MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 34.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Biden for Prez in 2016?

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Biden for Prez in 2016?

Postby johnfajardohenry » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:43 pm

For as long as I can remember, at least since the 1960 election, I've been hearing that the Vice Presidency is a natural pick to be president.

I've seen comments here on the Forum to this effect and just saw some comments elsewhere that Biden was positioning himself for 2016 last night. The writer was very supportive of Biden's performance.

What I've never understood is why this is such a common meme.

In the entire history of the US we have had 2, count 'em, 2, sitting VPs succeed to the presidency.

We have had 1 (Nixon) who sat out a term, ran and won the big chair. (Since 1900, at least)

We have had 5 who became prez on the death of the president (Or resignation, in Ford's case)

4 (Roosevelt, Coolidge, Truman & LBJ) managed to get elected in their own right. None of the 5 served a 2nd full term.

Nixon got re-elected but we all know how that turned out.

So where does this myth that the Vice President is a good qualification to run for Prez come from? Why does it refuse to lie down and die?

Anyone have any thoughts?

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Biden for Prez in 2016?

Postby johnfajardohenry » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:45 pm

I forgot to mention Hilary.

Back in 08 there was talk that she should be VP to position her for '16

More recently there was talk that Biden should step aside in her favor for the same reason.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:35 pm

First off, please link to these comments from said writer. Second, I don't think he would win. Third, I hope you're ready to donate to my charity for our bet.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:51 pm

Stebben84 wrote:First off, please link to these comments from said writer. Second, I don't think he would win. Third, I hope you're ready to donate to my charity for our bet.

1) I see a lot of stuff coming across my screens and can't always find it again. I am not sure if this is the same article I had in mind but it certainly mirrors the sentiments. This was the first result of a search on Biden +positions +2016 which returned about a million hits total.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/ ... story.html

I did not mean this to be a discussion so much of Joe in 16 as a more general discussion of VPs and the presidency. Joe just triggered the thoughts.

2) I agree that it is doubtful Biden could win. That assumes he could even get nominated which I think is a huge stretch.

3) I suspect now that both Joe and Barry will be on the ticket come November. If they are, I will pay off.

If they are not, I will expect you and the others to pay off.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby manoletters » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:36 pm

Joe Biden TROUNCED Paul Ryan, on Medicare, where Ryan has been lyin'. I was really pleased that Biden condemned Ryan's voucher plan, which is just a means of eliminating Medicare's guarantee of coverage, no matter what misleading euphemism Ryan employs. The Vice, unlike Obama's deference to Romney, didn't allow the lies Ryan has been spewing through his teeth to go unchallenged. Biden also prevailed on the Iran issue, when he pleaded with "folks" (i.e., Republicans and perhaps a few Blue dog Dems who are just itching for war with Iran) to back off from the loose talk and dangerous war-mongering. The Vice Pres wisely quoted Former Defense Secretary Gates, who very intelligently understands the the LAST thing the USA needs right now is another war in the Middle East. And Biden was quite correct when he described a possible war in the straights of Hormuz as a disastrous prospect for America's vital interests. Did Biden grin and cackle too much? Maybe, but I don't believe that to be very important. Did he interrupt Paul Ryan on more than a few occasions? Perhaps, but didn't Mitt Romney repeatedly interrupt Barack Obama last week in Denver? Biden is Biden, and his personal drawbacks are just that. But he FOUGHT a good fight. I'd sooner vote Biden for President than the thoroughly sold-out, opportunistic Barack Obama, whom I now despise unconditionally. If Obama doesn't come out swinging in the next presidential debate, I will literally hate him. The POTUS's performance was a disgrace. I'm not accepting any of the arguments attempting to justify the president's failure. We NEED more angry black men, and angry white men too, for that matter. We need more angry women as well, and all these irate folks should be very incensed at the American ruling class. Angry enough to tell the Repubs and their Democrat-plutocrat collaborators that we need to tax the rich MORE, and the middle class about the same as presently. That was another area where Biden told the truth, namely that Ryan's tax policy serves the billionaire class to the detriment of the rest of America. Indeed - Joe Biden for President in 2012!
manoletters
Forum Addict

Postby Sandi » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:45 pm

I forgot to mention Hilary.

