MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, August 2, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 59.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Impressions of the Debate

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Impressions of the Debate

Postby Bludgeon » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:56 am

Slick Willy wrote:
Huckleby wrote:Obama won the debate but Romney won the politics.

Romney has played the political game very well. He deserves credit for that even if he isn't getting my vote. Undecided women voters don't care who won this last debate. Romney was in attack mode at the right time and in safe/likeable mode at the right time. Obama was just trying to keep up with the popularity contest. He should have switched his persona from tonight with the Obama from the first debate.

You could almost argue that Obama's "victories" in the 2nd and 3rd debate did as much to hurt him as his loss in the first debate.

Trying to play catch up, all his varnish turned to tarnish.

Romney didn't have to figure out a way to match Barrack in seeming "presidential", Obama just threw off the prestige all by himself. Some of the less sophisticated lefties demanded after the first debate that Obama go into "attack mode", I can't believe he and Joe Biden obliged.

Functionally, Romney didn't have to try to elevate his status because Obama did the work for him. Romney didn't need to win points after the first debate, he just needed to come off as an acceptable alternative to the president. By all accounts he did, and no one helped him more than the current president and vice president.

Mystifyingly, Barack took the advice of Chris Matthews and company... It's been a surreal thing to witness, to say the least.

Strategically, Romney simply wrapped himself around a lot of the president's best foreign policy strengths; one might say "point, Obama," but tactically that's point Romney; he clarified the differences that helped him and basically absorbed the differences that helped Obama, and really came off looking better in a lot of cases.
Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:19 am

Obama lost his chance in the mid-terms. All he needed to do is move back to the middle ( as Clinton did ). If he had done so, he would also be cruising to an easy second term victory now.

From what I have read this morning, many Romney supporters are wishing that they saw the same level of aggressiveness from Romney that they saw from Obama. I disagree.

It played well for Obama’s base, and would have for the Romney base too, however the votes to be won here are among the undecideds, or the few votes that can still be changed. To those I have a hunch that aggressiveness comes across as snarky or condescending.

The fact that Romney was consistent and finished strong has probably won the day.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:06 am

Bludgeon wrote:
Slick Willy wrote:
Huckleby wrote:Obama won the debate but Romney won the politics.

Romney has played the political game very well. He deserves credit for that even if he isn't getting my vote. Undecided women voters don't care who won this last debate. Romney was in attack mode at the right time and in safe/likeable mode at the right time. Obama was just trying to keep up with the popularity contest. He should have switched his persona from tonight with the Obama from the first debate.

You could almost argue that Obama's "victories" in the 2nd and 3rd debate did as much to hurt him as his loss in the first debate.

Trying to play catch up, all his varnish turned to tarnish.

Romney didn't have to figure out a way to match Barrack in seeming "presidential", Obama just threw off the prestige all by himself. Some of the less sophisticated lefties demanded after the first debate that Obama go into "attack mode", I can't believe he and Joe Biden obliged.

Functionally, Romney didn't have to try to elevate his status because Obama did the work for him. Romney didn't need to win points after the first debate, he just needed to come off as an acceptable alternative to the president. By all accounts he did, and no one helped him more than the current president and vice president.

Mystifyingly, Barack took the advice of Chris Matthews and company... It's been a surreal thing to witness, to say the least.

Strategically, Romney simply wrapped himself around a lot of the president's best foreign policy strengths; one might say "point, Obama," but tactically that's point Romney; he clarified the differences that helped him and basically absorbed the differences that helped Obama, and really came off looking better in a lot of cases.

This has got to be the single most delusional analysis I've read all morning. Congratulations!
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:14 am

Bludgeon wrote:You could almost argue that Obama's "victories" in the 2nd and 3rd debate did as much to hurt him as his loss in the first debate.

You could argue anything at all. But ... why?

Come on, Bludgeon. Show at least a smidgeon of self-respect here. We know you're not an idiot; but when you post this silly partisan nonsense it makes you look like one.

The first debate was pretty much a disaster for Obama. We get that. But he's clearly won the subsequent debates, including last night's.

No, Romney didn't do badly enough to cripple his campaign or anything like that, and the debates may not have given Obama a huge boost in the polls. But it's pure nonsense to claim that Obama's victories (not "victories") in the last two debates did anything to hurt his campaign. The only question is whether and how much they helped.

