MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 74.0° F  Light Rain
Collapse Photo Bar

Impressions of the Debate

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Impressions of the Debate

Postby HawkHead » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:19 pm

DCB wrote:
Meade wrote:Sorry - here's the link I meant to give for Putin:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/video/2 ... lear-video

PS: I know - what kind of moderate uses The Guardian as a source?

Your link doesn't say anything about the US debt. FAIL!

Anyway, we know we can trust Putin. W. looked into his eyes.

ZONK

Cheerleader - 1
DCB - 1
Meade - 0

First try - Andy Warhol :oops:
Second try - At least it had Putin in it :oops:
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:21 pm

wack wack wrote:Oh, I think it's pretty clear from all the follow-up you choose to not pay attention to that Romney hung himself last week, and his prospects for success in the remaining debates is grim at best.

But I'll humor you... wow, he sure whooped Obama the first time!

Fascinating.

You've put a face on the rubes who are scammed by emails from Nigerian oil ministers and Three-card Monte hucksters.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:33 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:
wack wack wrote:Oh, I think it's pretty clear from all the follow-up you choose to not pay attention to that Romney hung himself last week, and his prospects for success in the remaining debates is grim at best.

But I'll humor you... wow, he sure whooped Obama the first time!

Fascinating.

You've put a face on the rubes who are scammed by emails from Nigerian oil ministers and Three-card Monte hucksters.

Yep, everyone but FOX News is a rube. Ya got me there.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:39 pm

Andrew Sullivan in full panic mode:

"The Pew poll is devastating, just devastating. Before the debate, Obama had a 51 - 43 lead; now, Romney has a 49 - 45 lead. That's a simply unprecedented reversal for a candidate in October. Before Obama had leads on every policy issue and personal characteristic; now Romney leads in almost all of them. Obama's performance gave Romney a 12 point swing! I repeat: a 12 point swing."

http://andrewsullivan.thedailybeast.com ... -away.html
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:32 pm

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/politics ... 10-08.html

The Newshour went through the various polls. Romney's 46% margin of victory is thought to be the greatest debate crushing in the history of poll taking.

Catastrophie is not too strong of a word to describe what happened. Obama has lost his edge in polls on leadership, the economy, health care.......

I expected Obama to lose the debate. Romney is a sharp cookie and far better at confrontation. I never in a million years dreamed that Obama would show up and mumble at his feet. Look at Obama's closing statement, which was prepared and rehearsed. How did they come up with shit so weak?
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:34 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Andrew Sullivan in full panic mode:

"The Pew poll is devastating, just devastating. Before the debate, Obama had a 51 - 43 lead; now, Romney has a 49 - 45 lead. That's a simply unprecedented reversal for a candidate in October. Before Obama had leads on every policy issue and personal characteristic; now Romney leads in almost all of them. Obama's performance gave Romney a 12 point swing! I repeat: a 12 point swing."

http://andrewsullivan.thedailybeast.com ... -away.html

I share Sullivan's despair. But we'll probably see more reversals of fortune before it's all over. It's an even race now.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:04 pm

Huckleby wrote:Catastrophie is not too strong of a word to describe what happened. Obama has lost his edge in polls on leadership, the economy, health care.......

Oh my fucking lord. Seriously? I've never seen a media narrative so thoroughly envelop the nation. Oh wait... Michael Jackson's death was just a short while ago, wasn't it? He was a brilliant musician, never did anything weird at all! The world lost a true icon, a role model for your children! The greatest man alive!

Back on planet earth, Mitt Romney spent an hour and a half spitting lies through his wincing, puckered face. Obama needed to be more aggressive. But the sky is not falling, Mitt Romney is still a douche and he didn't deliver nearly the curb-stomping that you're imagining.

Huck, hundreds of millions of dollars in political advertising will be spent in this campaign. Romney was losing EVERY SINGLE swing State before the debates. The media is a business, they need a horserace. They want the advertising dollars. They created a narrative where Romney obliterated Obama and completely changed the dynamics of the race, as in people should start spending more money on political ads.

If public opinion actually has changed that much, it had little to do with the actual debate. It has more to do with the incessant whining about Obama's performance on every news channel.

And let me offer you a little guarantee. If Mitt Romney is up 5 points when the next debate airs, Obama will BLOW HIM AWAY! It really doesn't matter what actually happens on stage, it will be an overwhelming Obama victory. Because, you know, that will be the new narrative.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:57 pm

pjbogart wrote:And let me offer you a little guarantee. If Mitt Romney is up 5 points when the next debate airs, Obama will BLOW HIM AWAY! It really doesn't matter what actually happens on stage, it will be an overwhelming Obama victory. Because, you know, that will be the new narrative.

And, despite the current glorification of Romney, the narrative will be decried as "typical liberal media".
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:46 am

pjbogart wrote: Because, you know, that will be the new narrative.

Nope it will be "The Messiah strikes back".
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Radical Cheerleader » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:00 am

bdog wrote:
pjbogart wrote: Because, you know, that will be the new narrative.

Nope it will be "The Messiah strikes back".

Typical racist troll. I think the one thing that's actually kept Obama in this race as much as he has been is that independents, even ones who lean right, don't want to be associated with all of the ignorant hate that is spewed from the wingnuts.
Last edited by Radical Cheerleader on Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Radical Cheerleader
Forum Addict

Postby Meade » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:10 am

How is that "racist"? It's not even "troll". Unless you are talking about yourself.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Radical Cheerleader » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:11 am

Meade wrote:How is that "racist"? It's not even "troll". Unless you are talking about yourself.

Would you call a white president a "messiah"? I've certainly never seen it. Louis Farrakhan once called Obama "a herald of the Messiah", and white people ran with it, because there's a lot of hate for Farrakhan and Muslims, too (not that I'm a big fan of Farrakhan).
Last edited by Radical Cheerleader on Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Radical Cheerleader
Forum Addict

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:20 am

Radical Cheerleader wrote:
Meade wrote:How is that "racist"? It's not even "troll". Unless you are talking about yourself.

Would you call a white president a "messiah"? I've certainly never seen it.

Not trying to troll or anything, but do you even know what the word Messiah means?
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:31 am

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Radical Cheerleader » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:32 am

Francis Di Domizio wrote:
Radical Cheerleader wrote:

Would you call a white president a "messiah"? I've certainly never seen it.

Not trying to troll or anything, but do you even know what the word Messiah means?

It's not what it actually means, because I'm Jewish, so I do understand the true meaning, but it's that I don't think a lot of the people using it in relation to Obama understand what it means or they're speaking in code like Vilas said. They think of it in reference to Farrakhan first using it during Obama's campaign in '08. That's where it got started, and for the longest time, wingnuts on the right were trying to call Obama a Kenyan Muslim (some still are, actually).
Radical Cheerleader
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government