That might be getting tougher since Ben Rhodes, Deputy National Security Adviser to the President threw her under the bus.

The Cable asked Deputy National Security Advisor for Communications Ben Rhodes whether Biden was speaking for the entire Obama administration, including the State Department, which acknowledged receiving multiple requests for more Libya security in the months before the attacks. Rhodes said that Biden speaks only for himself and the president and neither of them knew about the requests at the time.

The State Department security officials who testified before House Oversight Committee Chairman Darrell Issa's panel Wednesday never said they had made their requests to the president, Rhodes pointed out. That would be natural because the State Department is responsible for diplomatic security, not the White House, he said. Rhodes also pointed out that the officials were requesting more security in Tripoli, not Benghazi.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:46 pm

manoletters wrote:Joe Biden TROUNCED Paul Ryan, on Medicare, where Ryan has been lyin'.

I was really pleased that Biden condemned Ryan's voucher plan, which is just a means of eliminating Medicare's guarantee of coverage, no matter what misleading euphemism Ryan employs. The Vice, unlike Obama's deference to Romney, didn't allow the lies Ryan has been spewing through his teeth to go unchallenged.

Biden also prevailed on the Iran issue, when he pleaded with "folks" (i.e., Republicans and perhaps a few Blue dog Dems who are just itching for war with Iran) to back off from the loose talk and dangerous war-mongering. The Vice Pres wisely quoted Former Defense Secretary Gates, who very intelligently understands the the LAST thing the USA needs right now is another war in the Middle East.

And Biden was quite correct when he described a possible war in the straights of Hormuz as a disastrous prospect for America's vital interests.

Did Biden grin and cackle too much? Maybe, but I don't believe that to be very important. Did he interrupt Paul Ryan on more than a few occasions? Perhaps, but didn't Mitt Romney repeatedly interrupt Barack Obama last week in Denver? Biden is Biden, and his personal drawbacks are just that. But he FOUGHT a good fight.

I'd sooner vote Biden for President than the thoroughly sold-out, opportunistic Barack Obama, whom I now despise unconditionally. If Obama doesn't come out swinging in the next presidential debate, I will literally hate him. The POTUS's performance was a disgrace. I'm not accepting any of the arguments attempting to justify the president's failure.

We NEED more angry black men, and angry white men too, for that matter.

We need more angry women as well, and all these irate folks should be very incensed at the American ruling class.

Angry enough to tell the Repubs and their Democrat-plutocrat collaborators that we need to tax the rich MORE, and the middle class about the same as presently.

That was another area where Biden told the truth, namely that Ryan's tax policy serves the billionaire class to the detriment of the rest of America.

Indeed - Joe Biden for President in 2012!

Not good, but better.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:31 am

manoletters wrote: If Obama doesn't come out swinging in the next presidential debate, I will literally hate him. The POTUS's performance was a disgrace. I'm not accepting any of the arguments attempting to justify the president's failure.

If Obomber appears to lose the next debate be prepared for the last hope argument of the Dems. The next President will have to nominate one or two justices to the Supreme Court and so we must vote for Obama.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:37 am

Stella_Guru wrote:
manoletters wrote: If Obama doesn't come out swinging in the next presidential debate, I will literally hate him. The POTUS's performance was a disgrace. I'm not accepting any of the arguments attempting to justify the president's failure.

If Obomber appears to lose the next debate be prepared for the last hope argument of the Dems. The next President will have to nominate one or two justices to the Supreme Court and so we must vote for Obama.

I would say that is an effective argument for driving turnout. It is probably less helpful for getting independent voters. My guess would be that there are more independents that want a left-leaning legislature and right-leaning judiciary than the other way around.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:44 pm

Crazy as a shithouse rat and one heartbeat away from the button isn't a good combination.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Return to National Politics & Government