MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 66.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Another GOP Voter Supression Effort Confirmed

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Another GOP Voter Supression Effort Confirmed

Postby Stu Levitan » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:00 pm

Meade wrote:
Stu Levitan wrote:Now,Dave, you know I don't fool around with married women.

What does Stu Levitan's sexual orientation have to do with the issue of alleged "voter suppression"? Who cares who Stu "fools around with" as long as he's not breaking any laws?

Let's see .. I make a simple statement premised on the notion that adultery is wrong (it's a sin, you know), and Lawrence turns it into something about my sexual orientation. I guess projection isn't only for the movie theaters.

Pj, thanks for the kind words (you can look them up, Larry). Yes, we've added the NFL doubleheader to strengthen The Mic's finances, and widen our audience. (Somebody tuning it to station for first time to listen to NFL may hear a promo for Stephanie or Books & Beats and decide to check it out.) I trust that Tim and Jeff are fully behind the station, so I'm OK with these kinds of initiatives.

Now, back to our thread -- GOP Voter Supression Efforts!
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:55 pm

Stu Levitan wrote:Now, back to our thread -- GOP Voter Supression Efforts!

Confirmed, right? You've got the smoking gun, Stu?
Or could it have been a simple clerical error? Something like a typo or even a misspelling?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:24 pm

Meade wrote:Something like a typo or even a misspelling?

It said they should be mailed to Albion. Can you explain what word they were TRYING to use?
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:36 pm

I have no idea, Stebbs. Ask Stu. He apparently has the smoking gun that CONFIRMS what they were "trying to use".

Clerical errors, like typos and misspellings, sometimes get made. That's all I'm saying. Heck, I would bet that even a super smart guy like Stu makes one every now and then. So what are you gonna do? Sue him?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:43 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
Meade wrote:Something like a typo or even a misspelling?

It said they should be mailed to Albion. Can you explain what word they were TRYING to use?

Without getting too much into the technical side of things, any "typo" would be in the sql code pulling the address info from the database, or in a id value in the database linking a city to the wrong City clerks office.

That said, it strains credibility to think that a whole county worth of registration forms went out, and nobody noticed that a vast majority of them had the wrong address listed as the mail too address.

So while it's completely possible from a technical side for this to happen, the fact that no one caught said error seems suspect. The fact that this apparently happens with some regularity during elections makes the technical side suspect as well.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:50 pm

Meade,

What would you say if I said its up to the WISGOP to clear their name on this one. All they'd have to do is name the person in charge of their mailings and a short quote from that person of how it got fucked and then a new mailer could then be sent to all the residents that recieved the flawed mailing and all would be forgiven.

If they cared enough about the Wisconsin election process to correct their mistake people wouldn't have such "wild" conspiracy theories but last I checked the WisGOP website they just had some bullshit about Zerban up there.

They did it maliciously, and have a history of doing it. We know it, they know it, even the GAB knows it -- they just can't call bullshit without all the evidence.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:03 pm

Man, you guys really have Laurence Meade on the ropes on this one. Any minute now he's going to admit that you're right and condemn the GOP for engaging in voter suppression. Hell, he might even become a Democrat when he realizes the pervasive dishonesty of the GOP.

If that doesn't happen, I suppose the only conclusion we can come to is that Laurence Meade is a dishonest tool, a partisan hack who puts party loyalty above loyalty to democracy or his nation. What a shock it would be to see Meade bob and weave, refuse to accept obvious conclusions, attempt to change the subject and eventually simply go trolling in another thread.

I can't imagine something like that happening.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:33 pm

pjbogart wrote:
If that doesn't happen, I suppose the only conclusion we can come to is that Laurence Meade is a dishonest tool, a partisan hack who puts party loyalty above loyalty to democracy or his nation. What a shock it would be to see Meade bob and weave, refuse to accept obvious conclusions, attempt to change the subject and eventually simply go trolling in another thread.
PJ, I'm shocked that you resort to calling Meade a racist and homophobe. We really need to spend the next few pages trading insults at the level "I know you are but what am I?" before we can determine whether the GOP is really trying to defraud voters.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:55 pm

Stu seems to have the evidence, the smoking gun - the CONFIRMATION - that this report constitutes "voter suppression by the GOP". I'm asking to see the evidence before I condemn a specific individual or group. Is that considered unfair here in ForonWorld?

I condemn voter suppression by anyone, any party. If that is what this is, then it's wrong. But I also condemn calling something voter suppression when it isn't voter suppression... crying wolf... spreading rumors... creating hysteria.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:58 pm

Meade wrote:... creating hysteria.

um....on the internet? I think you overestimate our power here at TDPF

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:40 pm

Meade wrote:I condemn voter suppression by anyone, any party. If that is what this is, then it's wrong.

Are you saying this isn't that?
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:43 pm

It's just a theory, like evolution.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:01 pm

lukpac wrote:
Meade wrote:I condemn voter suppression by anyone, any party. If that is what this is, then it's wrong.

Are you saying that this is that?
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:09 pm

bdog wrote:
lukpac wrote:

Are you saying that this is that?

If it was 'just a mistake', that implies the state GOP was targeting a get-out-the-vote campaign in a strongly Democratic area. That seems highly implausible.

If it wasn't an intentional effort at voter suppression, the onus is on the GOP to prove otherwise.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:16 pm

No, the onus would be on the town of Albion clerk, who would have to be "in on it" for the suppression to succeed.

How much did the GOP pay that son (daughter) of a bitch??????

Let's get this nailed down!!!!!
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government