MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
canoe rack
Wednesday, July 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 78.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Obama Campaign: Foreign Donations Continue

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Obama Campaign: Foreign Donations Continue

Postby Sandi » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:02 pm

Obama campaign still accepting foreign Web donation. Via The New York Post
Took in $2 million from those with incomplete ZIPs in September and more with no zip code at all. It appears all you need is a valid card, no checks will be made.

Chris Walker, a British citizen who lives outside London, told The Post he was able to make two $5 donations to President Obama’s campaign this month through its Web site while a similar attempt to give Mitt Romney cash was rejected. It is illegal to knowingly solicit or accept money from foreign citizens.

Walker said he used his actual street address in England but entered Arkansas as his state with the Schenectady, NY, ZIP code of 12345.

“When I did Romney’s, the payment got rejected on the grounds that the address on the card did not match the address that I entered,” he said. “Romney’s Web site wanted the code from the back of card. Barack Obama’s didn’t.”

“All the ZIP codes and numbers are real and can be verified,” spokesman Michael Czin said.

The Obama campaign’s apparent lack of safeguards makes it possible to violate the law, says a report released by the Government Accountability Institute, a Florida-based watchdog group.

The report found that one Obama site — Obama.com — gets almost half of its traffic from foreign computer addresses. The site directs users to an Obama donation page.

“We are not suggesting that just foreign traffic by itself is a problem,” said Peter Schweizer, president of the GAI. “But for a campaign that is very sophisticated in its fund-raising capabilities, they do not make one effort to try to even see or ask somebody to check a box that says they are a US citizen.”
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Obama Campaign: Foreign Donations Continue

Postby massimo » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:18 pm

No mention of how much money is flooding in from Kenya? The Post is really slipping.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:41 pm

Of course when Romney donates to his own campaign all that wealth is coming from the money he "earned" by outsourcing jobs to China and laundering that money through subsidiaries in no tax foreign countries.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:18 pm

Donald wrote:Of course when Romney donates to his own campaign all that wealth is coming from the money he "earned" by outsourcing jobs to China and laundering that money through subsidiaries in no tax foreign countries.

Well the Obama money doesn't have to be laundered, the obama.com redirect website anonymously is owned by China-based campaign bundler Robert Roche, the co-founder and Chairman of the Board of Acorn International Inc.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:58 pm

I'll bet many of those donations came from Vermont. (Which to the Rs is as about as foreign as one can get.)
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:04 pm

Citizens' United, my friend, means foreigners are people, too.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:46 pm

Do you seriously believe if a foreign entity wants to donate to help Romney, they can't find a committee to take their money?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:57 pm

snoqueen wrote:Do you seriously believe if a foreign entity wants to donate to help Romney, they can't find a committee to take their money?

Attempts on Romney's site do not fail the credit card and IP test.

Yeah I am sure if I tried hard enough I could find a committee to take Romney money.

What in the world has that to do with an Obama website that takes money from anyone anywhere with no questions and no checks what-so-ever? Duck dodge and weave... attempt to normalize a sick practice by stating there are other ways to cheat.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:31 pm

I find it amusing that in these times of money literally flooding in from an almost infinite number of untraceable sources, to both parties and every candidate, Sandi is pretending that a couple drops in the bucket might have failed some sort of criteria test, because that money went to a candidate she wishes would lose the election.

I thought she had principles. They were pretty lax, but I thought she had some.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:33 pm

Whether or not you like the security on one particular Obama web site has no bearing on the flow of money to either candidate from any source foreign or domestic. Why is this bothering you?

If you want to normalize a sick process you need to talk to Clarence Thomas and Antonin Scalia, though I doubt they'd listen.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:41 pm

snoqueen wrote:Whether or not you like the security on one particular Obama web site has no bearing on the flow of money to either candidate from any source foreign or domestic. Why is this bothering you?

If you want to normalize a sick process you need to talk to Clarence Thomas and Antonin Scalia, though I doubt they'd listen.

Show me another political campaign site, for any office, and any year ( past or present ) that allows credit cards with no security code and on IP check. ANY SITE.

Google is your friend.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:48 pm

Sandi, it looks like you're following a script. You're perseverating on a minor point of little relevance.

Are you arguing that one campaign gets more foreign contributions than the other?
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:01 pm

Hey hey...people.

Let us not argue the small details.

Let us look with 20/20 vision after the victor is declared.

If the winner raised more money than his opponent...then we shall say "Democracy died tonight".

Agreed?
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:09 pm

Thank god we have moderates like Sandi around to sniff out corruption. I mean, the woman is practically a bloodhound with her tireless efforts to expose both Democrats and Republicans when they stray from the golden beam of justice! I, for one, always feel better informed when she lets us know, complete with unbiased links, about serious issues that affect our democracy.

If she isn't Jason's #1, then the rest of you might as well hand in your ribbons.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:10 pm

fennel wrote:Sandi, it looks like you're following a script. You're perseverating on a minor point of little relevance.

Are you arguing that one campaign gets more foreign contributions than the other?

If I find, or someone shows, with equal credibility Romney accepting foreign contributions I will hammer it just as hard as I did on this.

BTW how is accepting foreign contributions ( over 2 million with no, or incomplete IP check alone ), "a minor point of little relevance?"

Use the link, or google yourself instead of using your own disbelief as a script.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to National Politics & Government