MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 73.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Impressions of the Debate

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Impressions of the Debate

Postby snoqueen » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:07 pm

After reflecting on it a few days and watching the feedback, I'm thinking Romney put in a good performance but managed to put himself in a vulnerable position for the next two debates providing Obama shows up, which he probably will. (Good point about we don't know what's happening in his personal life, though that isn't an excuse. The show must go on, right?)

Properly questioned, Romney's going to have to explain his about-face on a number of issues, not just deny it exists. Does he throw the Teaps overboard, disavow what he's been saying for months, and move to the center? Does he convince any remaining centrist undecided voters of his sincerity if he does? Or does he lurch back to the right, leaving himself open to questions about what the hell he was talking about in Debate #1?

Political theater is not unlike being a playwright or a novelist. It's your second one that shows where your fault lines are buried, not the first.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Radical Cheerleader » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:33 pm

Meade wrote:In May 2008, I voted in Ohio in the Democratic primary for Hillary Clinton.

I don't care if you voted for Ralph Nader. You're clearly showing your bias against the president and seem to be trying to persuade and disillusion people with your rhetoric, such as calling him an empty suit. I don't pay much mind to people with an agenda, because you always know the gist of what they're going to say before they say it. I listen to Vicki & Rush, but I listen to them the way that I read your comments, Meade. Vicki claims to be a "converted conservative" as well.
Last edited by Radical Cheerleader on Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Radical Cheerleader
Forum Addict

Postby bdog » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:46 pm

Radical Cheerleader wrote: If you watch his speech in Madison the day after the debate, he made it perfectly clear that he's in it to win it.

From the clips I heard I'd say the man is angling for Jon Stewart's job.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Radical Cheerleader » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:36 pm

bdog wrote:
Radical Cheerleader wrote: If you watch his speech in Madison the day after the debate, he made it perfectly clear that he's in it to win it.

From the clips I heard I'd say the man is angling for Jon Stewart's job.

Why, because he has a sense of humor unlike robot Romney? Even Walker said that Romney needs to show more emotion.
Gov. Walker: Romney needs to show 'fire in the belly'
Radical Cheerleader
Forum Addict

Postby bdog » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:55 pm

Not only does he have a better sense of humor, but he's a funny guy!

He will do very well with "Late Night with Barack".
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:19 pm

Radical Cheerleader wrote:
Meade wrote:In May 2008, I voted in Ohio in the Democratic primary for Hillary Clinton.

I don't care if you voted for Ralph Nader. You're clearly showing your bias against the president and seem to be trying to persuade and disillusion people with your rhetoric, such as calling him an empty suit.

"Empty suit" is how progressives and liberals who have known Barack since his Harvard days describe him. It isn't just my bias.

Why don't you tell us what is so substantial about the man that he deserves another four years, Ms. Cheerleader? Persuade us with evidence.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Radical Cheerleader » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:53 pm

Meade wrote:Why don't you tell us what is so substantial about the man that he deserves another four years, Ms. Cheerleader? Persuade us with evidence.

Did you see the latest jobs report? US jobless rate falls to 7.8 pct., 44-month low Oh yeah, that's right, either it's a conspiracy or Obama doesn't get credit for all of the continued job growth, even though Republicans would be quick to blame Obama if job numbers were getting worse.
Radical Cheerleader
Forum Addict

Postby Meade » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:29 pm

Radical Cheerleader wrote:Did you see the latest jobs report?

Great. Hope and Change = 44 months of treading water. At best.

Here's an honest campaign slogan for you: Four More Years - Of Status Quo!

Status Quobama!
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:54 pm

One of the reasons I support Obama is because I got really tired of the Republicans' endless variations of excuses for why they'd have had the country fixed years ago if the Democrats hadn't sabotaged them every step of the way.

I'd rather have four more Status Quobamas than four years of "things got worse because the Democrats wouldn't give us everything we want!"
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:05 pm

Radical Cheerleader wrote:Did you see the latest jobs report? US jobless rate falls to 7.8 pct., 44-month low
This despite a united effort by Republicans to kill the economic recovery. Remember when, instead of addressing jobs bills, the Rs kept coming up with one after another of seemingly urgent causes? Denying access to birth control, for example. Now that's got to be a national priority in the middle of an historic recession, no?

Anything but legislation that would aid a U.S. recovery while under a democratic admistration. That's about as patriotic as patricide.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:40 pm

Matt Taibbi wrote:Romney's performance was better than Obama's, but only if you throw out criteria like "wasn't 100% full of shit from the opening bell" and "made an actual attempt to explain who he is and what his plans are." Unfortunately, that is good enough for our news media, which drools over the gamesmanship aspects of these debates, because it loves candidates who sink their teeth into the horse-race nonsense that they think validates their professional lives.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/bl ... z28fPzaHzh
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:47 pm

snoqueen wrote:Properly questioned, Romney's going to have to explain his about-face on a number of issues, not just deny it exists.

Who is going to question him? Lehrer? Obama? The media?
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:01 pm

DCB wrote:
snoqueen wrote:Properly questioned, Romney's going to have to explain his about-face on a number of issues, not just deny it exists.

Who is going to question him? Lehrer? Obama? The media?

Maybe McConnell could give it a shot. At least you would know where he is coming from.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-A09a_g ... ata_player
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Radical Cheerleader » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:25 pm

Meade wrote:
Radical Cheerleader wrote:Did you see the latest jobs report?

Great. Hope and Change = 44 months of treading water. At best.

Here's an honest campaign slogan for you: Four More Years - Of Status Quo!

Status Quobama!

Yeah, because it' not like he walked into a fresh steaming pile of shit when he took office and had a huge mess to clean up or had to work with a Republican senate whose number one priority was to stop Obama from being re-elected :roll: No president, not McCain, not Romney, could have fixed the mess we were in in just four years. We're lucky that the economy didn't continue to free fall into a depression after the economy crashed just before Obama took office.
Radical Cheerleader
Forum Addict

Postby Stella_Guru » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:30 am

Radical Cheerleader wrote:Yeah, because it' not like he walked into a fresh steaming pile of shit when he took office and had a huge mess to clean up ....

Really, you mean he spent millions of dollars and alot of hard work campaigning and didn't realize what he was getting into?
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government