MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, September 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 50.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Impressions of the VP debate

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Impressions of the VP debate

Postby johnfajardohenry » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:34 pm

DCB wrote:With regard to the assault on the Catholic church, let me make it absolutely clear, no religious institution, Catholic or otherwise, including Catholic Social Services,


That is pretty much what I remembered him saying.

The question is: Is this true? Or is it a lie?

And if it is actually true, why are the Catholic organizations suing over it?

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1335
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:22 pm

Re: Impressions of the VP debate

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:57 pm

Ha, this was kind of funny. Truth be told, I think Paul Ryan is a complete douche bag who has accomplished little to nothing during his career in the senate. Somehow he is a mater of the budget, but I've yet to figure out why or how he was given this magical title. Anyhow:

For years, Paul Ryan has been the shining champion of some really terrible ideas, and of a dystopian vision of the political commonwealth in which the poor starve and the elderly die ghastly, impoverished deaths, while all the essential elements of a permanent American oligarchy were put in place. This has garnered him loving notices from a lot of people who should have known better. The ideas he could explain were bad enough, but the profound ignorance he displayed on Thursday night on a number of important questions, including when and where the United States might wind up going to war next, and his blithe dismissal of any demand that he be specific about where he and his running mate are planning to take the country generally, was so positively terrifying that it calls into question Romney's judgment for putting this unqualified greenhorn on the ticket at all. Joe Biden laughed at him? Of course, he did. The only other option was to hand him a participation ribbon and take him to Burger King for lunch.
You know what's the difference between Sarah Palin and Paul Ryan?
Lipstick.



Read more: http://www.esquire.com/blogs/politics/p ... z297HKFunh


Emphasis mine.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4838
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:59 pm

Re: Impressions of the VP debate

Postby minicat » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:06 pm

johnfajardohenry wrote:
minicat wrote:Biden lied a hell of a lot less than Ryan


Now there is a ringing endorsement.

John Henry


Unfortunately with politics these days, that is a ringing endorsement.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4474
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2002 2:22 pm

Re: Impressions of the VP debate

Postby Huckleby » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:46 pm

johnfajardohenry wrote:He said that Obamatax did not force Catholic organizations to offer these services.

That was a lie.

John Henry


The compromise that was struck is that employers do not have to pay for contraceptive services. Period. Therefore Biden was telling the truth. Catholic hospitals, schools etc. do not have to pay for contraceptive services.

Insurers have to provide contraceptive services as part of health policies, and they have to do so without charging the employer. This does not impose indirect costs, because contraceptive services actually saves money for insurers because of the high cost of pregnancies and especially troubled pregnancies.

I suggest you use the word "lie" sparingly. I understand there is an argument on that CAtholics are still being coerced, but you yourself conceded that insurance regulation is reasonable, so it's a grey area, not one for calling the other side a liar.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6566
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm
Location: parents' basement

Re: Impressions of the VP debate

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:48 pm

Stebben84 wrote:Ha, this was kind of funny. Truth be told, I think Paul Ryan is a complete douche bag who has accomplished little to nothing during his career in the senate.


Which isn't exactly shocking considering he's never been in the senate :P
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2414
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:11 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Impressions of the VP debate

Postby Huckleby » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:51 pm

johnfajardohenry wrote:And if it is actually true, why are the Catholic organizations suing over it?

That question was already answered. It's because some large Catholic organizations want to be more than hospitals or schools or whatever, they also want to act as insurance companies. Therefore they are subject to insurance regulation. They are sueing becaue they don't like it.
Last edited by Huckleby on Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6566
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm
Location: parents' basement

Re: Impressions of the VP debate

Postby johnfajardohenry » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:52 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
johnfajardohenry wrote:I can, and have, run for President...

Really? On which states' ballots?


None.

I was registered as an official candidate with the FEC which had to decide that a 1) A person born in PR is a "Natural Born Citizen" (yes) and 2) That a resident of PR can run for the presidency (yes) before accepting my filing papers.

That was the entire point of the exercise and I never pursued it further.

I did get 5-6 interesting invitations from colleges who were putting on 3rd party candidate forums. I would have liked to go but not enough to pay my own expenses.

My daughter was in 5th grade at the time and VERY upset. She was convinced I would win and she would have to move to DC and leave her school and friends behind.

It is touching when kids have so much faith in their parents.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1335
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:22 pm

Re: Impressions of the VP debate

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:45 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:
Stebben84 wrote:Ha, this was kind of funny. Truth be told, I think Paul Ryan is a complete douche bag who has accomplished little to nothing during his career in the senate.


Which isn't exactly shocking considering he's never been in the senate :P


Blerf, brain fart.

From an earlier post

Stebben84 wrote:I found this interesting:

Paul Ryan Only Passed 2 Bills Into Law In More Than A Decade

The other time Ryan saw one of his bills become law was in December 2008, with legislation to change the way arrows (as in bows and arrows) are hit with an excise tax. Specifically, his bill amended the Internal Revenue Code to impose a 39-cent tax per arrow shaft, instead of a 12.4 percent tax on the sales price. The bill also "includes points suitable for use with arrows in the 11 percent excise tax on arrow parts and accessories."


http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/1 ... 69816.html
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4838
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:59 pm

Re: Impressions of the VP debate

Postby grimfees » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:56 pm

Huckleby wrote:
pjbogart wrote:I think the pundits are trying hard to call this a draw because they desperately wanted to declare Ryan the victor but it just didn't make any sense under the circumstances.


