MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, July 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 62.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Musicians who flummox

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.

Re: Musicians who flummox

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:55 am

I cannot rouse myself to care enough about either Kenny to actually attack them too harshly. I've certainly never listened to enough by either to form anything but a shallow and dismissive opinion. I think "Coward Of The County" is hilarious. That counts for something, right? I can't think of any Loggins songs I like. (No, not even "I'm Alright". I admitted to the "My Life"/Bosom Buddies connection upthread, but I'll be damned if I've ever understood why anybody ever thought Caddyshack had a good soundtrack. Between all the Loggins and that damn Journey song... oy!)

Kenneth Burns wrote:Know what I don't get? Post-Roger-Waters Pink Floyd.
The saddest part: It's slightly better than post-Pink Floyd Roger Waters, which is mostly unlistenable. I remember playing Radio K.A.O.S. like four times in a row, desperately searching for something redeemable about it. I don't think I ever found anything.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:56 am

I love "Just Dropped In" but would hardly say it's not dumb. It's psych-by-the-studio-numbers, written by country/folk ace Mickey Newbury. KB, if want to hear some rockin' psych that's not dumb, check out Da Capo (well side 1) or Forever Changes by Love.

I can't really get behind much of his solo stuff, but I did delve fairly deep into the KR & First Edition catalog over the last year. There's some worthwhile stuff and some dreck, often in about equal quantities per LP, so most sane folks will have more than enough with that old silver-cover greatest hits LP. The standout album comes after their popularity collapsed: the Michael Murphey-Larry Cansler written concept LP The Ballad of Calico, though that's only got lead vocals from KR on a couple tracks. There's also some surprisingly tough swamp-psych on Monumental.

as for Kenny Loggins ... a couple good singles, and I can't get into him otherwise. bleh. Never liked Loggins and Messina, either, though I do like a couple of that era's songs as done by others (House at Pooh Corner, Danny's Song).
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:01 am

I'm also a fan of Loggins and Stevie Nicks' magnum opus "Whenever I Call You Friend," with a vocal arrangement in the intro that's seemingly lifted from "I'm Alright."
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:05 am

I never got the Smiths.

Apropos the thread title, there ought to be a local band called The Flummocks.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:31 am

minicat wrote:I love "Just Dropped In" but would hardly say it's not dumb. It's psych-by-the-studio-numbers, written by country/folk ace Mickey Newbury.

My benchmark for dumb psychedelia is "Incense and Peppermints." "Just Dropped In" compares pretty favorably. Newbury was good at this stuff. My favorite Linda Ronstadt song is the Newbury-penned "Are My Thoughts With You?", which has a psychedelic lyric that's similarly evocative and tasteful.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:46 am

Kenneth, if you haven't already you might want to check out Newbury's Harlequin Melodies (or it's sort-of reissue LP, Sings His Own) ... if you see either in the bins. I think there's also a CD reissue with all his RCA '60s material in one place. That's where the Ronstadt cover originates. If I remember correctly, the First Edition's "Just Dropped In" actually pre-dates Newbury's recording.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:14 am

Thanks! I love that clip of Ronstadt on "Hee Haw." Cathy Baker: "Linda Ronstadt is just groovy, and she likes peanut butter, too."
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:28 am

fennel wrote:I never got the Smiths.

Big ditto here. Could a fan please explain the allure?
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:10 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:My benchmark for dumb psychedelia is "Incense and Peppermints."

The Peanut Butter Conspiracy - "It's A Happening Thing"

...love is the grooviest thing
Up till now
In the world...

I'm of the opinion that The Silver Fox is pretty much the nadir of moron country, but I'll admit that I harbor an inexplicable fondness for "But You Know I Love You" - if for no other reason than how incredibly out of tune Kenny gets on some of the higher notes. Putting that kind of suck on vinyl takes a truly epic level of solipsism.

Combine that with the legendary gambling problem and the chain of chicken restaurants and it's a wonder Kenny's not a congressman from some red state.

Oh shit - I better not give him any ideas.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:19 pm

Don't get me wrong. I love "Incense and Peppermints." That is freedom rock I will always turn up.

The other day I heard, on an AM oldies station here in Knoxville, "A Whiter Shade of Pale." Hadn't heard it in a long time. I listened closely and was really impressed. This is some quality psychedelia. Regal arrangement, passionate singing, baffling lyrics. Sounded great on AM.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:40 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:"A Whiter Shade of Pale."
This should not be lumped in with the one-hit wonders and purveyors of bubblegum psych.

Procol Harum are the real deal and if you're only familiar with this hit, you really should check out their early albums (I like much of their later stuff too, but it's not the place to start.) Their first three albums -- Procol Harum, Shine On Brightly, and especially A Salty Dog -- are all spectacular.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-EECUriK90
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_W67hc6HgQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlZT8vBC7dg
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:47 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
This should not be lumped in with the one-hit wonders and purveyors of bubblegum psych.

But -- wasn't Procul Harum a one-hit wonder?
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:49 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:
Prof. Wagstaff wrote:

But -- wasn't Procul Harum a one-hit wonder?

Only in the U.S.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:50 pm

Marvell wrote:Combine that with the legendary gambling problem and the chain of chicken restaurants and it's a wonder Kenny's not a congressman from some red state.

That's just part of it. Then there is the phone sex scandal.

I few years back I was in Page, Arizona and took a tour of the Glen Canyon Dam, which created Lake Powell. Seems Rogers has a house boat docked nearby. The locals I talked to that knew him all said he was a grade A asshole.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:04 pm

Just for the record regarding Procol Harum: "Homburg", one of the songs I linked to, also made Top 40, and they had one more minor hit a few years later. But yeah, they are mostly forgotten today except for "Pale", which is certainly one of their finest moments.

But personally, I only apply the term "One-Hit Wonder" to artists who had only one hit and any other material is pretty much inconsequential (or non-existent.) Yeah, I know that's not how it's generally used, but there are too many great bands relegated to OHW status who should be much better known. Procol Harum deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as The Zombies, The Animals, and other great British bands of that era, IMO.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to General Music