MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, August 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 72.0° F  Thunderstorm Light Rain
Collapse Photo Bar

Anybody else not going to vote anymore?

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Anybody else not going to vote anymore?

Postby Stella_Guru » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:46 am

Donald wrote:Get over yourself, and your silly "expectations." No leader is going to bring you economic democracy, peace and justice. At most our system is set up to take steps toward those goals, and with people like you not understanding the first thing about organizing for change, we will be lucky if we don't take steps backward. You don't think Obama is good enough for you, then vote for whatever alternative your little heart desires. You and your ilk are as big an obstacle to change as is Mitt Romney.

Action has its advocates, and contemplation also has its adherents. But, if you are opposed to the actions of an administration and do or say nothing, the more you are part of it.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:26 am

Francis Di Domizio wrote:There is never going to be an "Ideal" time to look at a third party candidate. Should we continue to accept the least bad candidate just because the other guys is just a touch worse? At what point is enough enough?

Are you satisfied with any of the candidates that run in the primaries?

If you don't like any of the candidates, then you are unusual. There are actually many small alternative parties that may be a better match for you- the Green, Consitutional, Libertarian, Communist Party, etc - and you can cast a symbolic vote for one of them.

If your complaint is that none of your candidates in the primary don't ever get nominations, well, blame democracy.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:21 pm

Huckleby wrote:Are you satisfied with any of the candidates that run in the primaries?
This time around? Huntsman wasn't a home run for me (disagree on social issues) but I liked his honesty, intelligence and willingness to cross party lines. Go figure, he didn't stand a chance.

Huckleby wrote:If your complaint is that none of your candidates in the primary don't ever get nominations, well, blame democracy.

My complaint is that we allow the two major parties to act as if the other parties don't exist, and limit ourselves to a rather tired argument over which of the two has the best solutions, when there are other parties and candidates out there offering new ideas. Candidates that aren't in the pocket of big donors.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:47 pm

johnfajardohenry wrote:The basis is that the people who are pulling the wagon should have more say in the direction it is going than the people riding on it.

Agree? Disagree? Thoughts?

Stupid. Dangerous.

Also the law of the land (see Citizens United).
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:04 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:This time around? Huntsman wasn't a home run for me (disagree on social issues) but I liked his honesty, intelligence and willingness to cross party lines. Go figure, he didn't stand a chance.

Huntsman was, by far, the best Republican in the field. Unlike Romney,he was unwilling to say whatever people wanted to hear.

Francis Di Domizio wrote:My complaint is that we allow the two major parties to act as if the other parties don't exist, and limit ourselves to a rather tired argument over which of the two has the best solutions

Well, it isn't really two candidates, because the field was winnowed-down from about 12 running in the primaries.

I am fond of parliamentary systems, where small parties have input into governing, it's more democratic. But our two-party, strong presidency has had its advantages - the party in power can take unpopular decisions, and that has generally worked for a couple hundred years.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:00 pm

Stella_Guru wrote:
Donald wrote:Get over yourself, and your silly "expectations." No leader is going to bring you economic democracy, peace and justice. At most our system is set up to take steps toward those goals, and with people like you not understanding the first thing about organizing for change, we will be lucky if we don't take steps backward. You don't think Obama is good enough for you, then vote for whatever alternative your little heart desires. You and your ilk are as big an obstacle to change as is Mitt Romney.

Action has its advocates, and contemplation also has its adherents. But, if you are opposed to the actions of an administration and do or say nothing, the more you are part of it.

Boy, I really don't know what to say. Have you ever been involved in real community organizing?

The assumption is people who don't follow your futile actions are doing nothing to make change. I have organized around lots of issues, and the one thing I learned very quickly is it isn't about what I believe, and it isn't about not being a part of the system. In this country when you engage in protest, or political activity, you are part of the system. The thing that matters is it's about using the system in the most effective way to get what the community wants and needs.

I've had to deal with a lot of people who think the game is rigged. Yeah, it is. So, how are you going to change that? Voting for Jill Stein or Gary Johnson isn't a serious response.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:28 am

Donald wrote:Boy, I really don't know what to say. Have you ever been involved in real community organizing?

The assumption is people who don't follow your futile actions are doing nothing to make change. I have organized around lots of issues, and the one thing I learned very quickly is it isn't about what I believe, and it isn't about not being a part of the system. In this country when you engage in protest, or political activity, you are part of the system. The thing that matters is it's about using the system in the most effective way to get what the community wants and needs.

I've had to deal with a lot of people who think the game is rigged. Yeah, it is. So, how are you going to change that? Voting for Jill Stein or Gary Johnson isn't a serious response.

Thanks, well said. We will count you with those who feel that the value of protecting a president from any form of accountability far exceeds the consequences
of his actions. And, the historic pattern of Dems coming in on the high tide of public disgust at Republican rule, but then pushing the pro-corporate agenda further than would be allowable under the Republicans will continue.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby subject » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:30 pm

By not voting you effectively vote for whoever wins. Republicans love it when ppl don't vote.
subject

Previous

Return to National Politics & Government