MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 49.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Tommy vs Tammy

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Tommy vs Tammy

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:30 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:My questioning your ethics only was in regards to your response when I broke down the numbers and pointed out based on the article which you posted, Tommy was on average (slightly) more likely to be rated as true than Tammy was.

Actually, you can group the truths/lies a bit different.

Take true, mostly true, and half true:

Tommy: 47%
Tammy: 51%

Take mostly false, false, pants on fire:

Tommy: 54%

Francis, I'm beginning to question your ethics.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:55 pm

Stebben84 wrote:Actually, you can group the truths/lies a bit different.

Take true, mostly true, and half true:

Tommy: 47%

Take mostly false, false, pants on fire:

Tommy: 54%

I guess if you consider half true in the true column then yes, Tammy does do better, I considered half true to be the same as half false, and didn't count it in either column.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:33 am

Rove's group pours another $1.2m into Senate race

Karl Rove's political action group has poured another $1.2 million into Wisconsin's Senate race for ads attacking Democratic candidate Tammy Baldwin.

Crossroads Grassroots Policy Strategies announced the latest ad buy on Tuesday. That brings its total spent on the race since mid-August to $3.8 million.
The ad comes on top of a new Thompson spot released Monday that accuses Baldwin and her supporters of being liars.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:44 am

Interesting info on the financing for both campaigns as well as outside spending.

Did not expect to see so much of Baldwin's fundraising come from outside the state, especially the DC area.

Also didn't realize we had a candidate who is actually a Nimrod... Who does that to their child? Other than 3 generations of this guy's family, I guess.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:47 am

Francis Di Domizio wrote:Also didn't realize we had a candidate who is actually a Nimrod... Who does that to their child? Other than 3 generations of this guy's family, I guess.

Nimrod, according to the Bible, was a king in Mesopotamia. He's linked with the beginning of construction of the Tower of Babel, but mostly he's described as being a great hunter and warrior.

Up until the 1930s, this association "Nimrod = mighty hunter" predominated. To call someone a "Nimrod" in ca. 1900 America would be to call them a great sportsman or outdoorsman.

I think Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd managed to single-handedly turn this around. Fudd, of course, is portrayed as a hunter, but he's also a fool and a moron. So when Bugs refers to Elmer Fudd as a "Nimrod", it kind of shifts people's mental association of the word from "hunter" to "moron".

This is a bit of a problem for those of us in the post-Bugs-Bunny generation, because losing the older sense of the word cuts us off from some of the cultural capital we inherited.

For example, one of the most profoundly moving pieces of music ever written is Edward Elgar's "Nimrod" (Variation IX from the Enigma Variations). It's a standard at British equivalents of US Veterans' Day ceremonies. Elgar used the title "Nimrod" as an allusion to his friend Augustus Jaeger, because in German "Jäger" means "hunter". Jaeger helped rescue Elgar from a bout of severe depression at one point. But to those of us who grew up watching Bugs and Elmer Fudd, it's hard not to laugh when we open a concert program and see this deeply moving theme stuck with the label "Nimrod".

By the time that Calvin calls Susie Derkins a "Grade A nimrod" the original meaning (a mighty hunter) has been totally obliterated, at least for Americans:

But in Britain, "Nimrod" still suggests a warrior or hunter. See, for example, the RAF's Nimrod series of patrol and electronics-intelligence aircraft.

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:59 am

Just wanted to note, I was actually fully aware of the biblical reference. However Nimrod was not exactly a great guy in the bible. While biblical names are quite common (and even more so 3 generations ago) giving you child the name of someone who actively defied God, seems a bit odd.

Once you get past the biblical reference, I can see naming your child "Great Hunter" when that was the common use of the word, but the meaning has changed quite a bit as you point out. I get family pride, but the kid has to live through 12+ years of school with that name. Hopefully they gave him a good middle name.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:26 am

Francis Di Domizio wrote:However Nimrod was not exactly a great guy in the bible. While biblical names are quite common (and even more so 3 generations ago) giving you child the name of someone who actively defied God, seems a bit odd.

I haven't gone back through the Old Testament to find every reference to Nimrod, but from the summary on Wikipedia, most of the bad stuff (including his responsibility for the Tower of Babel) seems to come from non-Biblical sources. Maybe ol' Nimrod just got a bad rap from later historians.

Anyway, I mostly was amused by being able to include the Bible, Sir Edward Elgar, Bugs Bunny, the Royal Air Force, and Susie Derkins in a single post ... in a thread about the Wisconsin senate race.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:30 am

Watersmeet, Michigan is the home of the Nimrods. Many of the students are Chippewa and they are proud of their school's nickname. They are probably hunters too.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:33 am

kurt_w wrote:... in a thread about the Wisconsin senate race.

... which, by the way, I was polled on recently. Despite having left Wisconsin years ago. Yeah, I used to be registered to vote in Wisconsin,but they called me on my current phone, with its east coast area code. Where did they get that phone number? Very odd.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:38 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Watersmeet, Michigan is the home of the Nimrods. Many of the students are Chippewa and they are proud of their school's nickname. They are probably hunters too.

Nice picture. That's one of three things that Watersmeet is famous for (the Nimrods, the Sylvania Wilderness, and car headlights).
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:38 pm

nimrods cling to guns and religion
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:00 pm

GOP-leaning Rasmussen has Tammy up, 51-47.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:59 pm

Tommy seems senile to me, but I think his repetitive parrot-talk is probably relatively effective.

I checked JSOnline to see what this $60k flap is all about and it appears that he's referencing "The Council for a Livable World", a group that appears to essentially support all Democrats if you look at their "who we helped elect" page. They're an organization that pursues peaceful resolutions to military issues and nuclear non-proliferation.

The Council for a Livable World

Council for a Livable World believes that direct diplomatic engagement with Iran on the nuclear issue, without preconditions, should be pursued as soon as possible. Since top U.S. intelligence agencies agree that Iran is still years away from having a deliverable nuclear weapon, if it even chooses to pursue one, there is still time to find a negotiated solution to Iran's nuclear program. Military force against Iran should not be considered at this time, and should not be exercised in the future unless it meets basic requirements, such as authorization from Congress and the United Nations Security Council.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:05 pm

Tammy did outstanding job in debate tonight. She was clear and confident.

It's hard for me to tell how WI undecided voters perceive Tommy. I have to think that female voters see him as boorish and bullying.

To me, leaving ideology and positions aside, Tammy versus Tommy looked like a smart and composed woman humoring her slightly adled uncle.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:15 pm

I know I am being shallow here as this was classic Tommy. But what is going on in his head when the pronunciation comes out as ... "We Umericams"?
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government