MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, October 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 57.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Impressions of the Debate

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Impressions of the Debate

Postby Stella_Guru » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:00 am

Huckleby wrote:Stylistically, Mitt was outstanding - alive, sharp, quick, confident. Obama just the oppositie. The contrast further amplified each side of this equation. If this was not a beat down, I don't know what would be.
You can not seperate style from substance. All of the "lies" you claim have some thin connection to truth. Deceptive points, made in confident and organized rapid succession, are called winning argments.

Romney challenging "corporatist Obama" on his support for too-big-to-fail-banks; "And, because Obama is taking cash from the same sources, he's not able to respond."
Romney's newly styled populism won't hold up when it is seperated from substance.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:01 am

Moving on...
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:01 am

Are you sure you don't harbor racist attitudes yourself, Radical Cheerleader?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:05 am

Radical Cheerleader wrote:He can't waste his time on that crap, and you know it.

Why would that be a waste of his time any more than it was a waste of his time to finally produce documents showing him to be born in Hawaii to an American mother and a Kenyan father?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Radical Cheerleader » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:07 am

Meade wrote:Are you sure you don't harbor racist attitudes yourself, Radical Cheerleader?

Why? Because I can see how obvious it is when people use the term messiah that they really mean (black) messiah?
Radical Cheerleader
Forum Addict

Postby wack wack » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:09 am

Huckleby wrote:You can not seperate style from substance.

Where do you come up with this stuff? Of course you can. Those who listened on the radio absolutely did separate style from substance, and recognized the truth about the bully Romney. Romney's substance was as absent from the radio as Obama's style was from TV.

Whether or not this matters in a practical sense can be debated, but to suggest style and substance can't be separated is silly.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Radical Cheerleader » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:13 am

Meade wrote:
Radical Cheerleader wrote:He can't waste his time on that crap, and you know it.

Why would that be a waste of his time any more than it was a waste of his time to finally produce documents showing him to be born in Hawaii to an American mother and a Kenyan father?

I personally think denouncing Farrakhan and his views was good enough.

The president can't waste his time on every little criticism that people have of him, or he'd spend every waking hour defending himself. Be realistic! Obama had a birth certificate when he took office, but that one wasn't good enough for some people, so he had to go back to the source and get the original one and get employees of the hospital in Hawaii to sign affidavits, but that still wasn't good enough for some people who think there's some conspiracy, so it just never ends and winds up becoming a waste of time.
Radical Cheerleader
Forum Addict

Postby Meade » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:58 am

Obviously, Obama has been wasting everyone's time for the past four years. But that isn't good enough for some people who want him to waste another four years.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Radical Cheerleader » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:19 pm

Meade wrote:Obviously, Obama has been wasting everyone's time for the past four years. But that isn't good enough for some people who want him to waste another four years.

Stupid conservative rhetoric again. You're obviously a waste of time. I'll let you get back to your strange obsession with Stu :lol:
Radical Cheerleader
Forum Addict

Postby Meade » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:38 pm

Okay, if you say so. Thanks for not projecting your strange racial critique onto me.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Slick Willy » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:49 pm

Meade wrote:Okay, if you say so. Thanks for not projecting your strange racial critique onto me.

It's not just her "strange" racial critique. Did you even look a Henry Vilas's link?

Calling President Obama the messiah is very obviously racially based. Anyone who can't see that is either blinded by partisanship, being defensive of their own racist attitudes, or just plain dumb.

The term 'messiah' in regards to Barack Obama did originate with Louis Farrakhan, and Obama haters have been trying to paint Obama as an angry black man who hates America ever since, even though Obama publicly denounced Farrakhan. What people calling Obama a messiah are also trying to express is that his supporters are blind followers, which isn't true for me or anybody else I know who supports Obama despite being critical of him.

I don't agree with Farrakhan's views, either, but this freedom of religion that Romney & Ryan have been speaking so strongly about lately includes Muslims, too, not just Christians. Obama isn't a Muslim, but there's nothing wrong with being a Muslim as long as you're not a radical extremist, which over 99% aren't.

The exact reasons why each individual who calls President Obama the messiah may vary a little, but the common thread is that it's rooted in ignorance and hate, and that's a good enough reason call out anyone using the term in my book.
Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Postby pjbogart » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:55 pm

Blah blah blah... that Romney/Obama debate is so last week. ABC news has the scoop on the next debate and it could potentially be a GAME CHANGER! Yeah, boys. You heard that right. Biden and Ryan in the ultimate political smackdown. There will be blood, maybe a beheading or two. Almost certainly some full frontal nudity. YOU HAVE TO WATCH THIS DEBATE!!!

Stay tuned to ABC news after the debate for a full recap including who won, who looked at his shoes more often and who said things that may or may not be true with the most conviction.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:08 pm

Jesus fucking Christ! (fuck him by the way)

I really didn't give "Messiah" much thought other than it nicely replaced the word that was there:

"The ________ strikes back"

Anyone? Bueller?
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:49 pm

pjbogart wrote:There will be blood, maybe a beheading or two.

Or maybe someone will get their hand sliced clean off.

hint hint
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:20 am

wack wack wrote:
Huckleby wrote:You can not seperate style from substance.

Where do you come up with this stuff? Of course you can. Those who listened on the radio absolutely did separate style from substance, and recognized the truth about the bully Romney.

There is a "truth" about the bully Romney? Don't you understand that this is an opinion?

Substance only matters if it is delivered clearly and coherently. Therefore, you can not separate style and substance. Obama failed to speak persuasively. For instance, Obama's prepared closing argument, the most important moment of the night, were meandering and dreadful.

It is likely that Obama came off better on radio without the awful body language. I don't believe for a second that he "won" with a significant number of listeners who weren't already leaning towards him.

http://view.ed4.net/v/DME6KX/6VJM0M/R3T ... 1&FORMAT=H
The Real Clear Politics average of polls gives Romney a 5% point bump from debate. A month before a tight election, this is a staggering disaster for democrats.

The handful of people on the left who are still arguing that Obama won in ANY sense are setting new standards for self-delusion. Only the choir found Obama convincing. Romney played fast-and-loose with truth, I agree, but that is secondary - he was an impressive, point-spewing machine.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government