Claiming that the last two debates "did as much to hurt him as his loss in the first debate" only detracts from whatever else you might post here. Are you sure you don't want to walk back that comment?
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:44 am

Sandi wrote:All he needed to do is move back to the middle ( as Clinton did ). If he had done so, he would also be cruising to an easy second term victory now.

Considering the right wing is so far right, Obama being in the middle is now considered far left.

Sandi wrote:To those I have a hunch that aggressiveness comes across as snarky or condescending.

Except when Romney does it in the first debate. Then it's considered presidential.

Bludgeon wrote:You could almost argue that Obama's "victories" in the 2nd and 3rd debate did as much to hurt him as his loss in the first debate.

So even though Obama won those two debates he still lost. :roll:
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:47 am

So even though Obama won those two debates he still lost.

Probably. Get used to it. :lol:
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:50 am

Stebben84 wrote:
Sandi wrote:
Missing from the debate was any discussion of climate change. Crowley claims she wanted to ask a question about that, but didn't have time.

Wasn't missing, it is a non-issue.

Says no credible scientist ever.

Total claimed difference between minimum and maximum temperatures 1900 to 2010:

0.8 degrees

Accuracy/precision of measurement:

+/- 3 to 4 degrees

You go ahead and worry about it for both of us, Stebben. I have more important things on my mind.

Like the tooth fairy.

BTW: Still waiting for you to fill us in on your background. Can I expect that in the next day or so?

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:56 am

johnfajardohenry wrote:BTW: Still waiting for you to fill us in on your background. Can I expect that in the next day or so?

You're the one so full of yourself that you insist on telling us how completely awesome you are.

I'm a unicorn wrangler and I've been an educator at the GoFuckYourself University for over 180 years.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:57 am

kurt_w wrote:The first debate was pretty much a disaster for Obama. We get that. But he's clearly won the subsequent debates, including last night's.

Does it matter who "won" the debates?

Let's say that Obama won 2&3 and Biden won his.

What good has it done them?

They continue to slide dramatically in the polls. They once had a lock on NC. Paul Begala said yesterday that they were giving up on it.

Even Wisconsin is getting pretty close to going for Romney.

PA seems to be in play.

A prominent Jewish newspaper in Chicago has endorsed Romney. First time they have endorsed a repo. Ditto about 100 other papers who were big Obama supporters in 08.

Winning the debates may not have done Obama any good at all.

As someone said elsewhere "Obama tried to win the debates, Romney tried to win the election."

I still want Obama to win but I fear I am going to awaken on Wed and find a lump of coal in my stocking.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:59 am

Stebben84 wrote:
johnfajardohenry wrote:BTW: Still waiting for you to fill us in on your background. Can I expect that in the next day or so?

You're the one so full of yourself that you insist on telling us how completely awesome you are.

I'm a unicorn wrangler and I've been an educator at the GoFuckYourself University for over 180 years.

You asked my background, I obliged.

I hoped for some reciprocity. I expected dishonesty and was not disappointed.

Enjoy your sad little life, Stebben.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:22 am

johnfajardohenry wrote:Does it matter who "won" the debates?

Let's say that Obama won 2&3 and Biden won his.

What good has it done them?

Irrelevant. Maybe it did them lots of good, maybe none at all.

But Bludgeon was acting like a partisan hack. He posted something that was Grade A unadulterated nonsense. I was pointing that out.

The claim that "You could almost argue that Obama's 'victories' in the 2nd and 3rd debate did as much to hurt him as his loss in the first debate" is just plain laughable. I don't care whether you are for Obama or against him. If you can't see how absurd that statement is, how detached from reality it is, then you have no business commenting on political threads here.

Don't be a troll, folks. Please.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:26 am

johnfajardohenry wrote:Enjoy your sad little life, Stebben.

If only I could have absorbed your wisdom of refrigeration at the many "universities" you have educated at. Alas, my life is an empty shell without your knowledge.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:47 am

is johnfaaarthenty angry sheppy?
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:55 am

I'm a little more positive about debate consequences the day after. I don't think so many people watched the debate, so Romney's smartly moderate performance won't count so much. The news & entertainment reaction will be more important. "Obama won" in media results in a net plus for him.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:03 am

Sandi wrote:The fact that Romney was consistent and finished strong has probably won the day.

The "consistent" part is a good point. Romney is an excellent debater, a really sharp and impressive guy, and he showed well in all three debates. I've been saying for 2 years that he was a real threat to Obama.

Romney hasn't won "the day" if by that you mean the election. He won the debate season, obviously. I still give Obama a slight edge on the election.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government