MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Capitol Heat and Power
Monday, December 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 17.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Impressions of the Debate

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Impressions of the Debate

Postby pjbogart » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:16 pm

The New York Times has an interesting fact-checking treasure trove here.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby butters » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:27 pm

Stebben84 wrote:Third, note that in Romney's story as he tells it, this man who had led and consulted for businesses for 25 years didn't know any qualified women, or know where to find any qualified women. So what does that say?

Good point. One that the Obama campaign should hammer.
butters
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:25 am

Go shop for a binder on Amazon and read the reviews.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:50 am

fisticuffs wrote:Go shop for a binder on Amazon and read the reviews.

Now that's some funny shit.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:51 am

Stebben84 wrote:
fisticuffs wrote:Go shop for a binder on Amazon and read the reviews.

Now that's some funny shit.

Link for the lazy: Binders

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:28 am

I like this one:

Upon realizing it was time for a new binder, I factored in my deservedly less than equal salary & headed for the economy section. I found this binder to be an adequate fit for myself & my 2 grown daughters but am afraid it will be a bit snug when I add my 2 granddaughters. In order to afford the Family Expansion Pack binder I will have to get a second job which will not allow me time to cook & clean. On second thought, maybe I'll just squash the young'uns into the ample pockets...that will allow me to continue saving my money for a dancing horse.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:10 am

Now this is my kind of debate punditry (video, 2:25).

Bonus: The binders make an appearance, as does the ghost of Steve Jobs.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Slick Willy » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:37 am

Romney was trying to appeal to women, and the 'binders full of women' comment was just an example of how disingenuous he was, because you know that he'd never support legislation that required affirmative action policies to hire women. Also, how does it sound when he says that no women were qualified to fill any of his cabinet positions, so his staff had to essentially scour the earth and get binders full of women just to find any who would be good enough? That's not exactly what I would consider to be a compliment to women as a whole.

On a side note, I have to say that there seems to be a ton of criticism coming from the right about the debate moderator, Candy Crowley, particularly in regards to her fact checking interjection about Obama's speech mentioning terror in the Rose Garden.
Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:03 am

ilikebeans wrote:Now this is my kind of debate punditry (video, 2:25).

Bonus: The binders make an appearance, as does the ghost of Steve Jobs.

This made my week. Thank you. Romney punching a panda was one of the best things I've seen in a long, along with Obama doing push-ups smoking a cigarette. Pure genius.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:20 pm

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:09 pm

Very true cartoon there.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:46 pm

If Obama doesn't get a poll bump from second debate, I'm going back into panic mode. I fear the following theory has a chance of being correct:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/1 ... 79490.html

One theory is that Romney's polling bounce is less about Obama losing the first debate than about Romney winning it. The debate may have created "a genuine shift in perceptions of Romney's character," as the New Republic's Nate Cohn puts it, pointing to "several polls showing Romney with improved favorability ratings after the first debate."

This theory is that Romney's performance helped reassure voters who disapprove of Obama, but had been sitting on the fence after months of attacks on Romney by the Obama campaign. As such, Cohn warns, "it wouldn't be wise to expect a big shift in the polls" following the second debate.

Or, as The National Journal's Ron Brownstein argues, "it's not clear that the president can 're-disqualify' Romney among voters reassured in the first encounter."
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Slick Willy » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:00 am

Huckleby wrote:If Obama doesn't get a poll bump from second debate, I'm going back into panic mode.

The first debate is by far the most important not only in terms of first (or reintroduced) impressions, but also in terms of timing, and the damage has been done. Obama supporters just need to accept that. Most voters won't keep changing their minds back and forth within a month of the election. Now a lot more voters feel like they know who Romney is and what he's capable of under pressure, and that's gonna stick. He came out of the first debate appearing more "presidential" to a lot of people who didn't know Romney very well before. The second debate was by no means a blowout win for Obama, so it really was more about reassuring people who were still leaning toward Obama, but weren't totally sure. Obama made a big mistake in both debates of not really giving anyone hope for the future. He may have done too much of that in 2008, but he still needed to bring (as every candidate should) a vision for the future. Many undecideds won't even watch the third debate, especially since it deals with the most boring subject matter for average Americans: foreign policy. Obama seems to be ahead when looking at an average of all polls, but for some reason Gallup has Obama way behind. I think that Obama might win the 270 electoral votes he needs without getting the popular vote.
Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Postby wack wack » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:09 am

Slick Willy wrote:
Huckleby wrote:If Obama doesn't get a poll bump from second debate, I'm going back into panic mode.

The first debate is by far the most important not only in terms of first (or reintroduced) impressions, but also in terms of timing, and the damage has been done. Obama supporters just need to accept that.

First debate didn't matter. VP debate didn't matter. Second debate didn't matter. Only the third debate will matter.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:13 am

wack wack wrote:Only the third debate will matter.

and the Master Debater will come out on top.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government