MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Friday, July 11, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 74.0° F  Light Rain
Collapse Photo Bar

Top Ten All-Time Forons

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Top Ten All-Time Forons

Postby jjoyce » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:41 am

10: rrnate

Our sweater-vested pal is seemingly always on the mark with an irreverent observation, band plug and/or good-natured diatribe. One of the Forons I often encounter and chat with in real life, rrnate has lent his talents to many bands over the years and is likely to show up on the High Noon's stage in one or more tribute bands during Halloween weekend.

Join me today as we salute rrnate, member of the All-Time Foron team!

Editors note: This is the beginning of an occasionally updated TDPF feature titled "Top Ten All-Time Forons." The rankings are the opinion of jjoyce and jjoyce only. Dispute them if you must (and, let's face it, why else would be you be here?), but you are unlikely to sway that opinion.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Top Ten All-Time Forons

Postby Kyle Motor » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:23 pm

I am chatting with him right now, and he is one of the worst people I know. Simply insufferable. No class, zero taste.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:41 pm

High fives and butt slaps all around! I am honored and pleased to be the first person on Jason's highly subjective list and plan on including on my resume moving forward.

True story #1 - I wore the first sweater vest of the season on Tuesday and it felt great, particularly in the torso area.

True story #2 - I'll be in the David Bowie cover band at the High Noon (the Hung Americans) on Saturday, Oct. 27.

True story #3 - I am the anti-Kyle. One day I will rise to power and end rock &roll for all time, leaving room in mankind's heart for only Billy Joel.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:25 pm

He's only got 3,366 posts. What a slacker.
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:15 pm

Kyle Motor wrote:I am chatting with him right now, and he is one of the worst people I know. Simply insufferable. No class, zero taste.

As always, I stand with Kyle Motor. He's no fancy talk-er.
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:29 pm

I call bullcrap.

There's two types of rockers in Madison: Downtown Rock Clowns and East Side Toughs.

rrnate is a west side wuss. I'm sorry but I have to pull a Kanye on this one. Filibuster time!

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:08 pm

Endo Rockstar wrote:Bullcrap.

Humbug! Come to my speakeasy DJ night where I spin only country-mambo and we'll settle this like adults.

If that doesn't work, you are free to join me in my ironic book club or, if you must, perhaps we can go antiquing together.

Let the anti-Kyle be your friend, Dan.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:12 pm

rrnate wrote:If that doesn't work, you are free to join me in my ironic book club or, if you must, perhaps we can go antiquing together.

Let the anti-Kyle be your friend, Dan.

This is gonna get really awkward when the three of us run into each other at the same antique mall.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:28 pm

Endo Rockstar wrote:I call bullcrap.

There's two types of rockers in Madison: Downtown Rock Clowns and East Side Toughs.

rrnate is a west side wuss.

-Dan Motor

Wouldn't that be three kinds of rockers?

Kyle Motor wrote:This is gonna get really awkward when the three of us run into each other at the same antique mall.

AND ... SCENE.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:08 pm

rrnate, this Bud's for you

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:12 pm

Bdog put the YO in BYOB.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:12 pm

bdog wrote:rrnate, this Bud's for you

Dave, class it up a bit. Rrnate only rocks the BL Nums.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:53 pm

What a thrill that number nine in the countdown (but number one on the beat) is none other than Walter, TDPF's own Officer Friendly.

Walter also provides much spontaneous levity to these boards and is a legit fan of the local scene. But his true service is in giving us all a peek behind the blue curtain of local law enforcement with a cop's eye view. Why do cops use their phones while driving? How much over the speed limit do you have to be going to get a ticket? When is it considered bad form to whip out your night stick? Thankfully, we have Walter around to explain.

So whether you're looking for a rock 'n roll recommendation, some advice on treading the thin blue line or a ticket to the Policeman's Ball, Walter's your guy. Join me in saluting our Foron in blue and ninth best on this purely subjective ranking, Walter.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:11 pm

jjoyce wrote:What a thrill that number nine in the countdown (but number one on the beat) is none other than Walter, TDPF's own Officer Friendly.

Walter is an amazing asset to the community and the Madison Police force. I'm honored to know Walter and don't even have the words to describe how much I respect the work he does on his beat. Its common knowlege that Walter even will go out of his way to pay the cover at the door when a band is playing at a venue in his hood --even if he's just passing through while on duty.

Most fans of the local scene know Walter at least by his face and approachable style. I dare say he has made the city a better place to live by being a cop with an amazing sense of fairness, civic duty, and community involvement. Never have I encountered a police officer in uniform that elicits a response of smiles, handshakes, and friendly hello's from locals instead of a suspicious sideways glares.

Rock on Walter,

Dan "teddybearesque" Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:27 pm

That's some fuckin' encomium right there.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com