MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 78.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Musicians who flummox

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.

Re: Musicians who flummox

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:38 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote: is a well-executed, musicianly doo-wop pastiche like "The Longest Time" lame solely because it's not actual doo-wop?
Not necessarily, but to my ears, it is in Joel's hands. I guess I don't hear the musicianly part; all I hear is 14 too many Billy Joels.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:41 pm

ilikebeans wrote:
Prof. Wagstaff wrote:(although I defy him to name anyone who he's influenced.)

Plenty of pianists; Ben Folds immediately comes to mind.
Really? I'll have to take your word for it, I guess (certainly about Folds, as I'm not familiar enough with his music to judge for myself.) My next question, then, is "Why?"
Never thought Joel was much of a pianist. Sounds like a hotel lobby kinda player to me.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:52 pm

Christie Brinkley ruined him. I alway liked "Captain Jack."
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:01 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
ilikebeans wrote:
Prof. Wagstaff wrote:(although I defy him to name anyone who he's influenced.)

Plenty of pianists; Ben Folds immediately comes to mind.
Really? I'll have to take your word for it, I guess (certainly about Folds, as I'm not familiar enough with his music to judge for myself.) My next question, then, is "Why?"
Never thought Joel was much of a pianist. Sounds like a hotel lobby kinda player to me.

For what it's worth:

http://www.wisconsingazette.com/intervi ... c-set.html
Gregg Shapiro: In the pantheon of piano men, do you consider yourself more like Elton John or Billy Joel?

Ben Folds: I have to say kind of neither. In that I write the whole song myself and that I'm American, Billy Joel. Maybe in terms of style of harmony … there’s something that I have in common with Elton John. I listened to a lot of Elton John when I was a kid. I didn’t really have Billy Joel’s records until later. I think Billy Joel’s a fucking genius songwriter.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:32 pm

Thanks for the link. Gotta say though, it sounds to me like Folds doesn't really consider either Elton or Billy influences, he just likes their music. He's clearly dodging the suggestion that there are only two worthwhile singing piano players and therefore he must be like at least one of them. (Seriously, what a stupid interview question, especially as an opener.)
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:02 pm

Children of Thalidomide!!!
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:26 pm

Here's one, or should I say two, for all you night owls out there in Foronland ...

Kenny Rogers and Kenny Loggins.

Both have their charms, and are perhaps two classics of their own kind. But both are saddled with a whole heap of cultural saddle baggage.

There's no denying the cheese factor, nor the star power concentrated in this clip, barely juiced by the grizzled Michael McDonald:

Kenny Loggins - Kenny Rogers - Minute By Minute
http://vimeo.com/37878561

What to make of Kenny 1 and Kenny 2?
christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:03 am

Steve Howe from Yes. I always thought they would have sounded good with a ballsy guitar tone to offset Jon Anderson. He could have borrowed some from Gary Richrath.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:43 am

christopher_robin wrote:Here's one, or should I say two, for all you night owls out there in Foronland ...

Kenny Rogers and Kenny Loggins.

Arguing for the defense, I give you two top-10 singles for the ages: Kenny Rogers and the First Edition, "Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In)"; and Kenny Loggins, "I'm Alright (Theme from 'Caddyshack')." The first is a rarity, rockin' psychedelia that's excellent and non-dumb. The second is wondrous, joyful, and not just because it makes me think of a dancing gopher.

I'm pretty accepting of stone country Rogers tracks like "Lucille," less accepting of crossover pop stuff like "Lady." I don't have much else nice to say about Loggins. Well, he did cowrite the Doobie Brothers' "What a Fool Believes," a perfect song.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:45 am

When I was a lad of 10 or so, circa 1982, this live clip of Kenny Loggins' "I'm Alright" was an early MTV staple. Watching, I longed to be in that shaggy, shirtless crowd. Those people are having a wonderful time. And man, can that guy sing.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:54 am

Count me in as a fan of "I'm Alright."

I also dig "This Is It"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WflkuBweSYo

I used to have an old Loggins and Messina cassette that I *think* was awesome, but this was a long time ago. Anything from that era I should revisit?

All that said, I find myself unable to mount a rousing defense for either Kenny (Let us not speak of "Dangerzone"). Thanks for taking that difficult position, Kenneth.
christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:58 am

christopher_robin wrote:I also dig "This Is It"

Damn you, now that will be in my head all day.

christopher_robin wrote: (Let us not speak of "Dangerzone")

Ha, that song is great. We actual named and labeled one of our tools at work "dangerzone"
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:28 am

christopher_robin wrote:I used to have an old Loggins and Messina cassette that I *think* was awesome, but this was a long time ago. Anything from that era I should revisit?

I only know that one hit. I associate Loggins and Messina with thrift store LP bins.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:31 am

christopher_robin wrote:I also dig "This Is It"

Yacht rock was a good move for Kenny.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:39 am

Know what I don't get? Post-Roger-Waters Pink Floyd. They sold seven million records in the late 80s and early 90s, not counting the massively popular live albums from that period.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to General Music