MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
breese stevens field
Friday, July 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 70.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Impressions of the Debate

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Impressions of the Debate

Postby wack wack » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:30 am

Huckleby wrote:
Radical Cheerleader wrote:I think Obama will actually do much better at the next two debates

I don't think either of the next two debates will be opportunities to undo the damage of the first debate. Obama does well in town hall format, but it won't reverse the impression of weakness he left in direct confrontation. Foreign policy debate is problematic because of Libya.

The election is tied, and I have no idea what will be critical factor. Who really knows what the persuadable voters in Ohio and Florida are thinking.

Not only CAN the damage from the first debate be undone, but the only debate that really matters is the last one. Not the first, not the VP, not the second, only the last one will make a difference.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:32 am

pjbogart wrote:The media wants a horserace and Obama was running away with the election. The notion that Romney hit a home run is absurd... he hit a fly ball to center and Obama lost it in the sun. Good for a double, but he's no Babe Ruth.

This sounds so much like the right wing talk - blame the media, deny, deny, deny.

Jon Stewart had some good points: Salesmanship is essential to leadership. Losing the debate but winning the post-debate is like losing the election but winning the post-election.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-o ... r-surprise
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Slick Willy » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:41 am

Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Postby Stella_Guru » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:49 pm

Slick Willy wrote:Obama may be a corporatist Democrat, but there are still some distinct differences between him and Romney. Romneycare and Obamacare are similar, but not exactly the same. Romney is proposing vouchers, which is a terrible idea, because the poor and middle class will get the short end of the stick. Their stances on public education and helping college students are also very different. Their tax plans aren't the same, which we would clearly see if Romney were to take office, because he definitely believes in trickle-down economics. The tax loopholes that Romney would eliminate would hurt the middle class much more than the rich. Romney is avoiding giving details about his tax plan for a good reason. There's no question in my mind that Obama is going to be better with foreign relations, and we'll see that in the coming debates.

Good points, but social programs and entitlement cuts are going to happen regardless of who gets elected. I'm voting for Obama with the HOPE that they will be "kinder, gentler, and with compassion."
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby KidCapitol » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:54 pm

http://www.theonion.com/articles/sasha- ... suc,29795/

Sasha Obama Asks Father Why He Was Acting Like Such A Pussy During Debate
OCTOBER 4, 2012 | ISSUE 48•40 | MORE NEWS IN BRIEF

DENVER—Following last night’s nationally televised presidential debate, President Barack Obama’s 11-year-old daughter Sasha reportedly asked her father why he was “acting like such a goddamned pussy up there.” “Daddy, how come you were being such a little bitch?” asked the sixth-grader, who told the president she was “genuinely worried” that maybe somebody had “cut Daddy’s balls off” right before he took the stage. “What happened, Dad? Were you on your period or something? Maybe the next time you’re in front of the entire country for an hour and a half you should try not letting another man spank you on the ass like that.” Sources added that Obama’s youngest daughter then offered to help the president go “look for [his] dick, because apparently it’s gone missing.”
KidCapitol
Forum Addict

Postby Radical Cheerleader » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:46 am

I think the one thing that has frustrated me the most about the two debates so far is both Romney and Ryan's accusation that the Obama administration hasn't passed anything with bipartisan support - you have got to be kidding me.
Radical Cheerleader
Forum Addict

Postby bdog » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:47 am

KidCapitol wrote:...she was “genuinely worried” that maybe somebody had “cut Daddy’s balls off” right before he took the stage.

Jesse Jackson!

This explains so much.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:45 pm

Not sure if anyone wants to start a new thread or just reuse this thread, but I thought the debate was certainly more lively, yet I still think Obama missed some key opportunities.

Why didn't Obama respond to that ridiculous description of "Fast and Furious?" Seriously, it's like Romney's been taking all his cues from Rush Limbaugh. For anyone who's read into the program, Romney's description was complete fantasy. It had absolutely nothing to do with facts.

And saying that you got yourself a "binder full of women" to put some diversity in your cabinet probably isn't the best choice of words.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:51 pm

Obama lied about the terrorist attack in Benghazi.
Romney used a poor choice of words when he described his effort to hire more women.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:58 pm

Obama punked him when he tossed in the 47% comments in closing, knowing Romney would have no opportunity to respond. Now Mittens has to spend a few days defending his flip flop again, at least to 47% of America. Overall, I'd say Obama evened this out. Romney looked frazzled at times and boy was his mouth dry. Looks like he's on a beta blocker for these debates.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:02 pm

Romney's response to the women's issue was awful. Let them go home early to cook dinner? Bravo Mittens. I thought the debate itself was a little better, but how can anyone make a thoughtful statement in two minutes. Granted, neither kept it this short, but I really think they needed more time. Obama was more on game and I thought gave much more specifics than Romney.

I really don't know what to think about this format. The questions seemed to be too similar to the last time. There was some mix up, but not enough. I didn't like the Bush question. I thought that was stupid.

I'll give a slight edge to Obama this time, but not enough to change much in the polls. But hey, lets here what the pundit fuckwads have to say.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:06 pm

david cohen wrote:Now Mittens has to spend a few days defending his flip flop again, at least to 47% of America.

What flip flop? 47% of Americans (like you) are devoted to government wealth redistribution and dependency. Romney has no time to explain it to you. You're already lost. You will always be lost. We all know it and so do you.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:08 pm

Stebben84 wrote:But hey, lets here what the pundit fuckwads have to say.

But we just did, pundit.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:09 pm

Meade wrote:Obama lied about the terrorist attack in Benghazi.
Romney used a poor choice of words when he described his effort to hire more women.

What you're alluding to wasn't true in your last thread and that's not true now, dumbass.

Go back to the statement

Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:10 pm

I'm frankly astonished that Republicans are still going full throttle on the Libya tragedy. The message is completely muddled, it's unclear exactly what they're complaining about. But most importantly, the impression for voters is that Romney's campaign considers nothing off-limits in their politicking. Videos of grieving parents are fair game. Capitalizing on tragedy is dangerous business and I don't think Republicans have been very effective in their attacks.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government