MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 38.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Did Obama lie about people who died?

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Obama lied about people who died

Postby wack wack » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:16 am

Meade wrote:Both statements, official and unofficial, were set up as preludes to two weeks of obfuscation and lies about a video causing mob violence. It was a craven political tactic to obscure the truth that the Obama Doctrine of "leading from behind" is a failure.

Considering that the bold above is a completely empty rhetorical statement, what is the real, practical purpose for the obfuscation and lies? What is Obama hoping to accomplish with this cover-up?
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:24 am

No one knows? Not even Rockstar Dan?

Okay,here is another question:

Is it now understood by everyone that the Benghazi attack was, in fact, an act of terror? Or does anyone here at TDPF still believe it was the spontaneous result of a peaceful protest reacting to a “hateful” and “disgusting” video?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:28 am

Meade wrote:No one knows? Not even Rockstar Dan?

Is it now understood by everyone that the Benghazi attack was, in fact, an act of terror? Or does anyone here at TDPF still believe it was the spontaneous result of a peaceful protest reacting to a “hateful” and “disgusting” video?

dear god, we broke him....

Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:28 am

Meade wrote:Does anyone here know how many days it took before Obama, after the 9/11/12 attack in Benghazi, to directly and explicitly call the attack an "act of terror"? Was it 1 day? 2 days? 7 days? More?

And what was it that prompted him to finally, explicitly, call it an "act of terror"?

1 day.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:40 am

If Obama had been a real leader, he would have immediately pulled all our people out of the Mideast, and then launched an invasion of a tiny Caribbean island to show what a big man he is.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:46 am

Meade wrote:No one knows? Not even Rockstar Dan?

Wouldn't death and destruction as the spontaneous result of a peaceful protest reacting to a “hateful” and “disgusting” video be terrorism, too?
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:51 am

Meade wrote:Candy Crowley acknowledges she got it wrong:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=athcyCTn ... r_embedded

Ouch. You got us there:

"Are you backtracking?" she asked Crowley.

"Goodness, I hope they get back to one another," Crowley replied, before continuing:

Listen, what I said on that stage is the same thing I said to you, actually, last night. What I was trying to do ... I was trying to move this along. The question was Benghazi. There is no question that the administration is quite vulnerable on this topic — that they did take weeks to go, “Well, actually, there really wasn’t a protest and actually didn’t have anything to do with the tape. That took a long time. That’s where he was going. That was his first answer. And then we got hung up on this, “Yes, he said. No, I didn’t. I said terror. You didn’t say terror.” And then there was this point they both kind of looked at me. You know, he was looking at me and the president was looking at me. And what I wanted to move this along — could we get back to this? So I said, “He did say acts of terror, called it an act of terror. But Governor Romney, you are perfectly right that it took weeks for them to get past the tape.
"Not a backtrack?" O'Brien said.

"No," Crowley said.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/1 ... _ref=media
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:05 pm

Is the video really the centerpiece of this controversy? The fact that Obama would try to blame a terrorist attack on a well produced video about how the prophet Mohammed, in fact, fucked goats? We do know that the video created significant unrest in other places in the Middle East, namely Cairo.

There certainly is some suggestion that the terrorist cell in Benghazi saw the unrest as an opportunity to launch an attack. The knee jerk reaction was that the attack on the embassy was a riot gone horribly violent and it was the State Department which quickly backpedaled on the video explanation, saying that the attack was too well coordinated and the attackers too well armed to simply be rioters.

So the White House, feeling a bit of egg on their faces, reverted to the "we're still waiting for all of the facts," which seems like a reasonable position to take. But somehow the initial blaming of the video was a terrible act that has the right-wingers foaming at the mouth. Obama's response was an attack on free speech, an apology to the terrorists.

Even if you assume all of that, it still doesn't amount to a hill of beans. The "cover up" was nothing more than ordinary politicking. Think about it. Even if you accept everything Meade and his ilk are saying, there's still no real controversy to be found.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:22 pm

Alternet's article, "5 Bizarre Examples of Conservative Denial Over Obama's Strong Debate Performance" lists most of the Sandi Meade talking points in example 4, "Transcript Truthers" and 5, "Crowley Said She Was Wrong!"

Hey, at least the two of 'em know how to stay in lockstep.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:57 pm

Meade wrote: Candy Crowley (moronically) backed him up - when he told Romney to "read the transcript" after Romney called Obama on his lie. Crowley completely aided Obama in slithering out of it.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:45 pm

rabble wrote:Alternet's article, "5 Bizarre Examples of Conservative Denial Over Obama's Strong Debate Performance" lists most of the Sandi Meade talking points...

A very funny and perceptive link listing conservative denial behavior. I liked this part:

Republicans have decided that whoever slams their hand on the buzzer first and screams “terrorism!” after an attack is the better stateman and should be the natural winner of any foreign policy debate.

It kind of answers the question I asked earlier (which was "who cares and why do they care?" in a nutshell). Republicans care, and the reason is they think it makes them the winners. I was thinking it meant somebody gets to start a war. Maybe that only happens later.

In neither case do the R's (Rs?) make any sense, and anyway by their own rules they lost, not won.

Look, if you can't even make up game rules that have you win, you're playing way out of your league.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:20 am

Asked if that was a backtrack, Crowley said, “No. The question was — we got so stuck on that ‘act of terror.’ Now, did the President say this was an act of terror? The president did not say — he said ‘these acts of terror,’ but he was in the Rose Garden to talk about Benghazi, so I don’t think that’s a leap.” (The exact phrase Obama used: “no acts of terror.”)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ele ... in-debate/

For two weeks, Obama lied about people who died. Why did he lie? And why did he lie about his lie?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nutria » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:42 am

Meade wrote:For two weeks, ...

Meade reminds me of one of the best characters of one of the 1980's best movies:
nutria
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:47 am

Meade wrote:For two weeks, Obama lied about people who died.

So let me get this straight Larry Lawrence Meade. First he never talked about terrorism, then he never talked about it in on official transcript, then he didn't actually use the word "terrorist" now it's the fact that he used the word "these"

You're a hoot. Keep it up because I want to see what comes next.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:52 am

After reading this thread I realize I need to change how I watch TV.

For example, after a Packers game when coach McCarthy is addressing the media, I need to make sure he really is talking about the current game. When he says something like, I thought ARod was very precise out there. He could be talking about the 2008 season and not the game that finished 15 minutes ago.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government