MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, November 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 23.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

CEO's threaten layoffs if Obama wins

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

CEO's threaten layoffs if Obama wins

Postby Beaver » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:57 pm

CEO's are starting to threaten their workers that there will be layoffs if Obama wins. The Koch brothers are the latest to join in the threats.

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2012/1 ... ?mobile=nc

"Not content with their unprecedented influence in politics, the Kochs have also taken to influencing the votes of their employees. According to In These Times, Koch Industries sent 45,000 mailers to employees at Koch subsidiary Georgia Pacific, urging votes for Romney and other conservative candidates. The letter warns ominously of “consequences” for the workers if Republicans lose...
The Kochs are not the only ones attempting to influence employee votes. Two CEOs recently issued threats to employees about their jobs if Obama wins. And Murray Energy’s CEO allegedly coerced donations to Republican candidates after forcing coal miners to attend a pro-Romney rally without pay."
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Re: CEO's threaten layoffs if Obama wins

Postby Mad Howler » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:42 pm

Clearly, the emerging notion of "radical centrism" is not going to readily click into place with this tribe (or mine for that matter). I suppose the lessons of the last 4 or 5 decades are on the side of this way of thinking. The thing is there is really nothing outside of our collective willingness that lets such subterfuge persist.

BTW- if you have time to listen to last weeks On The Media you might find some helpful context.

http://www.onthemedia.org/2012/oct/12/
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:31 am

Corporate terrorism, pure and simple.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:17 am

Here are a couple more: billionaire CEO David Siegel, who runs a timeshare empire, and Arthur Allen, CEO of ASG Software Solutions.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:04 pm

Beaver wrote:The letter warns ominously of “consequences” for the workers if Republicans lose...

Aww, c'mon, give the exact quote:
...then many of our more than 50,000 U.S. employees and contractors may suffer the consequences, including higher gasoline prices, runaway inflation, and other ills.

It's less ominous when they give specific examples of what they're talking about. I think those examples are bogus, by the way, but that's beside the point.

Also, and this is a sincere question: Does the factual and/or political correctness of the message being sent to employees have any bearing on its appropriateness? If a different employer sent a similar message to employees saying something like, "assuming the Act isn't repealed, the continuing developments of Obama's healthcare policy in the coming years will allow X Corp. more upward flexibility in our decisions about hiring and compensation...", would it still be considered voter intimidation, and therefore be wrong?
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:06 pm

Does the factual and/or political correctness of the message being sent to employees have any bearing on its appropriateness?

Nope. It's the fact that he sent it at all that's inappropriate.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:09 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Nope. It's the fact that he sent it at all that's inappropriate.

Good. I can't deal with logical inconsistency.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:09 pm

ArturoBandini wrote:Also, and this is a sincere question: Does the factual and/or political correctness of the message being sent to employees have any bearing on its appropriateness? If a different employer sent a similar message to employees saying something like, "assuming the Act isn't repealed, the continuing developments of Obama's healthcare policy in the coming years will allow X Corp. more upward flexibility in our decisions about hiring and compensation...", would it still be considered voter intimidation, and therefore be wrong?

I think a more appropriate example would be: If Mitt Romney wins the Presidency he has vowed to repeal Obamacare which will lead to continued double digit increases in health care costs. We cannot, as a company, continue to absorb these additional costs so we will need to increase co-pays, decrease availability of health care or lay off workers.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:17 pm

pjbogart wrote:If Mitt Romney wins the Presidency he has vowed to repeal Obamacare...
Huh? Seriously, that is some strange grammar and strange logic to boot.

The question is whether it is OK for an employer to send any sort of suggestion about the implications of an election outcome to their employees. The implications could be negative, positive, or neutral. My opinion is that it probably is OK, in a free-speech sense, but it is still kinda tacky.

I also think there is a difference between saying, "If X is elected, we'll probably have to lay-off a number of you" and saying, "If you vote for X, you will be fired".
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:20 pm

How is a president responsible for tax increases?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:20 pm

"If X is elected, we'll probably have to lay-off a number of you" and saying, "If you vote for X, you will be fired".

Yeah there is but the line between the two is thin and blurry.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:22 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:How is a president responsible for tax increases?
because Bush Tax Cuts.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:26 pm

ArturoBandini wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:How is a president responsible for tax increases?
because Bush Tax Cuts.

How can a president end the Bush tax cuts?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:27 pm

I guess I take the opposite side. I have no problem with any company's management threatening to downsize their own business if an election doesn't go the way they want.

If the potential impact on their business really is predictably negative, then it's best to let the company's employees have a heads-up so they can start looking elsewhere.

On the other hand, if it's just a fit of pique by hard-core partisans in the company's management, then it's probably a bad business decision. Their competitors will see an opportunity and will move in to grab some of their business. Their shareholders will be unhappy (if it's a public firm), or the owners and their families will take a loss (if it's private). I'm all in favor of letting badly-managed businesses with ideologically obsessed management downsize themselves right out of the market, if that's what they want to do.

Just go Galt already, guys. Seriously, we won't miss you.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:34 pm

Nice. Kurt takes the free market approach. I commend that.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to National Politics & Government