies like this are covered in the manual.

amid the many documents and manuals that provide guidance in the administration of a campus of 42,000 students and 21,000 faculty and staff members, someone uncovered a written policy called “The Use of University Facilities for Political Purposes.” Among other things, it said that each major political party can hold one event on campus during an election period.

More here:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/29/us/29land.html

Huh. Seems like the sort of thing campus lawyer types and self-proclaimed politicos might be aware of.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:42 pm

What she said. See, your jackassian outrage only holds weight if Romney requests a similar event and the UW turns him down. I wouldn't hold your breath though, as I doubt he'll bother to take the time to come all this way for 1/10th of the turnout Obama just saw.

Damn but you're a freakin' moron of the first order, ya know that?

Meade wrote:In fairness, and I hate to say it, but many of you forons indulge yourselves in blatant hypocrisy.

Unnecessary conjunction there, pal. I really doubt anyone here would be singing your little twit-bitch song if Mitt decided to drop by. Personally, I think the college campus is a perfect stage for that sort of thing. We don't bother to teach 'em Civics anymore, so let the kids get a front row seat to the democratic process in action. Seriously, anyone who bitches about this sort of thing is a shitty American, I don't care what your party stripe.
Last edited by Mean Scenester on Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:44 pm

If it was Romney there wouldn't have been much of a disruption, as he draws very small crowds. To wit:
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:04 pm

Meade wrote:
When the president shows up in your city, it's pretty cool.

It is. I agree. Unless and until you realize that you've been completely tooled.

Meade wrote:I was there. I saw it first hand.

Meade wrote:In fairness, and I hate to say it, but many of you forons indulge yourselves in blatant hypocrisy.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:57 pm

Mean Scenester wrote:In fairness, Obama was not yet addressing the crowd at 3:30, Stebben.

Blerf, I just realized I DID have it an hour late. Sorry Narco. It was 2:30 when his plane landed and didn't really get there till 3:30. I'll say 20 Hail Meades as my penance.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:03 pm

Mean Scenester wrote:What she said. See, your jackassian outrage only holds weight if Romney requests a similar event and the UW turns him down. I wouldn't hold your breath though, as I doubt he'll bother to take the time to come all this way for 1/10th of the turnout Obama just saw.

Do you pay taxes in Madison? Over a quarter million of Madison taxpayers' dollars to stage a political campaign rally for Barack. I agree - I doubt Romney will come to Madison. Paul Ryan might though. And if he does, we will then get to see your open-minded viewpoint-neutral civics lesson in action.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:07 pm

Meade wrote:Over a quarter million of Madison taxpayers' dollars to stage a political campaign rally for Barack.

So are you denouncing state to state campaigning by all parties? I think I asked this before, but you dodged it.

By the way, must suck for you to live here:

Hmmm, can't quite see Althouse's empty office from this photo.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:40 pm

Meade wrote:Do you pay taxes in Madison?

Sure fuckin' do, chump. And plenty of them go to support shit I couldn't give a rat's ass about. Again, Civics. Look it up.

Over a quarter million of Madison taxpayers' dollars to stage a political campaign rally for Barack.

Got a link? Would sure like to hear that figure from someone other than a disingenuous professional pilonidal cyst.

I agree - I doubt Romney will come to Madison. Paul Ryan might though. And if he does, we will then get to see your open-minded viewpoint-neutral civics lesson in action.

You won't get to see my viewpoint, because I won't be there, nor will I be playing this pissy crybaby act you've refined. Ryan's welcome as far as I'm concerned. Sure won't have to worry about the state of the lawn the day after though.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:51 pm

Mean Scenester wrote:
Meade wrote:And plenty of them go to support shit I couldn't give a rat's ass about.

I'm skeptical. How much is "plenty" and specifically, what "shit" can you not "give a rat's ass about"?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:53 pm

Meeeeaaaadddeeee, are you there?

Stebben84 wrote:So are you denouncing state to state campaigning by all parties? I think I asked this before, but you dodged it.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:02 pm

Why shouldn't political campaigns pay all of the costs of their campaigns? They should. So, if I understand your question, yes, I denounce all politicians for not reimbursing municipalities for all costs incurred by their rallies, etc.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:38 pm

Well the delays and gridlock were a different story for me around Fish hatch and the beltline and a normal 12 minute trip took over an hour. But I will shut up about it because I am apparently making much ado about nothing and should focus my energies on some non-first-world problems...

This coming from people who spend part of every day arguing with Meade.

Mean Scenester wrote: You knew no later than Tuesday that this was happening

And no later than 2:00 on Thursday what parts of town not to schedule a job in.

Oh, ya think they have maps of the city in advance? You have no fucking idea, man.

You'd thunk that a guy with your career post count and forum experience could recognize a little sarcasm. Man.

Giving it a rest now.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government