MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, September 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 41.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Impressions of the VP debate

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Impressions of the VP debate

Postby pjbogart » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:21 pm

Bwis53 wrote:Ryan looked like Nixon. And he kept drinking a bunch of times. What was in that water?

We can rule out veritaserum.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:20 am

Huckleby wrote:
Donald wrote:I remember listening to both Reagan-Mondale debates on radio, and it was clear Mondale won both debates on substance that year.

Please name a politician you disagree with who has won a debate on substance. Extra bonus points if you strongly disagree with him/her. A million dollars if you can cite a debate with Michelle Bachman or Sarah Palin.

We all think the debator we agree with won on substance.

A+ post. "Substance" is just the ability to faithfully reproduce the "correct" philosophical viewpoints shared with the viewer in question. In my opinion, both Ryan and Biden had little substance, because I think they are both wrong on many points.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:31 am

Ryan spoke to his base, Biden spoke to his base. While invigorating the bases is nice, it doesn't sway any votes, which is the whole point.

I must say it was a waste of time to watch.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:53 am

Sandi wrote:Ryan spoke to his base, Biden spoke to his base. While invigorating the bases is nice, it doesn't sway any votes, which is the whole point.

Good points. Although I think the post debate media Rorschach reaction this week and last have some here scratching their heads.

p.s.- Welcome back. :shock:
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:48 am

Sandi wrote:Ryan spoke to his base, Biden spoke to his base. While invigorating the bases is nice, it doesn't sway any votes, which is the whole point.

In a year where there are very few undecideds, motivating the base counts for a lot.

In general I agree with you, debates are mostly about persuading the persuadable.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:55 am

Biden, with those big fake choppers and hair plugs, was sent out there by Axelrod to play rodeo clown and deliver some red meat to the furious Kostards. He had to get team Obama back in the game after Barry's disasterous Rocky Mountain Rockin' last week. I suppose he dragged some of the true believers back to the shallow end of the pool, but I can't believe that obnoxious performance resuscitated the campaign or changed any minds.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:55 am

BTW, Martha Raddatz has been widely praised for her moderating. I give her a C-. She over-corrected for Jim Lehrer and was too quick to interrupt. Good discussions got cut-off.

It's not necessary to change the topic when the current one is still developing.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madcity Expat » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:56 am

pjbogart wrote:But Ryan looked like a deer in headlights. He wanted to give a stump speech but someone kept interrupting him whenever he lied! The nerve!

I'll withhold opinion on the media conspiracy debate - but I read Ryan's performance along these lines. I don't think it went as far as "deer in headlights" - I thought he held himself together adequately - certainly enough to appear 'collected and knowledgeable' to the Neds of the world. But I agree that he seemed to be trying to retrieve things he had rehearsed or was used to repeating, and that Joe strategy seemed to be to deliberately disrupt him when Ryan tried to pull that off.

In fact I'll go so far as to say Biden's performance kept the proceedings more along the lines of something like an actual debate - rather than the mutual press conference these things sometimes are...
Madcity Expat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:58 am

It's hard for anyone to come off looking very good in a debate where you've got Howdy Doody sitting there spouting a stream of lies, and Biden constantly having to interrupt him to call him out on it.

That being said, I'll give the edge to the guy who's not a congenital liar.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:01 am

Madcity Expat wrote:In fact I'll go so far as to say Biden's performance kept the proceedings more along the lines of something like an actual debate - rather than the mutual press conference these things sometimes are...

I fully agree.

Huckleby wrote:It's not necessary to change the topic when the current one is still developing.

When you have only one debate that is only 90 minutes, that is what you have to do. That was the problem with the last debate. They kept going and going only to spew campaign talking points rather then continue a debate on substance.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:21 am

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:22 am

CNN Poll numbers
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/20 ... -biden-44/

One-third of the respondents who participated in tonight's survey identified themselves as Republicans, with 31% identifying themselves as Democrats, and 34% identifying themselves as independents.

The CNN poll was conducted by ORC International, with 381 registered voters nationwide who watched the debate questioned by telephone. All interviews were conducted after the end of the debate. The survey's sampling error is plus or minus five percentage points.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby other i » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:27 am

"...fake choppers...hair plugs...rodeo clown...red meat...furious Kostards...disasterous Rocky Mountain Rockin'...true believers...shallow end of the pool..."

Do you work off a list? Do they update it every day?
other i
Forum Addict

Postby pjbogart » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:08 am

It seems pretty clear that Democrats thought Biden won, Republicans thought Ryan won and independents are largely split. I guess that makes it a draw. Or was it?

After Democrats perceived Obama's performance last week to be lackluster, timid, perhaps even lacking preparation, what Democrats really needed to do was reinvigorate a dejected base. Biden did that, and then some.

And the debate isn't really over. With so many accusations of misstatements, confusion or outright lies, fact-checkers now get to go back and find out who was telling the truth and who was making shit up.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:30 am

pjbogart wrote:And the debate isn't really over. With so many accusations of misstatements, confusion or outright lies, fact-checkers now get to go back and find out who was telling the truth and who was making shit up.

Who needs fact checkers, my unofficial polling (i.e. reading Facebook this morning) makes it clear "who ever you don't like" was clearly lying through his teeth.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government