MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Saturday, July 12, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 77.0° F  Mostly Cloudy with Haze
Collapse Photo Bar

Tough ID laws could block thousands of 2012 votes

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Tough ID laws could block thousands of 2012 votes

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:19 pm

HawkHead wrote:Seriously?

Someone who gets National attention tells people to suppress votes and that's OK?

The "kids" from Milwaukee should be sentenced to jail for their crimes. I hope they were. But that is no excuse for someone elses conduct.

Is it OK for me to rob someone because someone else has robbed me?

No, but I think your right to free speech would allow you to joke about it. Maybe you think Huckles made a stupid joke. I certainly do. But it was a joke, as opposed to the offspring of two Milwaukee democrats who actually did the crime.

Now if someone subsequently follows Huckles' advice and does this, I am sure an argument will be made that he is complicit in the crime, but until then, I'm pretty sure his right to free speech allows him to make dumb jokes.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:39 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:
HawkHead wrote:Seriously?

Someone who gets National attention tells people to suppress votes and that's OK?

The "kids" from Milwaukee should be sentenced to jail for their crimes. I hope they were. But that is no excuse for someone elses conduct.

Is it OK for me to rob someone because someone else has robbed me?

No, but I think your right to free speech would allow you to joke about it. Maybe you think Huckles made a stupid joke. I certainly do. But it was a joke, as opposed to the offspring of two Milwaukee democrats who actually did the crime.

Now if someone subsequently follows Huckles' advice and does this, I am sure an argument will be made that he is complicit in the crime, but until then, I'm pretty sure his right to free speech allows him to make dumb jokes.

Noboby's free speech was infringed. Mike Huckabee said it.

Why do people make that arguement? I never said he couldn't say it. But there definitely should be consequences for his speech. If I owned the network that Huckabee was on I would suspend him without pay for a week and make him apologize.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:16 pm

HawkHead wrote:Why do people make that arguement? I never said he couldn't say it. But there definitely should be consequences for his speech. If I owned the network that Huckabee was on I would suspend him without pay for a week and make him apologize.

You're right, you never said he couldn't make the statement, just that his joke offended you, and so he should be punished for your inability to ignore a bad joke.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:27 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:You're right, you never said he couldn't make the statement, just that his joke offended you, and so he should be punished for your inability to ignore a bad joke.

Huckleberry isn't just some guy in a bar making a joke. He's a well known Republican figure, he ran for President, and he's got a talk show. His party has been pushing voter suppression laws all across the country. If he makes a 'joke' about voter suppression,its a bit hard to ignore.

I'd be happy with seeing him punished, but I'll settle for public scolding.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:54 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:
HawkHead wrote:Why do people make that arguement? I never said he couldn't say it. But there definitely should be consequences for his speech. If I owned the network that Huckabee was on I would suspend him without pay for a week and make him apologize.

You're right, you never said he couldn't make the statement, just that his joke offended you, and so he should be punished for your inability to ignore a bad joke.

The joke doesn't offend me. But you can't see that. Just like before you went off on 1st amendment rights.

Mike Huckabee and the network that runs his show should know that they need to hold themselves to a higher standard. They have a civic duty to uphold. Suggesting voter suppression even as a joke is not appropriate on that type of show.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:37 pm

As noted previously, Pennsylvania's voter ID law is on hold. But that doesn't mean they still can't try to suppress voters! They are spending $5 Million to tell people to bring an ID they don't need:
That critical detail in Simpson’s opinion — that photo ID is not required in this election — has been lost in much of the $5 million advertising campaign by the Pennsylvania Department of State, voters rights advocates charge. On buses, an ad displays a photo ID with “SHOW IT” in big block lettering. In smaller type, it says photo ID is not mandatory. Moreover, state officials acknowledge that it was not until Tuesday, a full two weeks after the court opinion, that the last of the pre-decision billboards announcing photo ID as a requirement came down.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ele ... -decision/
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:24 am

Ohio's John Husted is such a dedicated public servant, he won't rest until he's tried every possible option to suppress votes.
A three-judge panel of the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals yesterday placed a stay on a lower court ruling that would allow voter disenfranchisement based on poll worker error.
But this ruling allows for the possibility that [the voter] would have to confirm their precinct with the poll worker, which essentially means they would have to check the work of the poll worker, with their ballot against what they wrote down in the polling book. And this poll worker error happens more often than you think; with these rules in place, Ohio threw out tens of thousands of ballots in previous elections.

This ties in with other efforts to give poll workers incorrect information. If the voter is foolish enough to trust the poll worker, and gets the wrong ballot, too bad.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:10 am

"True the Vote" will be out at the polls today:
A partial list of precincts targeted by a Pittsburgh Tea Party group working on behalf of the Republican Party shows that nearly 80 percent of the voters in those precincts are African-American, compared to 13 percent countywide, according to civil rights and union groups who on Monday called on the U.S. Department of Justice to investigate.

But they're not racist, really!
"Nobody's targeting African-Americans anywhere in the country, that I know of. We're sending volunteers to precincts which have had irregularities in the past or statistical issues."

Hmm. I wonder what 'irregularities' they are referring to ?
He said the reasons were explained to him by the man who gave him the list: Chris Metz, executive director of the Republican Committee of Allegheny County.

Metz, however, would not answer questions about how the list was created. "That I cannot speak upon," he told HuffPost. "That is the state party that put that together."

Valerie Caras, spokeswoman for the Pennsylvania Republican Party, responded to HuffPost's query by email: "“These claims are ridiculous..."

But Ms. Caras doesn't offer any details on how they came up with their list.

So, what motivates these patriotic individuals?
[True the Vote founder] Catherine Engelbrecht, told The New York Times that she suddenly became concerned with voter fraud after President Barack Obama's election in 2008. "I don’t know, something clicked,” she told the Times.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to National Politics & Government