MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Tuesday, October 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 40.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Early voting

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Early voting

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:39 pm

Early voting started today.
About 75 people were lined up outside the city of Madison clerk's office before it opened at 8 a.m. Monday.
As of 3:06 p.m. Monday, 910 ballots were cast.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:08 pm

Just as a thought experiment - what is the earliest time that you would consider it prudent to cast an early ballot? To me, early voting is essentially saying, "There is nothing that could happen between now and Nov. 6 that could change my mind on any of my votes", which strikes me as being closed-minded. At this point, only two weeks before election day, it's not that big of a deal. But it would obviously be crazy if voters were permitted the option to mail in a straight-ticket (e.g. "whoever the Republican candidate is") ballot for all future elections until their death, for instance. Where would you draw the line? Some suggestions:

1. During the year of the election
2. At the start of the current officeholder's term (e.g. voting for President 2016 begins January 21, 2013)
3. Once the party nominations are complete
4. After a candidate has announced their candidacy
5. No restrictions. If an election is scheduled for sometime in the future, you may submit your vote now.

Another option might be that one can submit their future votes at any time, but re-cast them at any point up until the established election day. This could be done anonymously and could be a different sort of indicator than phone polling.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:06 pm

ArturoBandini wrote:Just as a thought experiment - what is the earliest time that you would consider it prudent to cast an early ballot?

I just mailed-in my 2016 vote for Hillary.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:34 pm

Huckleby wrote:
ArturoBandini wrote:Just as a thought experiment - what is the earliest time that you would consider it prudent to cast an early ballot?

I just mailed-in my 2016 vote for Hillary.

I just telepathically recorded my 2048 vote for my daughter.

She'd make a brilliant president, assuming we still have a country in 2048.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:43 pm

Not that I want to show off or anything, but I voted for Obama 2012 in 1896. The time machine carrying my ballot will arrive in the city clerk's office on election day.

Lucky for me voter ID is not in effect!
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Steve Vokers » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:48 pm

I'm old school. I like the tradition of going to vote on election day.
Steve Vokers
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:03 pm

Steve Vokers wrote:I'm old school. I like the tradition of going to vote on election day.

Yeah, me too. I'd rather do that. But I'm going to be on a business trip on Election Day, so I figured if I have to vote absentee, I might as well get it over with early.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:09 pm

I'm a vote on Election Day guy as well.
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Woofer » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:33 pm

I voted this morning. I guess as I get older, I think I should vote as soon as I can. What if my heart vapor locks between now and election day? Or I could get hit by a bus? Either way... now I'm covered!
Woofer
Forum Addict

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:45 pm

I'll probably vote early. I really can't see anything crazy happening in a weeks time. Even if it did, the number of people who don't vote early would change it in the right direction.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:12 pm

Average Joe wrote:I'm a vote on Election Day guy as well.

Why not a belt and suspenders approach?

File an absentee ballot early every election, it is easy as pie, and it is good insurance policy if something keeps you from the poll. Then on election day you can go through the motions, go to your polling station, mill about and smell that fresh air of democracy.

Show a little initiative, get a fake id and vote again.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:57 am

ArturoBandini wrote:... it would obviously be crazy if voters were permitted the option to mail in a straight-ticket (e.g. "whoever the Republican candidate is") ballot for all future elections until their death...

Now look what you did. This will be the next law they pass, once they get Voter ID nailed down.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:43 am

Woofer wrote:I voted this morning. I guess as I get older, I think I should vote as soon as I can. What if my heart vapor locks between now and election day? Or I could get hit by a bus? Either way... now I'm covered!

If you are dead, the absentee vote doesn't count in WI, but does in Ohio now

kurt_w wrote:
Steve Vokers wrote:I'm old school. I like the tradition of going to vote on election day.

Yeah, me too. I'd rather do that. But I'm going to be on a business trip on Election Day, so I figured if I have to vote absentee, I might as well get it over with early.

Haven't been in the position where I can't make it to the polls yet, but if I were, early definitely makes more sense.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:09 pm

Done. Ms Vilas and I stood in line and cast our votes at the City County Bldg. About 15 minutes total, at around 2 pm. Hope that slows down the robocalls and knocks on the door, as I believe some of the GOTV efforts check the public records to see who has already voted.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Steve Vokers » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:25 pm

Henry Vilas wrote: Hope that slows down the robocalls and knocks on the door, as I believe some of the GOTV efforts check the public records to see who has already voted.

Now THERE'S a reason to vote early.
Steve Vokers
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government