MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, December 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 38.0° F  Light Rain Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

The gun thread

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: The gun thread

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:05 pm

Dangerousman wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:I haven't tried to convince anyone of anything.


Henry, not everyone has signed on to the concept of thought-control as a means of societal domination as you have so readily.

I hope you are wearing your tin foil hat so you can deflect all those thought-control signals heading your way.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 20279
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all

Re: The gun thread

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:22 pm

This has got to be one of the dumbest threads on here. 48 pages of back and forth and it seems like every 5th or 6th page is rehashing what has already been said.

I think it's time this thread dies.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 5173
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:59 pm

Re: The gun thread

Postby Dangerousman » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:56 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:I hope you are wearing your tin foil hat so you can deflect all those thought-control signals heading your way.


Right, anyone who doesn't agree with you must be crrrraazzzy. The jonny approach!

Henry, you think way too highly of yourself (no surprise there!) if you believe I ever would regard you as smart enough to figure how to control someone's thoughts. But maybe you can sell that idea to jonny who seems to believe pro-gun people are NRA-controlled automatons incapable of independent thought. (While he unabashedly parrots the Brady Campaign mantra and talking points all the while.)
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2292
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:28 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Re: The gun thread

Postby Dangerousman » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:59 pm

Stebben84 wrote:This has got to be one of the dumbest threads on here. 48 pages of back and forth and it seems like every 5th or 6th page is rehashing what has already been said.

I think it's time this thread dies.


Who's forcing you to read it?
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2292
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:28 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Re: The gun thread

Postby snoqueen » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:02 pm

Stebben, if your opinion represents the general consensus I'll let it drop. I admit I've been one of those keeping it going.

I think it's been eye-opening and it's done a lot to clarify my thinking about an important bit of social policy, but there's no point once things get redundant.

48 pages is pretty long. I'm not sure we're being that repetitive -- we seem to have moved past the kid killed in Florida -- but if others are as fed up as you are, I'll respect it.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 11833
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:42 pm

Re: The gun thread

Postby jman111 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:21 pm

Well, we wouldn't be at 48 pages if unrelated "gun" issues could be addressed in distinct threads.

Joyce wanted only one.
Joyce got 48 pages and counting.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3125
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:43 pm
Location: Dane County

Re: The gun thread

Postby rabble » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:46 pm

It can't die. Where would I put the next installment of the gun printer saga?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6541
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: The gun thread

Postby rabble » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:53 pm

By the most amazing of coincidences, there IS a new chapter to the gun printer saga.
A new patent, issued this week by the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office and titled ‘Manufacturing control system’, describes a system whereby 3D printer-like machines (the patent actually covers additive, subtractive, extrusion, melting, solidification, and other types of manufacturing) will have to obtain authorization before they are allowed to print items requested by the user.


They only talk about cars, sneakers, and food(!) in this article but the patent in question is pretty general. Of course the gun makers will jump on it.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6541
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: The gun thread

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:50 am

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 20279
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all

Re: The gun thread

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:59 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:This should piss off D-Man:

Official proposes bullet tax to curb Chicago crime



Just so I'm clear on this concept:

Someone is willing to risk murder charges and the possibility of getting shot in return fire, but an extra $3 (I'm assuming volume over accuracy) is going to keep Mr. Finger off of Mr. Trigger? And that's only assuming the shooter fails to realize that you can buy bullets outside of Cook county.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2679
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:11 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: The gun thread

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:12 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:but an extra $3 (I'm assuming volume over accuracy) is going to keep Mr. Finger off of Mr. Trigger? And that's only assuming the shooter fails to realize that you can buy bullets outside of Cook county.


Or buy bullets online. I agree. It's a pretty dumb idea.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 5173
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:59 pm

Re: The gun thread

Postby Dangerousman » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:19 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:This should piss off D-Man:

Official proposes bullet tax to curb Chicago crime


I heard about this idiotic idea maybe a week ago. Piss me off? Nah... it only causes contemptuous laughter.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2292
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:28 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Re: The gun thread

Postby rabble » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:06 am

New developments every day in the gun printing saga. First, proof of concept. Then suppression attempts from the printer manufacturers. Then expansion of DRM into 3D printing software.

Now we have Respects Your Freedom (RYF) certification from the Free Software Foundation for the LulzBot AO-100 3D Printer.
The desire to own a computer or device and have full control over it, to know that you are not being spied on or tracked, to run any software you wish without asking permission, and to share with friends without worrying about Digital Restrictions Management (DRM) —these are the desires of millions of people who care about the future of technology and our society. Unfortunately, hardware manufacturers have until now relied on close cooperation with proprietary software companies that demanded control over their users. As citizens and their customers, we need to promote our desires for a new class of hardware — hardware that anyone can support because it respects your freedom.

There now exists a printer that is certified to give the user complete control over everything it does, as opposed to one that will refuse to obey print commands when certain criteria are met.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6541
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: The gun thread

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:44 pm

rabble wrote:New developments every day in the gun printing saga. First, proof of concept. Then suppression attempts from the printer manufacturers. Then expansion of DRM into 3D printing software.

Now we have Respects Your Freedom (RYF) certification from the Free Software Foundation for the LulzBot AO-100 3D Printer.
The desire to own a computer or device and have full control over it, to know that you are not being spied on or tracked, to run any software you wish without asking permission, and to share with friends without worrying about Digital Restrictions Management (DRM) —these are the desires of millions of people who care about the future of technology and our society. Unfortunately, hardware manufacturers have until now relied on close cooperation with proprietary software companies that demanded control over their users. As citizens and their customers, we need to promote our desires for a new class of hardware — hardware that anyone can support because it respects your freedom.

There now exists a printer that is certified to give the user complete control over everything it does, as opposed to one that will refuse to obey print commands when certain criteria are met.



Interesting topic, that I think goes way beyond the discussion of using 3D printers to make guns.

The 3D printer tie-in to gun manufacturing is only interesting(to me at least) from the technical aspect of using the technology to develop parts that will hold up under high stress conditions such as having a bullet explode inside a barrel.

The deeper question that you bring up is how much authority should manufactures have to limit the creative development of others? Tying DRM to this technology seems pretty sketchy imo.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2679
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:11 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: The gun thread

Postby fennel » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:25 pm

Guns (Negativeland)
fennel
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3242
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:24 pm
Location: Inside the Green Zone, Madison

PreviousNext

Return to Headlines

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR
Created with flickr badge.

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar