MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
kayaks
Thursday, August 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 59.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Jason Thompson: "Send Obama back to Kenya"

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Jason Thompson: "Send Obama back to Kenya"

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:23 pm

rabble wrote:
Francis Di Domizio wrote:So in your opinion, what does the fact that Gwen Moore's child was guilty of slashing the tires of vehicles to be used by her political opponents for transportation to the polls on election day say about her character as a mother and leader?

Says she's a bad parent and I wouldn't vote for her.

What were you expecting me to say? Jeez.

Honestly, around here, I wouldn't be surprised to see a double standard.

Personally I disagree with you on both counts. If Dad Thompson had a history of making similar statements, then sure, blame him, but children don't just learn from their parents. I wouldn't be surprised if Jason Thompson picked up his current idea of what's appropriate to say, around the water cooler at work.

I will grant that when it comes to actual hands on parenting, I wouldn't be surprised if either Gwen or Tommy weren't around enough to make a strong good (or bad) impression. I guess it's fair to hold that against both of them.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:48 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote: I wouldn't be surprised if Jason Thompson picked up his current idea of what's appropriate to say, around the water cooler at work.

Isn't he working for his dad?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:54 pm

rabble wrote:
Francis Di Domizio wrote: I wouldn't be surprised if Jason Thompson picked up his current idea of what's appropriate to say, around the water cooler at work.

Isn't he working for his dad?

Not unless his dad's name is Michael, Best and Friedrich.

I'm sure he's "helping" out with the campaign, but based on what others have said in this thread, that's not his primary means of employment.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:59 pm

Well, then yeah maybe he picked it up at the water cooler. And because either that sentiment echoed his dad's or because his dad was unable to put a lick of sense in him, he ran with it.

He is a reflection of his parents, just like the rest of us.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:06 pm

Francis, I hope you warmed up before all this stretching, reaching and tap dancing.

Jason Thompson is an idiot for a variety of reasons and what he says reflects on his dad. He's not the first member of that family to shoot his mouth off and he won't be the last. It's in their DNA.

He'll probably say the exact same thing, or something even dumber, when he gets embarrassingly drunk at his dad's victory party on election night.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:09 pm

I said it goes to TT's character, Frank. Where did I say he was a poor father?
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:12 pm

rabble wrote:Well, then yeah maybe he picked it up at the water cooler. And because either that sentiment echoed his dad's or because his dad was unable to put a lick of sense in him, he ran with it.

I'm not convinced Tommy is a crypto birther who sends his son out to make breezy birther remarks. Surely Jason is freelancing with this stuff.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:31 pm

david cohen wrote:I said it goes to TT's character, Frank. Where did I say he was a poor father?

REALLY?

Sorry, I mistook your meaning. I didn't realize you thought having an son who spews out bigoted rhetoric was a sign of good character. Or was it that you think poor character makes him a good father?

jjoyce wrote:Francis, I hope you warmed up before all this stretching, reaching and tap dancing.

Slow day at work, have to keep the brain active somehow

jjoyce wrote:Jason Thompson is an idiot for a variety of reasons and what he says reflects on his dad. He's not the first member of that family to shoot his mouth off and he won't be the last. It's in their DNA.

I thought the issue was what he said, not that he spoke out of turn?

I agree totally that he is an idiot. Figured "dumb kid" made that clear, but you apparently think that just by attending college and law school one can stop being a "dumb kid".

My opinion (which I'm clearly in the minority with here) is that a child's actions don't always reflect the values of their parents. There is way to much other noise in the mix to put such an onus completely on parents. I know I would hate for people to judge my father by my opinions or behavior. He instilled some of his values in me, but others I learned elsewhere, and he strongly disagrees with. I'm guessing most of us have values and behaviors that differ to some degree from our parents.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:45 pm

I think the Kenya remarks carry multiple meanings. One, clearly, is the "birther" meaning. However, the more insidious meaning is that Obama is an African and we should send African Americans back to Africa. As a child growing up in the South, I remember Lester Maddox making his pronouncement in Atlanta that his solution to the "black problem" was to send all the "blacks" back to Africa. To hear the prominent son of a prominent former Wisconsin Gov. and current Senate candidate echo the sentiments of Lester Maddox is depressing. Talk about not knowing his ass from a hole in the ground!
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:06 pm

My opinion (which I'm clearly in the minority with here) is that a child's actions don't always reflect the values of their parents.... I know I would hate for people to judge my father by my opinions or behavior. He instilled some of his values in me, but others I learned elsewhere, and he strongly disagrees with.

I agree with this.

Put the shoe on the other foot. How many people here would want to be judged for their parents' opinions?

There can be a 180 degree turnaround between generations. Or not.

I don't think Tommy Thompson is a rabid racist.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:40 pm

snoqueen wrote:I don't think Tommy Thompson is a rabid racist.

I agree. But he is a opportunist who will say anything to appease the Tea Party base who have taken over Wisconsin's GOP. And so say the surrogates in his campaign (his kid isn't the only one).
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:41 pm

david cohen wrote:However, the more insidious meaning is that Obama is an African and we should send African Americans back to Africa.

You're right. That's horrifying.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:04 pm

snoqueen wrote:
My opinion (which I'm clearly in the minority with here) is that a child's actions don't always reflect the values of their parents.... I know I would hate for people to judge my father by my opinions or behavior. He instilled some of his values in me, but others I learned elsewhere, and he strongly disagrees with.

I agree with this.

Put the shoe on the other foot. How many people here would want to be judged for their parents' opinions?

There can be a 180 degree turnaround between generations. Or not.

I don't think Tommy Thompson is a rabid racist.

I don't know about "rabid" but the actions of his son make me think he'd be okay with racism if it weren't so damned inconvenient in his politics.

So, Francis, your parents are ashamed of you? My parents disagreed with a lot of my politics and life decisions but except for an incident when I was twelve, I haven't done anything to shame them.

And if I had said what Jason said, they would have been ashamed of me.

Yeah some kids turn out bad no matter what you do. I don't think that's the case here.

And yes, David's reading of the implied meaning in Jason's statement, the "send 'em back there" attitude, is the more insidious.

We try to live up to the ideals our parents gave us, we have to live with the results of our upbringing, and we have to live with the results of our child rearing. What we learn from birth to ten is what counts. That's where we're supposed to get the tools to handle what we run into later.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:22 pm

rabble wrote:So, Francis, your parents are ashamed of you? My parents disagreed with a lot of my politics and life decisions but except for an incident when I was twelve, I haven't done anything to shame them.

And if I had said what Jason said, they would have been ashamed of me

We try to live up to the ideals our parents gave us, we have to live with the results of our upbringing, and we have to live with the results of our child rearing. What we learn from birth to ten is what counts. That's where we're supposed to get the tools to handle what we run into later.

I know you're not this dense, but I'll clarify. No, my parents have not ever been ashamed of me (or at least have never made me feel as if they were). However my point was that it's completely possible for a child to have political views or social views that very greatly from the views if their parents. Perhaps even to the point that your parents might be ashamed of something you do.

I'm sure the parents of the Woodstock generation were not all proud of their children and a few were probably ashamed, does that mean they did a bad job parenting or a good job letting their kids make their own choices?
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:14 am

Francis Di Domizio wrote:My opinion (which I'm clearly in the minority with here) is that a child's actions don't always reflect the values of their parents.

Regardless of whether a child's actions reflect the parent's values, or should, Jason handed his father's opponents an opportunity. Unforced error. In a tight race, that's a mistake. It's the post-"macaca" era, and politicos need to assume a camera is always running. Even when they're making nauseating remarks to friendly audiences.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government