You will not let go of the media conspiracy stuff!

I guess in for a penny, in for a pound.


Yes, except he is dead on. I also love the people saying that Biden was rude and the debate was a draw. LOL, can you say Fauz news sounding chamber? Look, I hate Romney, Obama, and Biden...and, well, Ryan is disgusting sub-human reptile, but, really, even a new born infant can see that Ryan lost that one.

Time to take off the wing-nut blinders,
grimfees
Senior Member
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:25 pm

Re: Impressions of the VP debate

Postby Bludgeon » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:38 pm

Impression of the VP debate...

Biden - Lunatic going in, lunatic going out: Bizarre vice president spends his debate making bizarre faces at the camera for 90 minutes. Somebody somewhere convinced him that making distracting noises the entire time was a good debate "strategy".

I admit - I'm surprised he didn't start eating a peanut butter & jelly sandwich on stage.

There's no fool like an old fool. A sixty nine year old man acting like a 19 year old flunky - is - an old fool. A clown.

Really without Joe Biden it could have been a great debate. If Ryan'd had the chance to debate an opponent who used words instead of a juggling court jester, just imagine. Speak or be silent! Biden looked like a child who accidentally stumbled into an adult conversation.
Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1291
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:27 am

Re: Impressions of the VP debate

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:48 pm

Bludgeon wrote:Really without Joe Biden it could have been a great debate.


Sure, a debate filled with false truths.

Bludgeon wrote:Bizarre vice president spends his debate making bizarre faces at the camera for 90 minutes. Somebody somewhere convinced him that making distracting noises the entire time was a good debate "strategy".


Well, some considered it a win and others a tie, so the public opinion differs from your own.

Bludgeon wrote:I admit - I'm surprised he didn't start eating a peanut butter & jelly sandwich on stage.


I have no idea what this means.

Bludgeon wrote:If Ryan'd had the chance to debate an opponent who used words instead of a juggling court jester, just imagine.


Which right wing site did you get that from:

Biden showed he is a real natural.

His innate ability to bully, muster condescending goofy faces, to laugh, smirk, constantly interrupt, grimace, or chuckle while very serious topics were being discussed showed that when it comes to being a Court Jester, Biden is more than ready to play prime time.


http://www.rightwingnews.com/election-2 ... the-joker/

Try to think for yourself once.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4838
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:59 pm

Re: Impressions of the VP debate

Postby Bludgeon » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:11 pm

Stebben84 wrote:Which right wing site did you get that from...Try to think for yourself once.


See, I don't get lefties. I get nothing from any site. This is my own personal charactarization of Biden's performance. I love ridiculing Biden, because he's a fucking maniac. His mouth is a sock puppet for his own asshole.

I read hard news, subjective opinions of any kind I toss out, any raw, discernably objective data I keep.

Stebben84 wrote:Well, some considered it a win and others a tie, so the public opinion differs from your own.


National Journal is one lefty magazine that called it a Ryan win.

Really I think 'win/loss' is besides the point. I'm surprised you think Biden achieved any sort of positive performance, considering his unhinged, bizarre behavior. But as they say, fuck with the clown...Image
...and you get the balloons.
Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1291
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:27 am

Re: Impressions of the VP debate

Postby pjbogart » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:21 pm

I thought Biden's performance was fine. He was pretty aggressive, perhaps more so than Mitt Romney last week, but he was responding to Paul Ryan's lies. If you sit there and feed Joe Biden bullshit, he's going to call you on it. Paul Ryan could easily have come to the debate armed with some facts and differences he has with the administration, but he chose to trot out stump speech talking points, riddled with factual errors and absurd accusations and Biden called him out on them. Not once, not twice, but 82 times (as Republicans have been pointing out).

You're welcome to be critical of Biden's "rude behavior" but perhaps the solution is to start relying on facts when discussing politics. People are obviously sick of the bullshit, which is why they don't blame Biden for interrupting Ryan so much.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6151
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:57 pm

Re: Impressions of the VP debate

Postby Huckleby » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:29 pm

Biden was aggresive and animated. I didn't think he was rude - it was a debate.

He was a little weird with all the smiling, but that's because he's a little weird. I've watched and admired Biden for years, he's very smart and colorful, to put it kindly.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6566
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm
Location: parents' basement

Re: Impressions of the VP debate

Postby Bludgeon » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:40 pm

Really Biden reminded me of the kind of absurd, happless character you might expect to find in one of Gogol's stories. Like a ridiculous, used up civil servant with only one part to play, but with little flashes of a soulless humanity that somehow makes you want to laugh; an entire personality wrapped around a set of talking points to the point of warping.

Impossible to take him seriously enough to call his behavior rude... yet spellbinding to think that a fool such as this could have been the vice president. A child unable to comprehend that the fart noises he's making with his armpits aren't part of the conversation, no matter how loudly he tries. You half expect him to pull out a peanut butter + jelly sandwich and start eating it on stage because he seems mildly retarded to the extent that he just might not know where he is or exactly what is going on. Seems. If that's coy, he's coy like autism.
Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1291
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:27 am

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar